Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Clip-in pedals and Cycling shoe suggestions

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All,

I have recently really gotten interested in cycling and I am loving it! Additioanlly, I am training for my first tri!

I really want to upgrade my cage pedals to clip-in ones, but I have no idea where to start. Are some better than others for beginners? I am not going to lie--I am totally nervous about busting my butt in these things. Any suggestions on clips, pedals, or shoes would totally help.

Oh yeah, well as a librarian...budget is always a consideration....

Shoes: buy ones that fit and are drilled for your pedal of choice. Perhaps if you can give us your foot characteristics (wide/narrow, narrow heel, etc) we can give specific suggestions. My suggestion right now is to go try on a bunch. They should fit more snugly than sneakers, but they shouldn't be tight.

I've been using Shimano M540 pedals for two years. Decent pedal for the price, and I found them easy to use once I got past the fear. Speedplays are also supposed to be easy to get in and out of.

Depending on your needs (I see you're getting into tris), you might consider a true road pedal off the bat. DBF loves his Look Keos, and Speedplay does make several road pedals.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I generally have a pretty average foot--normal width, a slightly narrow heel.

Thanks for your suggestions! I am considering the Speedplay Light Actions or the Look Keo Easy pedals...suggestions? I really like the idea of the speedplay dual-sided entry.

I was considering both pedals when I first got my bike and decided on the Looks. I didn't go with Speedplay because reviews were mentioning that the Speedplays required more maintenance. Since it was my first time with clipless I decided to go with the Looks for ease. So far I've been pretty happy with them.

I started on Shimanos but couldn't get comfortable with them so I switched to Speedplays. Since I was still quite new to riding they really elevated my comfort level and I felt much less fearful.....especially because of their dual-sided entry. I love Speedplays and wouldn't use anything else. As far as maintenance, I lubricate them every few thousand miles and that's it.

No matter what you get- taking the time to practice clipping and unclipping on grass and then in a parking lot (no traffic) is very worth your time. The local Luna chix mt bike team advised me to start with Shimano SPDs and I love them- easy in and out both directions- have on my road and mt so I only bought one pair of shoes (: Once you get used to it you will be so glad you switched!