Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't posted about this on Facebook because I cannot stand to get into the political, religious and racial issues on this shooting. It doesn't mean that I don't care, I DO, but I also cannot handle knowing which of the wackos on my feed thinks this is ok (political season is when I hide and unfriend with abandon but still it is shocking). I don't think that this is a good barometer of who cares about the event.

I'm not a heavy Facebook user, so I can't speak to that; my media consumption is mostly radio and internet and I've heard and read quite a bit about who Sikhs are, what they believe, how to pronounce the name of their faith, local security, and some touching victim stories that sound quite similar to what I heard after Colorado.

*exercising restraint re. a few other issues that have been raised on this thread*
    Think of this as 'biting my tongue!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I don't post political stuff on FB and I also tried to restrain
    myself above. I am sure my views are clear, but I don't even like to talk about them here. This is timely because I have a young friend from grad school who posts lots old political blog stuff on FB. I agree with it 99% of the time, but recently, he had some stuff that was offensive to me as a military mom. I am not conservative at ALL, but don't use offensive terms for military people as a generalization.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I don't mind if others wish to share their views.
    It's just best if I can keep my own big mouth shut, because I am rather opinionated, and I have been known to get the teensiest bit carried away, particularly in the use of 'colorful metaphors.'
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I don't mind if others wish to share their views.
    It's just best if I can keep my own big mouth shut, because I am rather opinionated, and I have been known to get the teensiest bit carried away, particularly in the use of 'colorful metaphors.'

Me too, and I try to keep my facebook post on topics important to me, but not something as Grave as the subject we're talking about usually. There just isn't really an ability in my tiny little mind, to understand how any person can end the lives of several people just out of hate.

Not all who wander are lost

I very rarely post anything such as this on FB. I try to keep my FB very non-political/non-religious. Usually about biking, my animals, wine, etc.... My friends who don't tend to annoy me, even the ones I agree with their views. So when CO happened it wasn't in my FB status updates and I knew about this one, was disgusted and horrified but didn't start commenting on FB. I have some VERY opinionated friends on there that I don't want to get started.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Don't do facebook nor twitter. I already have far too much computer time per day to be healthy.

The bias, the mayham at Sikh temple, the burning of mosque in Joplin, bombing of Oklahoma federal building are all acts of hate/anger and whatever other adjectives you may want to add.

The coverage is not going to be the same nor should one expect it to be given equal time. We are all biased in one form or another. And the bias is showing through in form of unequal air time.

Why is it that media and collective psyche gave so much time to Natallee Holloway case while no words are ever written of a child dying of hunger in inner cities of America? Both very tragic.

So is the death in Colorado shooting. so is the shooting at Sikh temple... All are very tragic.

I do understand your frustration and anger over the glaring inequity of life. And I think it is important to point out the inequities of life so we all can stare straight into our selves of the bias we hold.

Maybe this will allow us to have deeper understanding of ourselves.

getting off my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    Don't do facebook nor twitter. I already have far too much computer time per day to be healthy.

The bias, the mayham at Sikh temple, the burning of mosque in Joplin, bombing of Oklahoma federal building are all acts of hate/anger and whatever other adjectives you may want to add.

The coverage is not going to be the same nor should one expect it to be given equal time. We are all biased in one form or another. And the bias is showing through in form of unequal air time.

Why is it that media and collective psyche gave so much time to Natallee Holloway case while no words are ever written of a child dying of hunger in inner cities of America? Both very tragic.

So is the death in Colorado shooting. so is the shooting at Sikh temple... All are very tragic.

I do understand your frustration and anger over the glaring inequity of life. And I think it is important to point out the inequities of life so we all can stare straight into our selves of the bias we hold.

Maybe this will allow us to have deeper understanding of ourselves.

getting off my soapbox.
    I think you have touched exactly on the issue. What surprises me most is the people who will deny that there is bias. When I brought this up elsewhere someone actually tried to suggest that *I* have some sort of pro-Muslim bias... I'm not pro anyone or anti anyone. I'd just like to think that when our nation prides itself on being a great melting pot that our actions would actually follow our words.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    This is simply not true. There is plenty of news coverage of serious issues. The problem is that people don't read it.

Anyone who saw coverage about Natalee Holloway chose to do so.

When it comes to news, we are not passive victims. We are consumers who make choices.