Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Ch-ch-ch-changes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't been very active here this last year due to a ton of stuff going on, that's really kept my cycling time to a minimum. Biggest thing being that I had a baby this spring. I can't wait until he's ready to ride in a trailer. (Sorry no pictures, we're trying to keep his online presence to a minimum)

The other big thing is that we are on the move again, this time to the UK. That's right, DH found a job in London, so we are headed abroad for some new adventures. We will probably stay there until DS is ready for school.

And here's where I would love some feedback from the wise women of TE: which bike should I take with me, the Rodriguez or the Dahon? I told DH I would take only one, as we won't have the same kind of space we enjoy in Seattle. Not even sure how much I'll cycle, as I haven't been back on the bike since last fall and taking care of baby has me pretty busy.

Does anyone use a child trailer with a Dahon?

Should I leave all my bikes behind and buy something when I get there, that is more suited to riding in the city?
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Congratulations! Get a Brompton when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Congratulations! Get a Brompton when you get there.
    I was thinking maybe a Pashley ...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I, too, was thinking Pashley. Something Amsterdam-y and utilitarian.
    We sure are enablers, aren't we?

Congrats on the baby and on the big move. Sounds like the last year has been full of surprises and changes (but don't go away for so long again, OK?).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Congrats and enjoy your adventure. I wish I had done something like that when my kids were young.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Wow!! Wow and wow!!

Congratulations on many levels.

Well, I hate to say leave your Rodriguez behind (that is a sweet bike) but a foldable if you can pull a trailer with it, would be the way to go in London. That way you can take the Metro and bring your bike to use on the other end. I don't know what you'd do with the baby in that case tho.

We might be stopping in London next Spring on our way to or from Portugal. We'll have to keep in touch.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Congrats. on the new baby! A foldable bike stands a better chance of making it easier to use that bike more often.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

"Boris Bikes"- Barclays bike hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    "Boris Bikes"- Barclays bike hire.
    We are going to be living just outside of the bike hire zone, but hopefully they'll be expanding it soon!

Whatever bike I go with, if I'm going to ride at all I will need to get a trailer to bring the baby along once he's old enough.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    ooooo.... you need a bakfiet. You can always sell it before you leave (or bring it back to the states and rock it Euro style over here). I like these better anyway- you can actually look at and talk to your children on rides.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    ooooo.... you need a bakfiet. You can always sell it before you leave (or bring it back to the states and rock it Euro style over here). I like these better anyway- you can actually look at and talk to your children on rides.
    OMG. I want one for my dog.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    OMG. I want one for my dog.
    OMG, did you see the price tag on that?!! If I say it's for the dog, I just might be able to convince DH to spring for one.

I've seen one of these locally, they are striking!

Nice one
    Once you have a UK address you can order free bike maps from Transport for London and they will mail them to you:
    https://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11682.aspx

Local shops: Condor Cycles in Greys Inn Road is very good for spare parts. Their own-brand bikes have a good rep but I've never ridden one. They charge the earth for fakenger or fancy parts but you can get stuff like 2008 Campag Mirage hub pairs which are impossible to find. There is also a nice little park in Greys Inn proper that the public can use.

Brick Lane Bikes in Bethnal Green have a lot of 2ndhand bikes for sale. I only bought some rims from them so can't say how good they really are.

Chain stores: Evans is so-so, okay for ordinary parts. Cycle Surgery is similar. Both try and be more friendly to customers than old-style bike shops

Clubs: I think Dunwich and/or Greenwich Cyclists have family-friendly rides in the town. Lots of other clubs, Addiscombe has legendary club runs, London Dynamo for roadie snobs etc. I don't have personal experince with any of these clubs bar the Dunwich Dynamo - think Southwark Cyclists did that one.

Bike Caff: Look Mum No Hands in Old Street is great, a real cyclists' hangout. Coffee's very good. Can also recommend Bar Italia in Frith Street (Soho) for atmosphere... I can't recommend any rides really as the place has changed a lot since I last lived near there. Oh and if you like beer, recommend The Parcel Yard at King's Cross Station: Fullers beer and an excellent pub and place. Can spend all day in there...

Thank you Christopher! What a great list. I will definitely have to start by looking into those rides with the Greenwich club, as that's where we'll be based.