Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Since nearly no one is talking about it...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Even though it's all over the major news networks. This tragedy has been pretty much swept under the rug in comparison to the level of grief and attention afforded to a similar and tragic event in CO just weeks ago.

Racism is so ugly. A group of peaceful Sikhs gunned-down in their place of worship deserve just as much attention in social media as do a group of movie-goers, IMO. If we (as a nation) ignore this event does it mean we agree with the white-supremacist shooter...?

Just hours after the CO shootings there were countless threads and graphics honoring the victims of that event. On FB I have counted 3 links to the story since the shootings took place. THREE.

Are there really that many bigots amongst my FB friends (I'd like to think this isn't the case)? I only found out about this even this evening when I was online for the first time all day after a wonderful day in the great outdoors and happened to be scanning a local news site to find information about an accident we happened upon.

As much as the story upsets me, the reaction (or lack thereof) makes me truly ill.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Even though it's all over the major news networks. This tragedy has been pretty much swept under the rug in comparison to the level of grief and attention afforded to a similar and tragic event in CO just weeks ago.

Racism is so ugly. A group of peaceful Sikhs gunned-down in their place of worship deserve just as much attention in social media as do a group of movie-goers, IMO. If we (as a nation) ignore this event does it mean we agree with the white-supremacist shooter...?

Just hours after the CO shootings there were countless threads and graphics honoring the victims of that event. On FB I have counted 3 links to the story since the shootings took place. THREE.

Are there really that many bigots amongst my FB friends (I'd like to think this isn't the case)? I only found out about this even this evening when I was online for the first time all day after a wonderful day in the great outdoors and happened to be scanning a local news site to find information about an accident we happened upon.

As much as the story upsets me, the reaction (or lack thereof) makes me truly ill.
    I hate to say this and it isn't nearly on the same scale, but I think it's sort of comparable to the shooting in Norway last year. Yes, the media at large condemned the action, but not the motivation behind it, because a huge number of people implicitly agree with it. "We don't want nasty foreign brown people here!" is a sadly common sentiment, no matter where those "brown people" are from or what religion they may belong to.

Americans as a whole tend to lump all non-Latino "brown people" into one entity, and almost every article notes that Sikh men wear turbans and are "easily confused with Muslims." So I think there's a significant chunk of the population who agree with the apparent motivation, if not the action and the fact that the shooter managed to get the 'wrong' group of people. This opens another can of worms. I don't want to imagine what would happen had the target been a mosque rather than a Sikh temple.

The other reason I can think of for the outpouring of expression of shock and grief over the Aurora shootings is that for most people, that could have easily been them. In this case, if you're not a minority from certain ethnic backgrounds, you're safe.
    Last edited by Owlie; 08-05-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

People will always react most strongly to bad things happening to people they identify with, there's just no way around it. And there's no logic in emotional reaction either. It's been one year since the shootings in Norway now. In a way I think that if Breivik had managed to target the muslims he so viciously hates that might have generated more sympathy for them and actually forced white Norwegians to look at how they think and feel. As it is he shot down mostly white Norwegians, most of them kids and teenagers. People can pour out endless amounts of sympathy for the families and swear "it will never happen again" without having to think any uncomfortable thoughts about what lay behind it and how their own viewpoints may tie in with it.

This bugs me. For a year now Norway has been collectively holding hands and holding a very dignified and calm court case over the shooting (and patting our backs about it and being righteous), at the same time there's been a huge debate about maybe two or three hundred dirt poor gypsies who've been camping around in parks in Oslo and being a nuisance. The comments under news articles have been vitriolic, the amount of hatred spewed out is just scary. So much for holding hands and being calm and just.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Most Australians and New Zealanders look at USA and it's gun culture and shake our heads. Shootings and murders by guns are RARE here and that's because we have tight gun control.

The 2nd ammendment has a lot to answer for, especially since the latest shooting was with a hand gun. What next? Metal detectors at movie theatres and religious places? There is no need for people to walk around carrying a gun all the time. Get with the times USA!

Um, we don't need to turn this thread into national chauvinism, either... (and I would point out that the US overall homicide rate is not so different from that of Australia's Northern Territory...)

I don't know, zoom-zoom. Are you referring to your FB friends or to the news sources you subscribe to? We were home and watching on TV as the cops secured the scene but it was a Sunday afternoon, and if it took you that long to hear about it, then it was probably the same for most people you know. I just looked at my FB page and it's true, there are only a couple of reactions to the shooting, but there are also probably no more than 15 postings of any kind since that happened, most of them sports and gardening sites that tend to be among the last to respond to tragedies outside their own communities. Personally, I just don't usually post a tribute over that sort of thing, myself, no matter the scale or the details.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I don't know, zoom-zoom. Are you referring to your FB friends or to the news sources you subscribe to? We were home and watching on TV as the cops secured the scene but it was a Sunday afternoon, and if it took you that long to hear about it, then it was probably the same for most people you know. I just looked at my FB page and it's true, there are only a couple of reactions to the shooting, but there are also probably no more than 15 postings of any kind since that happened, most of them sports and gardening sites that tend to be among the last to respond to tragedies outside their own communities. Personally, I just don't usually post a tribute over that sort of thing, myself, no matter the scale or the details.
    528 friends and after scrolling through the day's posts I found 3 links to news articles. When CO happened my wall blew up with people posting about the horror.

