Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Signed up for my first 4K swim (that wasn't in an iron-distance event)

To disable ads, please log-in.

So this isn't really a triathlon related post (well, it kind of is), but I'm very excited about this swim event on August 19th. It's a 4K OWS. I've always loved swimming this distance (and longer sometimes), but have always done it before a 112 mile bike and a marathon. I've never done it solo, so I'm kinda looking forward to just going all-out in a swim race at this distance.

I plan on trying to convince the RD to extend it to a 6K or longer for next year. I LOVE the challenge of a long swim. It's two 2K loops, so adding in an extra one or two shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

It won't be wetsuit legal (both of my IM swims were), so that will be different, but I also don't have to worry about doing anything after the swim besides getting out and grabbing a snack on the lake beach. The water temp is expected to be in the high 70's/low 80's so it's going to be a hot one. Maybe I should try swimming laps in the jacuzzi for practice.

Have any of you done long solo OWS races?
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 08-03-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

That's exciting! I've always thought I'd prefer OWS swimming without a wetsuit but they do make you a bit faster, so if they're legal, I wear one.

Did you get a new suit for the race - so it's nice and tight?

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I looked at speed suits but they are like $200 or more. NO way!
    I went to the local outdoor store and found a new TYR fastback suit on sale for 30% off. I need a new one anyway- so at least I'll *look* shiny and new.
    Maybe I'll just glue the butt cheeks of the suit to my bum and then fill that area with air. Instant flotaion (although my butt surely has enough fat to keep it afloat on it's own).

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Funny I was thinking just a new regular suit, not a speedsuit. I bet speed suits never go sale either.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I know Kacie did one last year. I haven't - YET. Someone sent me a link to one... but it's next weekend and I'm traveling! It's 2.4 miles (coincidence? convenient). There's also a swim nearby that's more casual this weekend, but it's shorter and I am hoping to get in a long ride instead.

I would love to try JUST swimming. I'll be curious to hear how it feels!

I'm only the 2nd woman who has signed up. I'm sure there will be more closer to the event, but for now it's just me and one other. The RD messaged me and said he wanted to do a full 10K, but that there was no interest in that distance in Oklahoma. I told him I would TOTALLY do that distance if it were offered. I'm sure there are at least a few other endurance junkies who would join me.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)