Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hi from a timid yet curious newbie

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi!

I've been lurking here for a little while now(searching and reading through old posts), but thought I'd take the time to introduce myself. I'm Cecily, 43 (turning 44 in September), and I live in Vancouver, Canada. I'm also fat, but I view it as a fact, like my height and my skin colour.

Right now my daily ride is a Batavus Fryslan Dutch upright bike. I don't live far from work, and I like that the stature and slow speed of the bike keeps me visible on my short daily commute.

I've always loved riding bikes from the time I got my first big-girl bike at 8 years old until now. I've had 10 speeds, hybrids, fitness bikes, comfort bikes, and road bikes, but haven't really found anything I absolutely loved except for my Dutch bike. But a Dutch bike isn't really practical for long tours.

Last year, I made a deal with a co-worker to take a Rocky Mountain Solo AL 10 off her hands, but after a few 20km rides, I discovered that fast road bikes really aren't for me. I want to put in more miles, but I'm interested in a slower pace. I'm also interested in perhaps doing a fully supported tour in the near future.

I'm looking at purchasing a good do everything bike. The top contenders are a Salsa Casseroll and a Surly Cross Check. I'm still at the dreaming stage until I can sell the road bike.

Anyway, I wanted to say hi, and to thank all of you for the informative posts you've made over the years.

Hi Cecily, welcome to TE!

Electra Townie 7D

Hello and welcome!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Thanks, everyone!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Welcome!! Batavus bikes are dreamy!! Not really practical for long rides, but dreamy for sure!
    I'll bet either the Salsa or the Surly will be just right for what you want to do.
    Glad you came out of lurking mode to introduce yourself. May there be many happy miles ahead.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Cecily, my partner just bought and is now doing a short self-loaded touring ride on his brand new Salsa Casseroll --- actually today is first day on this bike...heading towards the Rocky Mountains. He bought it from Mighty Riders.

He is an experienced long distance touring rider (across Canada and U.S. several times over the years plus in different European countries). His previous bike was a Miyata. He also has cycle toured with his 4 panniers on his Dahon folding bike.

I have also bike toured on several trips on my 7 speed Dahon folding bike with 4 panniers. The model I have has 20" wheels. (Not the 16" wheels.) Have you at all considered a folding bike? I think you might love a folding bike for lightness, convenience and touring capacity also.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 08-01-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Welcome!

Welcome to TE!

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Cecily, my partner just bought and is now doing a short self-loaded touring ride on his brand new Salsa Casseroll --- actually today is first day on this bike...heading towards the Rocky Mountains. He bought it from Mighty Riders.
    OOOoooOOOh! I'm so jealous, I'm absolutely green over here! How does he like the bike so far? I dream of doing a light tour like this someday. I've also got my eye set on the Underground Railroad tour that WomanTours sponsors, although it's 38 days long, and I'm not given that kind of vacation time every year.

I have also bike toured on several trips on my 7 speed Dahon folding bike with 4 panniers. The model I have has 20" wheels. (Not the 16" wheels.) Have you at all considered a folding bike? I think you might love a folding bike for lightness, convenience and touring capacity also.
    I've never considered a touring bike because I exceed the recommended weight limit for the models I've looked at. I know that manufacturers really only include those because lawyers make them, but whenever I've asked bike store sales people about them, they take one look at me, shuffle their feet, and say, "Well, that might not be the best bike for you..." Bless their hearts.
    Last edited by skeskali; 08-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Welcome!! Batavus bikes are dreamy!! Not really practical for long rides, but dreamy for sure!
    She's an extension of me, absolutely. The part of me who doesn't want to admit she pictures herself doing a royal wave at passersby whenever she's in the saddle. ;-)

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by skeskali View Post
    She's an extension of me, absolutely. The part of me who doesn't want to admit she pictures herself doing a royal wave at passersby whenever she's in the saddle. ;-)
    I would TOTALLY do a royal wave at passerby on that bike!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

We love bikers of all ages/shapes. Besides, A LOT of TE members have lost weight from biking.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle