Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

From Fat to...Less Fat

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,

A few years ago, I lost a whopping amount of weight - 150 pounds. Since then, I tore my medial meniscus, had knee surgery, discovered I had osteoarthritis (my surgeon says I have the knees of a 55 year old woman), and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I've gained back a lot of the weight I lost, but managed to keep off 60 of what I lost by sheer cussedness.

My doctors all want me to try to take off at least 10% of my present weight, and I'm game to give it another go, but all of the exercises I used to enjoy - running, boot camps, high impact plyometrics, even some forms of weight training - are off the table. They're recommending I start swimming, but I'm terrified of water.

Can any of you recommend a good training regimen that I can start out with that isn't super tough, but that will challenge me and help me shed some weight? I don't need to do it quickly, just consistently. And it needs to be fun. Thanks in advance!

Just ride! Really, it's fun, and as long as you watch your calories, the exercise will start turning up the metabolism.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    What about BodyRock?
    It can be very high impact, or it can be no impact- but it will kick your butt. She always shows modifications for all levels. The workouts are intense, but only last 12 minutes a day. Doable by anyone's standards. I get my arse kicked every time I do it (although I wish I could motivate myself to do it every day).

Is your fear of the water something that you think you could gradually get past? If you hired a swim coach and got a little instruction, could you possibly consider getting in the water?? When I've been injured and couldn't run, I would water run for an hour in the pool (boring as heck, but it mimicks running and is a good workout). Or you could use a kickboard and kick (fabulous leg workout). Both of those wouldn't involve putting your head underwater and would give you control. Just a thought.

And riding, of course! There's always riding.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

As a 56 year old with a challenge knee I can relate. Walking isn't a bad alternative, doing some hiking with trekking poles. I agree on the water, I love deep water exercise. You do wear a flotation device so wonder if that would help with your fear. Really helped me after a bad couple years with achille's issues and a broken foot. I am trying a boot camp for the first time ever - so far so good, I major modify and the trainer has been great about giving me alternatives to what the rest of the group is doing. Keep up the good work. Being healthy and feeling good means way more to me than what ever the scale might announce
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    What about BodyRock?
    Is your fear of the water something that you think you could gradually get past? If you hired a swim coach and got a little instruction, could you possibly consider getting in the water?? When I've been injured and couldn't run, I would water run for an hour in the pool (boring as heck, but it mimicks running and is a good workout). Or you could use a kickboard and kick (fabulous leg workout). Both of those wouldn't involve putting your head underwater and would give you control. Just a thought.
    I can do aquafit/hydrobics, but actual swimming is outside my comfort level. I took swimming lessons a few years ago, and I'm a sinker, not a floater. It makes swimming even harder, and I nearly drowned (or so I thought) when I panicked in the pool.

I've never heard of BodyRock - thanks for the suggestion!

I didn't see the OP mention any restrictions on cycling, so that sounds like a perfect option to me.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

in addition to the exercise, modify your food intake by cutting out the fat intake and limiting the caloric intake, Lots of fresh fruit, veggies, water, green tea, fish, lean poultry, a whole foods approach. Cook oil free, avoid pre processed foods, etc. you probably know the drill. After the initial weight loss itsall about not slipping back into bad habits and maintaining maintaining maintaining. Unfortunately, the older you get the more exercise and work it takes to stay in the same place- seems unfair somehow says she who is struggling to maintain her 125 pound weight loss with diet, biking, body weight and free weights, swimming and whatever else I can think of that won't wrack out my ruined ( without cartilege and missing AC ligament knees)
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I agree with the others. I have a hip replacement. I too lost about 100 lbs five years ago and have gained 30 back. I'm working on it but it's a slow process because I have a hip replacement. I can't do any high impact work. I cycle, do yoga or Pilates. Walking will help, if you do enough of it. I don't, because walking long distance hurts my hip. Strength training is a good idea too even if you just use free weights at home (I have 5 lbs). Unfortunately, I don't control my diet enough to lose weight. Usually, I just maintain but sometimes that is enough for me. Good luck with what you do.
    Last edited by lovelygamer; 08-06-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    I didn't see the OP mention any restrictions on cycling, so that sounds like a perfect option to me.
    Nope, no restrictions there!

