Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I usually get to class at least 1/2 hour ahead of time to start my warmup. My favorite instructor expects this as he jumps right into the routine when the class starts. No warmup in his class. It's sortof an advance class and newbies beware!

And I do make judgments about mileage. Last night we did alot of climbing drills so I have to judge that my mileage was probably more in the 8 - 10 mph range v. 20. ie more like mountain biking than road riding.

The classes I attend are all run by cyclists so we don't do alot of those fancy spin class drills. Personally I wouldn't do them anyway. If I am in a class that's doing alot of drills, I just sit myself down and do a sustained, fast paced spin, trying to stay in a fat-burning or fitness zone on my HRM.

Again there is no set rule to counting mileage. Everyone has to make this judgment themselves. Experienced road/mtb riders know just how far they have gone.

PS: What do you mean off the bike - do you literally mean off or standing up on the bike? My classes are generally 60 minutes of riding. Warm up is before and cool down is after. No time off the bike but there can be alot of standing (like last night; of the 60 minutes we rode, we stood 45 - it was a tough class).
    Last edited by bcipam; 01-19-2006 at 10:02 AM.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    No warmup in his class. It's sortof an advance class and newbies beware!
    Sorry, I don't think this has anything to do with newbies. I think you mean "uninformed" beware. Everyone needs a warm-up. Even Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    No warmup in his class. It's sortof an advance class and newbies beware!. . .PS: What do you mean off the bike - do you literally mean off or standing up on the bike? My classes are generally 60 minutes of riding. Warm up is before and cool down is after. No time off the bike but there can be alot of standing (like last night; of the 60 minutes we rode, we stood 45 - it was a tough class).
    Spinervals does some work literally off the bike. Lunges, etc. They are designed to be used on trainers not spin bikes, so you don't get into anything on the bike that a cyclist wouldn't do, but you may get off the bike to cross train. Helps break the monotony and cross train for tri's. ETC always gives you on the bike options if you don't want to get off the bike. Try a few. They are tough also.

The DVD I did this morning has sections where you get off the bike and use a fit ball to do crunches, back extensions, etc. In addition to various drills to improve pedaling efficiency - that's what one legged drills and high cadence spins are about.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I agree a warmup is definitely necessary which is why I usually get to class 1/2 hour ahead of time (earlier if possible) and start spinning. Basically the way my class is run it's 1 1/2 hours if you include a warmup, the class and proper cool down after. We are all on our own for the warmup and cooldown. If I see a newbie come in, I explain that the class, once the instructor gets there will be off and running so start spinning now. I generally ride another 45 minutes (thanks to my trust iPod) after class at a lower intensity.

I like the concept of the Spinerval Traning and doing crunches etc during the workut. If i think about it, I do crunches after I'm done spinning my sometimes get lazy.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Ommmm. I am one with my body.

Finally got the Polar set up on my Mercian which is on the trainer. OK, really I finally got on the trainer for the first time this month and it happened to be the first time I had a speed sensor that would work on the back wheel. Anyway, I rode ETC's Uphill Grind but upped the resistance higher than I ever had. Then, because the Mercian has new cables Bubba kept having to come over to make adjustments while I softpedaled. So, I knew it was going to be somewhat slow but I really had no idea how accurate my past questimates had been. I had previsuly been guessing completely on how my body felt.

Low Resistance but no wrenching sessions - estimated avg spd at 17.3 mph
    High Resistance with a couple of extended derailleur adjustments - measured at 16.8.

Just an observation and pleased that I have a pretty accurate gaugometer of my passout levels.