Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: 9/8 ride

9/8 ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, I'll try again. This is an almost 50 mile ride that is very hilly, but will be done at a moderate pace. In fact, we have 4 leaders, so we can break into 2 groups, if needed. I've done this ride many times, and we've tweaked it in the last year. If you can average 12-13 mph on very hilly terrain, you're good.
    PM me if interested, I have to screen participants.

Hollis, NH Ride
    September 8
    Rating: Intermediate/Advanced
    Open
    50 mi moderately paced hilly ride starting in Boxborough, through Littleton, Harvard, Ayer, and Groton, with lunch stop at Kimball Fruit Farm in Pepperell. We'll proceed through Hollis and Nashua, NH, returning by way of Dunstable and Tyngsboro, through Lost Lake in Groton, before heading back to Boxborough. Expect beautiful scenery, with some steep climbs . Bring your lunch, bike in good working order, helmets req. Rain cancels
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We previewed the ride for a final time today, as the cue sheet needs tweaking.
    It's really beautiful, albeit challenging. There's about 1900 feet of climbing, most of it in the second half.
    Kimball Fruit Farm had all kinds of special heirloom tomatoes cut up for tasting and their fruit looks great. Bring a pannier or big bag if you come on this ride!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Fooey! Working again.

You will get a great view of the Monadnocks from Kimball Fruit Farm.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Yup, we've done this ride quite a few times, but have changed it a bit over the years.
    I love that view. It makes me feel like i'm in Vermont.
    Except for the time I looked out there and saw very dark storm clouds. It was May, the temperature plunged and we spent about 1.5 hrs. under the overhang of the Dunstable Library on the way back, in a huge thunderstorm. Finally, DH and friend's DH called a taxi to take them back to the car, so they could come and collect us and the bikes. My friend very nearly had hypothermia, as she didn't have a rain jacket. Every time we get tired on a ride, the usual refrain is "Call Ayer Taxi!"
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Only one person signed up for this ride, so we cancelled.
    Not sure what's wrong with AMC members. The weather looks iffy, so we will do a ride closer to home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hi Crankin,
    I think the challenge is that in the Central MA area you are competing with the other bike clubs (CRW/NVP, SHW etc) which tend to be all show and go. This was the same day at the NVP Fall Century which went through some of the same area. We have found in the WR Chapter that we tend to get good turn-outs for our weekday rides and easier weekend rides but there is so much competition for the weekend rides.

We've never had an issue getting riders for weekend rides. I don't lead that many rides a year, just the Boston chapter new member ride, and usually one of the rides at the bike rally. Then, we may do 1 or 2 more. I don't like leading large groups, so even 5 would have been good. I didn't know it was the NVP century, and yes, it did go by part of our ride. My son did that ride many years ago. Anyway, we ended up doing 40 miles just around Sudbury, Bolton, Hudson, Stow and back home, so it's not in vain.
    We're coleading a ride on the south coast in October, so that will be it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura