Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yeah, I can hardly believe I'm thinking of cool weather myself. Maybe it's a defense mechanism against this horrid summer. Actually, I was going through all of my cycling stuff that I had put away years ago... I was kind of like a kid in a candy store with it all, getting it out and seeing how much I still had. A lot doesn't fit right now, but it didn't dampen my excitement of all this "new" stuff. Even the winter stuff was fun to go through, and it dawned on me that by the end of August, I'll probably need something more when I head out in the mornings.

Thank you to all for suggestions. I have actually written out a list of everything mentioned here in order to mull over it off-line and figure out how to best fill in my gaps. Many things mentioned here, I had not thought of ( or remembered), especially coverage for head and neck. I also need some full-finger gloves for just cool weather. I loved my knickers that I had to throw away, so I think I'll definitely get another pair.

I do remember that I did more mountain than road during the snowy winter. I have since sold my FS Cannondale mountain bike and am not really looking to get back into that (older bones break easier and heal more slowly ). So, I'm not really sure HOW cold I'm willing to go on the road. I'm a temperature wimp, I do know that!

ETA: Won't forget to write it all down, too. Great suggestion!
    Last edited by velo; 08-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    In terms of winter sports cold tolerance, one could initially gauge themselves against another sport they already undertake often -- like cross-country skiing, skating, snowshoeing or hiking for several hrs. in a day.

For sure, under very cold temp., like the temp. I mentioned earlier, I'm out under 1 hr. each time on the bike. That's enough for me when it is very cold in the winter.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I have a spreadsheet, too, but I neglected to include what to do when it was also raining. Those waterproof layers can make you overheat like wow.

Until you build your own guidelines, I like this for suggestions:
    http://www.bicycling.com/whattowear

Now all I need is to figure out why the outsides of my hips get so much colder than the rest of me. I need short windproof insulated chaps or something.

-- gnat! (seriously, tho, my life changed when I got into merino baselayers)
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Great post and feedback!!! Thank you.

Heading into my first ever winter riding season as well and starting to make my ebay purchases for winter gear. I am stuck on what to go with for my footsies. I wear a size 6 so those Sidi Diablos run too big for me .

i managed to find these, but no luck finding them in the US for sale. Might have to give a call into SIDI America headquarters.

http://www.veltec.com/en-us/product/...te-silver.aspx
    Felt F65
    Specialized Crux Expert Force (My baby)

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    Now all I need is to figure out why the outsides of my hips get so much colder than the rest of me. I need short windproof insulated chaps or something.
    I wear a pair of merino boxer shorts over my bike shorts for that, with winter tights on top.

I used to wear a pair of cheapo white granny style wool panties, to save wear on my nice wool boxer shorts, but my dh could hardly bear to look at me. Must be what a friend of mine calls "clothes that ensure you'll never need birth control ever again".

eta: you could make yourself some windproof chaps the same way I made rain shorts, cut off the legs of a pair of thin pants? They could be badly worn in the seat and knees and still help block the wind past your hips.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I used to wear a pair of cheapo white granny style wool panties, to save wear on my nice wool boxer shorts, but my dh could hardly bear to look at me. Must be what a friend of mine calls "clothes that ensure you'll never need birth control ever again".
    lol!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I wear long tights (with chamois), wool thermals (somethimes two -a short and a long sleeved), a long sleeved cycle jersey or soft shell jacket.

I find long fingered cycling gloves too thick so I have a thin pair of silk glove liners and put my summer cycling gloves over the top- perfect.

I have a potail earwarmer headband, a buff around my neck and wear wool socks or Seal Skin socks and have rubberised overbooties on my shoes.

This outfit will be OK down to 5 degrees C. Any colder and I won't ride.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazejane View Post
    i managed to find these, but no luck finding them in the US for sale. Might have to give a call into SIDI America headquarters.

http://www.veltec.com/en-us/product/...te-silver.aspx
    Those do not seem worth the time of day in the midwest winter. Out here, the people I know that cycle year round use these "SUV" boots. They only work with SPD pedals, so there would be an extra expense for different pedals if you don't have them at hand. I may spring for these boots later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    Those do not seem worth the time of day in the midwest winter. Out here, the people I know that cycle year round use these "SUV" boots. They only work with SPD pedals, so there would be an extra expense for different pedals if you don't have them at hand. I may spring for these boots later this year.
    The Lake boots look awesome, and I'm going to spring for them once my Shimano winter boots finally give up the ghost. Would be nice to not have to wear newspaper toe cosies and shoe covers when it's really cold...

But since you mentioned switching pedals - the cheapest and maybe warmest solution to cold feet is flat pedals and hiking boots. Assuming you have hiking boots, of course. I actually rode many winters in worn out, too big running shoes, with thick wool socks inside, on flat pedals. It's a pity to spring for expensive winter bike shoes if you end up not liking winter riding in general.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    The Lake boots look awesome, and I'm going to spring for them once my Shimano winter boots finally give up the ghost. Would be nice to not have to wear newspaper toe cosies and shoe covers when it's really cold...

But since you mentioned switching pedals - the cheapest and maybe warmest solution to cold feet is flat pedals and hiking boots. Assuming you have hiking boots, of course. I actually rode many winters in worn out, too big running shoes, with thick wool socks inside, on flat pedals. It's a pity to spring for expensive winter bike shoes if you end up not liking winter riding in general.
    I agree! I don't have hiking boots, though. But I do have SPD pedals in my closet. Last year we had a mild winter and I was able to bike in late December, and then in March. My toes were always a problem, though. I had wool socks and windproof booties over my shoes, but, still, my toes suffered.

One thing I discovered (based on comments in TE) is that covering my neck and ears with a balaclava really helped. In general, I find winter riding very hard. I feel many muscles are contracted because of the cold, so at the end of the ride, I am super tired.

My problem is my small feet. I take a 37 in mens EU Non of the manufacturers seem to want to even make mens boots that small.
    Felt F65

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazejane View Post
    My problem is my small feet. I take a 37 in mens EU Non of the manufacturers seem to want to even make mens boots that small.
    Shimano has a boot in size 38 -- a size bigger would be good for winter socks. Here is a review.

Shimano has a boot in size 38 -- a size bigger would be good for winter socks. Here is a review.
    THANK YOU!!!!!! I will check them out.
    Felt F65