Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2 years and 3 weeks later...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Today I joined a descending clinic at the park where I broke my back. It was sort of an accident - I signed up knowing that I need help descending, but didn't pay any attention to where the clinic would be. Last night I looked up directions and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the destination. I haven't even gone there to trail run since the wreck.

Fortunately, the trails aren't that difficult, and we didn't ride the EXACT one I got hurt on...but I definitely have had my fill of riding water bars for the time being.

My favorite part was sitting at the top of one section where we were practicing downhill switchbacks. While waiting our turn, another rider turns to me and details the story of a previous ride he'd done at the park, when an ambulance had to drive up the trail to pick up an injured girl. I listened attentively and then got a huge kick out of telling him who I was.

Unfortunately he then told me that two of the other people on that ride had been med students who had refused to step up and help. I understand there can be some liability issues for helping, but THEY LET ME TRY TO WALK. Certainly any med student with a conscience should speak up to try to stop someone from paralyzing themselves, even if they don't admit to their medical training? I am pretty furious hearing that now.

Anyway, it's been an interesting day. I don't think I'll go out of my way to go back to that park, but I'm glad that I could handle it today. Also not sure I got that much out of the clinic because I know most of what I need to do, I'm just still at the stage where I'm happy to ride my brakes and ease through the descents (on the plus side, this is seriously improving my balance).

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

It is really good to hear that you are sort of "back". I am also back on the trails after breaking my ankle two years ago "out there".

But I'm still slow.

And I'm still kind of screechy.

So, working on things, from square one.

You are an inspiration!
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    It is really good to hear that you are sort of "back". I am also back on the trails after breaking my ankle two years ago "out there".

But I'm still slow.

And I'm still kind of screechy.

So, working on things, from square one.

You are an inspiration!
    What she said, and I am all of the above as well!

You are indeed an inspiration! The other day when I was preparing to mountain bike solo I got a bit nervous about riding by myself. ("what if I fall and twist my neck again..."), and the endo from a few weeks prior didn't help.

I made myself think of you and all you have gone through to get back on the trails - and your injury was far worse than mine. So I drew in a deep breath and took off Besides, I apparently only hurt myself when I am riding with other people....

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Besides, I apparently only hurt myself when I am riding with other people....
    That's me too. I think being with other people pushes me, sometimes farther than I'm ready to go. I was very careful to keep to my limits yesterday. One woman kept second guessing me - "are you sure you don't want to try it? Go on, give it a go," and I had to tell myself not to give in. It's not worth it.

I still love riding alone, but I keep a whistle with me and try not to get too remote now! Though around Denver, even the "remote" trails will always have someone else on them.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Great job, Jess! You went out there, stuck to your guns, and only did what you were comfortable with.

How infuriating that two med students would let you try to walk when it was obvious that you shouldn't be. Hell- I'm not in med school and I would have told you to sit still (liability or not). Wow.

Glad you got back out there and at least rode at the place where you were injured and kinda got that monkey off your back (if he was ever there to begin with).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post

Unfortunately he then told me that two of the other people on that ride had been med students who had refused to step up and help. I understand there can be some liability issues for helping, but THEY LET ME TRY TO WALK. Certainly any med student with a conscience should speak up to try to stop someone from paralyzing themselves, even if they don't admit to their medical training? I am pretty furious hearing that now.
    Two thoughts. 1. being a med student really doesn't mean squat when it comes to knowing first aid or first responder stuff. Most full MDs don't know it. So, they may not have known what the right thing to do was. Many people would not know how to or when to stabilize a back/neck injury without the correct training.
    2. They may not be aware that most states have good samaritan laws that exempt and protect people with good intentions from liability and negligence.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM