Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Race!!

Race!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay Ladies,
    My first race of the season (and of my life for that matter) is fast approaching on June 7th. I am nervous but excited. I'm just looking at the swim as a warm up giving me a chance to hammer it on my bike and hopefully still have legs leftover for the run!!! I've heard that spinning in high RPMs before I get off the bike will help.

I need tips on transition. I've heard all kinds of things.... My cycling shoes are the 4 strap Carnacs that I just love but those will take a few seconds to put on.

I HAVE to wear socks for my run or I will get blisters so is it better to put socks on at T1 or T2?

Also ladies, what do I wear? Now I am NOT wearing only my bathing suit for the entire race. Is it better to get a tri suit or just put on my cycing shorts over my swim suit and be done with it?

SO many questions....SO little time. HELP, Ladies!!!

Many, many thanks!
    Vanessa
    Vanessa

i would put socks on at first transition. one less thing to worry about when you start the run.

they have some really cool tri- suits with a padded seat so you don't have to change clothes from swim to bike.

i would treat this race as a learning ground. you will find what works for you and what doesn't. but above all:

HAVE FUN AND KICK SOME MAJOR BUTT!!!!!!

please let us know how it goes.

You Go Girl! I just did my first Tri (Danksin @ Disney World - women only), and it was a blast! You'll be hooked after your first race!
    Somewhat resembling a sloth, my T1 took forever (4:22 - aagh!)! I put my cycling glove on backwards and had to take it off and put it on again, and fearing my newly purchased $25 open swim mask (it was awesome, by the way!) would get trampled, I had to make sure it was tucked safely away in my bag! I have to wear prescription sunglasses (yes, prescription racing glasses are on my wish list!) and when I put them on they kept fogging up, so I kept having to wipe them with my (wet) hand towel because it's important to actually SEE the road you're riding on... you get the picture! T2 went better because I wore my running shoes (had toe clips) and running shorts (over my swimsuit) on the bike. I'll definitely have at least tri shorts next time (A tri-suit is on my wish list too!). I just purchased some Diadora tri bike shoes (two velcro straps with no tongue) and am putting Look pedals on my bike (a 1987 vintage Trek 560 Pro Series I bought used - it's my best friend!).
    Being tired after the bike, I didn't push myself at all in the run - I jogged and walked (OK - WALKED more than jogged!) and took it easy because I didn't want to hurt myself. To be honest, I didn't run any in my training and had only ridden my bike once - my friend talked me into signing up a week before the race (I swim 3x weekly), but trust me, I didn't regret it! I just knew I had to take it easy.
    I think it's important to get your heart rate up before the race so that you're warmed up (it also helps your nerves!). If you're not a strong swimmer, you can jog before the swim. I love to swim, so I warmed up in the water. I thought there would be a bunch of girls warming up, but I was actually the first one in the water to swim (some were standing in it). I just pretended I knew exactly what I was doing and swam over to a guy in a kayak to make sure it was OK, and he said that it was fine! After that, other people started swimming too (weird, huh?).

TRICYCLE'S FIRST - TIMER TIPS:

* Find someone who looks as nervous as you feel (goosebumps all over her arms, hands in a praying position, glazed eyes, etc.) at the swim start and wish her luck. It'll make both you and her breathe and feel better!

* Swim start will be nothing less than pure pandemonium (NOT an exaggeration!). Don't worry about putting your head in at first. Once you get going, REMEMBER TO BREATHE WHEN YOU TAKE A BREATH (I'm serious now). Make sure you are blowing your air out (making bubbles) before you turn your head so that you are able to take a full breath before you turn your head back into the water. We tend to hold our breathe when we are fearful and nervous, so you don't want to hyperventilate. That wasn't a problem for me because I love the water, but some of the other girls experienced it.

*practice your transitions at home (I didn't!). You may want to take a little plastic bucket or dishpan to put water (I used lake water) in and a hand towel to rinse and dry your feet before you put on your socks and shoes.

* Reconsider wearing your cycling gloves - if it's a sprint (mine was just ten miles), you may not really need them.

* Stay at your own pace. DO NOT worry about everyone who passes you (they're the elite and professionals, honest!). Try to stay in the easiest gear possible - don't push your legs and make them strain.

* Drink all of your water in your bottle - trust me, you'll be glad you did when you get to the run!

* You probably already know this (I didn't - oops!) but unless it's an ITU race, don't draft!

* Pass only on the left and say loudly, "Passing on your left!" at least twice. One girl I came up on was actually riding on the left side of the road (always ride on the right), but I didn't pass her on the right. I called out, "passing on your left!" and waited until she moved over to go around.

* Take carbos to eat after the race - I like bananas & bagels. My bottle of gatorade (classic fruit punch!) tasted like nectar from the gods and helped me recover. Also, don't stand still; keep walking for at least five minutes after you finish (even if you don't feel like it!).

* Most of all, don't try to go at "race" speed. This is your first one, so take the time to enjoy it!

BEST OF LUCK!

Thanks SO much! I really appreciated all the detail. I went down to see the race course this weekend. The lake looked SO gross!!! The bike course doesn't seem like TOO big a deal and I actually did the run. I did it in 28 minutes...maybe better on race day.

There are 2 different transition areas. I hope there are alot of people directing the T2 traffic because I forsee myself getting VERY lost.

I got 2 very bright yellow towels to use at both T1 and T2 so I can find my stuff. A friend who is going with me is going to get my stuff from T1 and meet me at T2.

What did you wear? I'm going to wear Pearl Izumi tri shorts and a Zoot tri top that I can swim in.

