Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

commuting gift suggestions?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all

My brother and his partner are moving next week, off to grad school. I was going to get them a house-warming gift, but reconsidered as they are a pair of 40 yr olds moving into a smaller apartment short-term. But they are both planning on using their bikes as their primary vehicles. So something bike-related might be a useful gift. Decent lights are what come to mind-- any other suggestions? They both ride a fair bit now, and already have racks and panniers...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Great idea....but tough if they have some bike gear already for commuting. Lights, trunk bag or protective sleeve for their laptop, etc. If they live in a city that has transit which permits bikes on board at different times, in the card, slip in some transit tickets/cards....for the lousy days.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    What about an insulated mug for coffee/tea during the cold winter commuting months (provided they don't already have one). This site shows you mugs and where you can buy them for the bike.
    I got one last year and it was invaluable during the cold winter season for getting something warm inside me on my winter commutes. I just went to Target and found one that would fit inside a bottle cage (grabbed one from the bike section) and use that.

Or maybe just a goodie basket with tubes, patch kits, some easily removeable lights (like Knog), some reflective ankle bands, etc. Just a basket of bike goodies.
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 07-31-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Or maybe just a goodie basket with tubes, patch kits, some easily removeable lights (like Knog), some reflective ankle bands, etc. Just a basket of bike goodies.
    I did this once as a Christmas gift for someone who had just started commuting by bike. I also included some good wool socks for winter commuting.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

What about rain gear, depending on where they'll be living?

Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    Hi all

My brother and his partner are moving next week, off to grad school. I was going to get them a house-warming gift, but reconsidered as they are a pair of 40 yr olds moving into a smaller apartment short-term. But they are both planning on using their bikes as their primary vehicles. So something bike-related might be a useful gift. Decent lights are what come to mind-- any other suggestions? They both ride a fair bit now, and already have racks and panniers...
    Where are they storing their bikes? Would an indoor storage rack be nice for them? How about good locks? Fenders?

Lights are always a good idea! I also like the transit pass idea for icky weather/mechanical issues. How about flat tool kits? Do they have all of that stuff?

Road ID gift card.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

A new bike helmet from YAKKAY? I am so in love with these.

Water bottle filled with different powdered drink mixes? Extra tubes for their tires? iTunes gift card with a list of all the cycling apps they might like?
    commuter: a Giant Sedona '97
    road: Giant OCR c3 '08 | 105/Ultegra
    lusting a Sweet Pea A-line for when DH sweeps me out to sea

great ideas, everyone! Thanks...

Just realized what I should probably get them is a tool kit and basic repair manual, since they won't be able to borrow mine anymore!

Love that helmet...

Quote Originally Posted by ak2outside View Post

A new bike helmet from YAKKAY? I am so in love with these.

Water bottle filled with different powdered drink mixes? Extra tubes for their tires? iTunes gift card with a list of all the cycling apps they might like?
    I love those helmets too, I need to save up to get one, though...! Or win the lottery. Or have someone else gift me?!

2009 Trek FX 7.3
    2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact