Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Question spin class conversion to mph?

if you were logging miles for your spin class, how many miles would you estimate for a one hour advanced spin class?

It's hard to figure what all that high cadence (100-120) plus intermediate cadence (75-90) adds up to. what's the conversion of cadence to mph?
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

Personally, I count indoor rides as time not mileage. I'm not going anywhere after all. That's why when you look at my bike journal, you don't see the many hours I've put in with Coach Troy lately.

However, if I were to count it, I'd go with whatever pace I know I could sustain for an hour on the flat.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I'm with V. on this one. I only count mileage on my bike on the road. And I log any indoor training in hours.

Based on other discussions, there do seem to be quite a few folks here who count their "miles" on their indoor trainer though, and I think Veronica's idea for estimating miles is a good one.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 01-11-2006 at 04:29 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

I do log my spin class as mileage. I figure for a tough class with lots of speed work, equates to about 20 miles. Keep in mind there are no stop lights or signs or other road hazards so 20 miles is probably conservative. If there is lots of "hill climbing" then I lower the mileage to around 15 miles. In addition, if I continue to ride after class, which I often do, I lower the mileage 'cause I'm not working as hard. For 2 hours, I usually give myself 35 miles. I figure I can easily do 35 miles in two hours on the road when there are no lights or signs.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I think Veronica's idea for estimating miles for a spin class is sound. I record both hours and estimated distances for spin classes reckon that an hour in a fairly intense spin class for me is about 20-24 miles.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

If you really wanted to calculate this, CindySue... you would also have to take into account the gearing you were in... plus cadence... I think it would become quite problematic.

It is probably best to record it as minutes/hours ridden at 'x' resistence...

Otherwise, if they don't have some kind of speedo on the bikes in your class, can you just take your speedo along and attach the magnet to your spin bike for the session?

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

On a recovery ride, I average about 22-24km/hour (thats 13-14 mph)

On a training ride I average about 30-31km/hour (thats just under 19 mph)

During a TT I average about 32-34 km/hour (20-21mph)

While my recovery rides and training rides will not increase by much, I expect to increase my race speed in a TT by 4km over the next 12-18 months (rembering that the higher the speed, the more power output required for each extra kilometre or mile).

When I am on my trainer, I try and emulate the resistance and gears to reflect whichever ride I am "imitating".

We are currently looking at getting a "proper" spin bike for at home, rather than the road bike on a trainer we currently have. If we do that, I would also like to pop a power output metre on it to more accurately read my effort and progress.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".