I was nowhere near any media until about 7:30pm, as we did a long-century ride yesterday (with several loops, breaks, people with mechanicals, guy cramping, hills, wind). People were definitely on FB and posting the usual nonsense, but the shootings in WI were essentially ignored. Even the 3 links posted only had a comment or two given.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    The right to bear arms goes back to the English militia in the UK, and the mentality of the American Revolution that followed. In the US, we have the right to bear arms, supposedly, to keep our government in check. Among other reasons.

Not that you can see any of this in the Patriot Act.
    The people that keep harking to the 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms should keep in mind that we don't live in Revolutionary times. Keeping our government in check? Like that is going to happen in our lifetime.

I am ashamed at the lack of gun control in our country. While we are at it, I"m also ashamed at the lack of health care too.

I've traveled the world and yes we have a higher standard of living than most but our idea of "control" is so misguided. Our government controls things we don't NEED them to control and doesn't control things that do need to be controlled.

Just having a higher standard of living doesn't make the US the BEST country in the world. We have to start thinking globally and look at standards across the world in our first world countries.

P.S. Hate is never going to end, anywhere. It is an awful awful situation but I don't know how you can control these hate or terrorist incidents. It is a shame. You know what else is a shame? The news reporter today saying "Sikhism originated in Italy" on a US news network.

PS. I don't want to get involved in a huge debate but just thought I would put my .02 in. Ride on, friends!
    Last edited by lovelygamer; 08-06-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelygamer View Post
    I am ashamed at the lack of gun control in our country. While we are at it, I"m also ashamed at the lack of health care too.

I've traveled the world and yes we have a higher standard of living than most but our idea of "control" is so misguided. Our government controls things we don't NEED them to control and doesn't control things that do need to be controlled.

Just having a higher standard of living doesn't make the US the BEST country in the world. We have to start thinking globally and look at standards across the world in our first world countries.
    Actually, I don't think our standard of living is high at all...not when compared to the UK or Scandinavia...countries with universal health care and much lower infant/maternal mortality. We have a helluvalot of people "living" below the poverty line, too. FAR more than a company with our resources should.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Did not even know this happened! But I haven't had the news/tv/radio or been on the net much at all. When I have been online I've been looking for updates on Jakson Kreiser--missing in Glacier Nat'l Park. We have a connection to his family.

I feel like there are so many tragic and scary things going on right now. Zoom-Zoom, even locally the stories we've had about the Good Samaritans being attacked.

Did not mean to get off topic. What is going on in this world? I'm heartbroken for the lost lives and the families/friends left behind in this horrible tragedy in Wisconsin.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Even though it's all over the major news networks[/URL]. This tragedy has been pretty much swept under the rug in comparison to the level of grief and attention afforded to a similar and tragic event in CO just weeks ago..
    Swept under the rug? It only happened yesterday.

ETA: I didn't realize you were talking about Facebook. In real life, among my friends, this will get more attention than something like the Colorado shooting, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by PamNY; 08-06-2012 at 05:08 AM.

I didn't even know about that one. I don't read our local paper but it wouldn't have that in there because it's a crappy paper. I think racial violence is so dangerous because it happens more often than a random senseless mentally Ill motivated shooting. It's more dangerous because it's more likely to happen because there are so many intolerances still. Yet people have almost as a whole population, become desensitized to it, where a random shooting from a mentally deranged person gets so much more attention because people are desensitized to racial violence to some extent. It should be every bit as shocking and appalling but the media wants to play up the scenes that will get them the most viewers.

Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    I didn't even know about that one. I don't read our local paper but it wouldn't have that in there because it's a crappy paper. I think racial violence is so dangerous because it happens more often than a random senseless mentally Ill motivated shooting. It's more dangerous because it's more likely to happen because there are so many intolerances still. Yet people have almost as a whole population, become desensitized to it, where a random shooting from a mentally deranged person gets so much more attention because people are desensitized to racial violence to some extent. It should be every bit as shocking and appalling but the media wants to play up the scenes that will get them the most viewers.
    In this case the media is giving it ample attention, but I am still seeing almost no mention of it among the general public. That greatly saddens and frightens me. CO was horrific, but this strikes me as so much more grave, for the reason you give. These people were targeted for who they were, not where they were.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I'm confused as to your conclusion that the "general public" isn't talking about the shooting. What metric are you using for that? Your own Facebook feed? I don't know how much I would assume from just Facebook.

The news outlets I follow have coverage of the shooting and there are a thousand plus comments to each of those stories. Is the news coverage as rabidly sensationalistic about this shooting as it was about the CO shooting? Maybe not, but that might not be a bad thing. For better or for worse, the CO shooting provoked a media and water cooler-discussion frenzy, but that hardly means that the coverage and discussions were all intelligent or worthy. I'm more interested in the quality of the coverage and ensuing dialogue, not quantity.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Actually, I don't think our standard of living is high at all...not when compared to the UK or Scandinavia...countries with universal health care and much lower infant/maternal mortality. We have a helluvalot of people "living" below the poverty line, too. FAR more than a company with our resources should.
    I agree with you. We like to advertise our standard of living is higher than it really is.

I don't think not talking about it means that people don't care. And quite a lot of people choose to keep their FB posts off politics or other things that in their personal lives they take very seriously.
    Last edited by salsabike; 08-06-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks