Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Riding without a Chamois?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Excuse me ladies, but I'm just going to be frank with the issue I'm having...I've recently changed from a hybrid to a road bike. While riding the hybrid, I never wore shorts with a chamois. Now that I'm on the road bike, the length of my rides (time in saddle) are increasing. I bought my first pair of shorts with a chamois. I just can't seem to like riding with the chamois. It seems to add pressure to my clitoris, and after a 40 mile ride, I'm really hurting from being smashed and rubbed.

Do any of you ride without a chamois? Are there unforeseen issues/problems I will encounter without a chamois and long rides?

Thanks so much!

Different strokes for different folks.

Try riding a short-to-moderate distance (20-30 miles?) in unpadded shorts and see how you feel. If you feel good, try increasing the distance - and see if that works. We are each a grand experiment of one.

Typical entry-level shorts (probably PI?) tend to have a relatively thick, stiff chamois. You might want to look at slightly more expensive shorts, European brands, or even tri shorts. Personally, I'm a big fan of Castelli shorts - from the bottom of the line to the top, the chamois tends to be thin and flexible and exceptionally comfortable.

If you aren't using it, you might want to try some chamois butter as well.

I'm guessing your saddle has some cush to it. One woman I ride with prefers no chamois but a cushier saddle than I like. I prefer a harder saddle and shorts with decent chamois, and have even learned that I prefer shorts that don't have thick chamois. If I had a cushy saddle, I'm not sure I'd like bike shorts. I'd think it would be too much of a good thing and would squish my parts in a not good way. Find whatever works for you and enjoy.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

I totally need the chamois pad in my bike shorts on my road bike (my hybrid has the Serfas Rx seat along with a suspension post...so no padding was needed). My girly soft parts were also squished while wearing the chamois , but my new Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle has a HUGE cutout which has greatly relieved this issue.

There are lots of TE member threads about different saddles for different women.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

I'd take a look at your saddle. I'd also consider going with shorts with a thinner chamois.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I'd take a look at your saddle. I'd also consider going with shorts with a thinner chamois.
    Yeah, you're not just riding for longer periods, you're also sitting differently. A saddle that works on a hybrid could be painful on a road bike.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My biking shorts do not have a chamois or any other padding. I found that, given my riding position, the extra padding increased the pressure on my "girly bits". To avoid chaffing, I wear some very tight yet breathable underwear so that my shorts cannot rub on the "girly bits".

What works for one may not work for all - it depends on your riding position, the hardness of your saddle, and the sensitivity of your body.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

check your saddle fit. Maybe it's not set right for you. And different chamois. It's probably too late to take this one back.. you might try another pair of shorts though.
    like someone else said, cushy saddle=bad. Maybe you need a different one. THe pain (if any) should be on your sit bones, not your delicate front end.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I have also heard the creams help a lot with that. I'm trying a cream for the first time tomorrow so wish me luck with that.

Maybe part of it is the way you are sitting? If you have a good bike shop around you try going in there and talking to them about it. They may be able to put you on a trainer and watch you pedal. Then they can give you some advice.

+1 on saddle fit. Have you read the saddle fit threads here?

First thing to try is riding your road bike in the same shorts that you wear comfortably on the hybrid. There's no law that says you need to wear cycling shorts on a road bike. They're just more comfortable for most people. But if you have the same issues in the same shorts on both bikes, it's not the shorts - or at least not only the shorts.

That said, I'm in the camp of much preferring a thinner chamois (also a firmer saddle). Anything squishy, whether shorts or saddle, is going to move around and chafe.

Lastly, I think a lot of people buy their first pair of cycling shorts too large. Cycling shorts should fit like pantyhose - they shouldn't bind or constrict, but there should be no bagginess or poofiness anywhere.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks everyone. I bought a pair of Louis Garneau, Neo Power Shorts. I love the fit, but I'm just not used to the chamois. I currently ride 20 miles with no chamois, I will up it to 30 and see how I do.

Riding 40 WITH the chamois was torture. I started reading the saddle threads. I was hoping that I could just transfer the saddle from my hybrid, that I long searched to find, to my road bike. Guess that isn't to be. I dread starting a new saddle search.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesann View Post
    Thanks everyone. I bought a pair of Louis Garneau, Neo Power Shorts. I love the fit, but I'm just not used to the chamois. I currently ride 20 miles with no chamois, I will up it to 30 and see how I do.

Riding 40 WITH the chamois was torture. I started reading the saddle threads. I was hoping that I could just transfer the saddle from my hybrid, that I long searched to find, to my road bike. Guess that isn't to be. I dread starting a new saddle search.
    I do not wear chamois. They make me crazy.

My saddle is a Brooks B-67 (the one so many people recommend). This same saddle is on my hybrid, my mixte, my cyclocross, and my road bike.

My longest ride has only been 85 miles, but it was fine in shorts with no chamois and an unpadded Brooks leather saddle.

Don't be afraid to go against conventional wisdom.

And read Murienn's amazing and comprehensive saddle fit thread. Her information will change your life.
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    We're on cycling touring ride. 52 km. today, yesterday 50 km. Tomorrow 65 km. Day after 70 km. homeward.

I've done harder and longer cycling. Did not wear chamois. Other rides have included several days each of 100 kms. per day with loaded panniers.

So try a thinner chamois.

I also...use water based lubricant ...so that my tissues are fine, not raw from being in saddle for hours.

I actually have not used any chamois for the past 20 yrs. of regular cycling. And we vacation tour on our bikes. And I bike all over city, etc.

Do what your body feels most comfortable over the long haul. Yes, I do wear cycling shorts and tights without the chamois. There are specific types of walking shorts I wear for cycling that I look for in construction, location of seams, etc.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 08-04-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesann View Post

You'll find the right combo of shorts and saddle. It just might take some time and money. I prefer a thinner chamois and have cycling shorts with thicker chamois still in my drawer that were always the last resort... I only wore them if all the others were dirty. My favorite shorts have nothing more than a layer of suede/ultra-suede (they are from the late 90's from when I used to ride before) and no actual "padding". It took me a long time to find the right combo, too. Only you know what works best for you, which may be unconventional. Good luck!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony