Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Avoiding the Pikes Peak report...still trying to "be proud" of my accomplishment.

My report: Hardest damn day of my life. Altitude sickness WELL before A-Frame (10 miles). Zombie walked and stopped A LOT above tree line. Literally had to "sprint" up the rocks on the top to make it under the 6 hr 30 minute cut off finish time. Been beating myself up for days. Finally starting to just say "I did it--the damn toughest race of my life!"

Disappointed in my performance. (Last year I did 5:48) Second guessing my training. Wondering what I could of done better. Maybe it was just a bad (race) day.

I have WONDERFUL friends that supported me before, during and after with great words of encouragement. I had to finish just not to disappoint them. They still think I did something amazing.

I REALLY earned my medal and and shirt this year.
    Nope, not doing it next year--hope to support and cheer on my SO. Maybe 2014.

Haven't run since...but I'm signed up for a HM in Nov...may go for a PR

Thanks of asking.

K
    katluvr

Hey kat,

A local friend of mine did the 26.2. He runs five to seven marathons every month, has done a number of 50Ks including some very tough trail races, and at least one 50-miler. He said flatly that this year's Pike's Peak was his toughest run ever.

So, BE PROUD of yourself!

ETA: nice job you too jess! I missed that you were doing it. I'm in awe of you mountain goats.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 08-24-2012 at 04:37 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    congrats, Jess and Kat!!! I always wanted to do Pikes Peak, but after climbing our first 14er this summer (Mt. Elbert in Leadville), I don't know that I can do it. We'd done lots of mountaing climbing and lots of summits at or below 12,000 ft. There is a MAJOR difference in climbing a 12,000 ft peak and a 14,000 ft peak- I had no idea! Many kudos to you for finishing. I bow to you!!!

And I thought my 12 miles in the sticky hot dreadfully sweltering heat this morning was hard....
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Not many hot August miles in this thread.

I'm still working through "post big event" and "post vacation" depression. At to it TS Isaac! UGH!

So I'm really moving back into "training"...I have a MS Bike Ride (150 miles) in about 5 weeks. So it was back on the bike for 40 miles on Sat & 33 on Sunday. My legs were ok, but my sitz (sp?)bones are in shock!

Made it out today at noon in a mist and strong wind to do 3.4 easy-ish miles. No garmin, no pace, just me. I'm 11 weeks out from a HM some friends wanted me to do with them...so its back to full on training I guess!

And thanks all for the kind words! I am truly glad to be done with the mountain!

K
    katluvr

Pike's peak is one race I can't imagine attempting. I don't like the hills around here... Just finishing that thing is a great accomplishment!

In a sure sign of middle-age, I somehow managed to tweak something in my back bending over to feed the cats last Thursday. Took it easy over the weekend (couldn't really do much else), and the pain was down to just some achiness and stiffness when I woke up this morning, so I went out for a short run. Just 2 miles, and it felt fine. I'm stiff and achy again after much sitting today. Funny how running and biking are easier on the back than sitting...

Did 21 Saturday morning! Last super long run before my marathon, though I will run approx 20 miles (split into 3 chunks) in the Ragnar relay in 2 weeks. I think 21 was easier than 18, but it still hurt.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Got rained out on Tuesday morning-- it went from pleasant drizzle to downpour within the first .25 mile, so I went home. Instead, I did some doggy intervals in the evening, mainly chasing squirrels with Stella. I'm used to pavement, not grass! It was higher speeds and shorter distances than I do on my own, with some agility work thrown in. Great fun!

This morning I finally got a "real" run in again. 5.9 miles, in 50 minutes, which is crazy fast for me. I wasn't trying to go fast, didn't feel like I was going fast, and yet... I'm going to take off a couple days before my next 10k, just to see if it will help.

13 today, and it was awful. Nothing specific, just mentally not there. Seemed to drag on forever and I think I "quit running" about 10 times today

Least it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    13 today, and it was awful. Nothing specific, just mentally not there. Seemed to drag on forever and I think I "quit running" about 10 times today

Least it's over.
    Good job! I'm supposed to run 4 hours tomorrow. I will probably quit at least that many times. Ran 4 miles last night after work at 4:30 pm and I nearly quit every half mile it was so stupid hot and humid and miserable.

Temps are forecasted to be in the mid 80's next weekend for my 50K trail race (which I'm really debating turning into the 25K option). It's been in the high 90's and supposed to be in the low 100's this week. I'm SO over this dreadful summer. I can't WAIT until fall arrives...

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Good luck! The idea of running 4 hours right now sounds miserable, though most of my long runs have been with someone too fast. Perhaps running 4 at a relaxed pace wouldn't be so bad.

On the fall note - the leaves are turning and starting to fall on the route we did today. It's early for that and supposedly it's because of how dry it's been, but it smelled like fall this morning and that was the happiest thing that came out of this run. It'll still be 90 tomorrow, but if I'm up early enough I can pretend like the seasons are changing!

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    A little late, but great job, kat. You made it through a tough day and that's something to be very, very proud of!

My hamstring is still giving me fits, but I've been walking and riding a little. I also started going to some group fitness classes for something different. I have to say that in spite of my un-cute-outfit-ness, lack of a long flowing ponytail, and complete, absolute lack of rhythm, it's pretty fun. We leave on a long vacation this coming week, and I am hoping that by the time we get back that I will be able to run a little bit. I'll probably do the classes for a while; I think they are good for my overall mobility.

I made a little movie from TransRockies is anyone is interested. My favorite segment is the "Team Sparkle" segment. I swear to you, this was not scripted.

TRR movie

yeah... I only made it 2:15 and then I stopped. It was 92 degrees by 9:30am with 60% humidity. I was toast. I'm dropping down from the 50K next weekend to the 25K. I just can't run in this heat.
    Please come quickly, Fall, before I give up running altogether...

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Another heat and humidity shortened long run here. Thanks to the remnants of Isaac, it was plain nasty even at dawn. I was planning on going 9 miles, but only made it to 6. And I was 3 lbs lighter when I finished than when I started. No wonder I felt so bad...

Well I think 6 in awful heat/humidity is pretty darn good! I hear ya, tho. I was also down 3 lbs. And that's with drinking a full bladder.
    It has to start cooling off soon, right skhill??? RIGHT???

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

I am taking comfort in the fact that I am not the only one suffering through the heat and humidity. I did 9 yesterday at a very slow pace. The humidity was awful. I too was down about 3 pounds when I got home. The fall weather cannot come quickly enough. This really does a number on my head.