I tried fast road cycling for a bit but realized it wasn't for me. I want to put in miles/KMs, but I'd prefer not to do it on a sleek racing frame.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelygamer View Post
    I agree with the others. I have a hip replacement. I too lost about 100 lbs five years ago and have gained 30 back. I'm working on it but it's a slow process because I have a hip replacement. I can't do any high impact work. I cycle, do yoga or Pilates. Walking will help, if you do enough of it. I don't, because walking long distance hurts my hip. Strength training is a good idea too even if you just use free weights at home (I have 5 lbs). Unfortunately, I don't control my diet enough to lose weight. Usually, I just maintain but sometimes that is enough for me. Good luck with what you do.
    Congrats on the weight loss!

Walking is a bit painful for me, too. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee and because of it, my right leg is a bit shorter than my left. Walking for long distances results in serious hip pain after awhile, so I can't do the kind of walking that would be truly beneficial. I love throwing weights around and am looking into kettlebells - have you tried those?

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Pilates?
    I've thought about it, but haven't seriously investigated it, mostly because of the expense.

Smile

If you are afraid of swimming, one good idea is to get a wetsuit - one made for triathletes. This will give you a feeling of safety as it keeps you afloat, it will also keep your legs high in the water which gives you a good position. And it keeps you warm! (Not such a good idea in really warm water but then you can use a shorter suit.) Wear good fitting goggles!

Other than that I too think cycling is the ultimate for weight loss without too much strain on your body. Long steady rides. Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skeskali View Post
    Congrats on the weight loss!

Walking is a bit painful for me, too. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee and because of it, my right leg is a bit shorter than my left. Walking for long distances results in serious hip pain after awhile, so I can't do the kind of walking that would be truly beneficial. I love throwing weights around and am looking into kettlebells - have you tried those?
    I have that leg length discrepancy too. I feel you! Those kettle bells intrigue me. I do want to try them. My other half and I thought we would buy a set together when we moved in this winter. Right now, I just don't have the room for storing a full set. Let me know if you try them. I hear they are pretty neat.

We have an adjustable kettle ball--I think my husband bought it at Dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by skeskali View Post
    Hi all,

A few years ago, I lost a whopping amount of weight - 150 pounds. Since then, I tore my medial meniscus, had knee surgery, discovered I had osteoarthritis (my surgeon says I have the knees of a 55 year old woman), and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I've gained back a lot of the weight I lost, but managed to keep off 60 of what I lost by sheer cussedness.

My doctors all want me to try to take off at least 10% of my present weight, and I'm game to give it another go, but all of the exercises I used to enjoy - running, boot camps, high impact plyometrics, even some forms of weight training - are off the table. They're recommending I start swimming, but I'm terrified of water.

Can any of you recommend a good training regimen that I can start out with that isn't super tough, but that will challenge me and help me shed some weight? I don't need to do it quickly, just consistently. And it needs to be fun. Thanks in advance!
    I have osteo and rheumatoid arthritis also and about two years ago turned to biking to give myself the exercise I needed without the impact that comes with other forms of exercise. I cycled since I was a kid but someplace in my mid to late 30s it went by the wayside with a busy life. I can't begin to explain how much happier, healthier and fitter I have become in the last two years. My flexibility and strength have increased and my weight has decreased. The best part of all of this is that it's fun!

The best training regime I can suggest is to just keep riding, it might be slow going at first but stamina and endurance come quickly. Try to ride daily even for a few minutes. A few blocks will turn into a couple of miles and before you know it those 2-3 mile rides will turn into 5-10. Once you ride longer you'll need a day or two off per week but for now just try to ride as much as you are able to.

I've had replacement surgery on my left knee and find walking difficult due to my right knee problems. That will all be fixed soon as I have scheduled surgery for my right knee in a few weeks. However I am able to bike even though I don't walk well. It can be done!
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011