SO many questions But I know I'll have tons of fun! I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks again,
    Vanessa
    Vanessa

Do you have an open water swim mask or goggles? I wear goggles when I work out in the pool, but I was able to buy an "Aqua Sphere" swim mask the day before my race and it was WONDERFUL!

What you have to wear sounds perfect; you might want to swim in it once to see if there are any problems (there shouldn't be) and to see how it feels.

Have you cycled and run together in one workout? Since it's close to your race, you may not want to do it for a long distance, but it might help you to get a feel for T2.

I know you'll do great - just take it easy and enjoy the race!

I do have goggles and use them regularly. The swim in the part I am most nervous about (other than T2). I've decided to use it as a warm up for the bike where I will really hammer. (in a small chain ring like you suggested)

As far as brick workouts, I have not done many. I have a lesson with my coach on Thursday for one last practice. I do know the heavy laden feeling in the quads when first starting the run. I will remind myself of this and BREATHE. I am confident that I will eventually find my legs somewhere on the run!

Hey, did you carb-load? I heard that the day to eat a good meal is on Thursday (race day is Saturday).I don't want to eat a huge meal Friday night and have digestion problems on Saturday (if you get my drift!)

I plan to do Gu and Accelerade on the bike and maybe one more Gu for the run. This, by the way, is a Sprint. I don't do my Olympic (Walt Disney) until Sept!

Thanks for all the tips!!!
    Vanessa

I did carb load somewhat, but not in the strict sense; I didn't deplete my carb stores by eating only proteins for a couple of days and then eat carbs. I ate a vegetarian pasta dish (at a Disney Resort restaurant - YUM!) the night before my race, but I didn't stuff myself. I didn't eat any proteins the day before my race, either.

You're right about the big meal; a suggestion I just read in a book (this is how they do it at the Ironman in Hawaii) is to eat your big carbo meal TWO nights before the race and eat moderately the day before (carbs) so that you aren't stuffed for your race. It also says to go to bed early TWO nights before and get a good night's sleep because you'll be "wired for sound" (excited & hyper!) the night before (very true!).

I ate a banana & a plain bagel (not toasted) and drank a glass of gatorade when I got up (4am) the morning of the race (start - 6:30am), because that's what my tummy is used to and did fine. Just eat stuff you know that your stomach is used to - Gu and accelerate sound great for the race. Just make sure you don't forget to drink all of your bottle on the bike so you don't bonk on the run.

I'm excited for you - you'll do great!

Sprint Tri

Hi Vanessa,

I am doing my first sprint in 11 days! My next goal is to do an Olympic Distance about 5 weeks later. Have you found any great training materials?

TIA

Cheryl

Cheryl,
    By training materials, do you mean books? If so, then Triathlon 101 was outstanding!

Good luck with your race! THere is nothing like crossing the finish line.

Vanessa
    Vanessa

I'm in a similar boat as you. I just finished my second triathlon (sprint distance), so I am full of questions as well, but I have a few things I've learmed from the two I've done.

a) I bought a triathlon suit, and thankful I did. I hate chaffing, and this automatically cut down on it.

b) a CamelBak (a backpack filled with water and/or sports drink) helped a lot instead of having to reach for a bottle. Dilluting sports drink with water also helped cut down on cramps.

Okay, those are the suggestions I have. Now I need some advice. I've used my mountain bike twice and I'm painfully realizing that it is two heavy. A) Will a 10-speed be better B)What are the odds of finding a used race bike for someone only 5 ft. tall C) If I go bike shopping, what should I look for and expect to pay? I didn't want to go out and buy a $700 race bike to find out this was a sport I didn't like. (I'm training for my third sprint distance. Obviously, I've past the "I don't know if I like this" hurdle.)

Any suggestions?

Ren

My experience

Well, I survived my first Tri and am ready for my second this weekend. Here is what I learned.

I did not do well on the bike/run transition and have really been focusing on that part of the race the past several weeks. This past weekend I did a race distance bike/run and did well. What helped the most was having a power gel just before running. It gave me an energy boost. I also stood up on my bike to get the blood pumping through my legs. I improved my run by just under 4 minutes. I also bought a quick draw water bottle to carry with me on the run. During my first race, I wasn't able to drink much on the bike because I cut my water with gatorade and it did not sit well. I also got a side cramp from the sugars in the gatorade. The swim is my strongest leg. I am feeling confident for this weekends race.

Ren, in response to your bike question, I am also planning on a new bike in the spring. I have a mountain bike (45 lbs) and was told by my trainer that I could get a racing bike that would weigh less than half of my mountain bike. At what cost I don't know, but he indicated about $1000.00. I am tired of being passed on the bike. LOL

I wore TYR Tris Shorts and a DeSoto Tri Top (the sports bra cut). I was very comfortable, but this time I am going to wear my DeSoto Tri Shorts.

Good Luck!

Cheryl

If you have the money to spend I would suggest:
    http://softride.com/bike/bikes.asp

I borrowed one for my last tri, It was so plush I loved it and did not want to give it back.

new bike

Originally posted by Ren
    Now I need some advice. I've used my mountain bike twice and I'm painfully realizing that it is two heavy. A) Will a 10-speed be better B)What are the odds of finding a used race bike for someone only 5 ft. tall C) If I go bike shopping, what should I look for and expect to pay? I didn't want to go out and buy a $700 race bike to find out this was a sport I didn't like. (I'm training for my third sprint distance. Obviously, I've past the "I don't know if I like this" hurdle.)

Any suggestions?

Ren
    A) A road bike will absolutely make a difference! When I made the switch from my trail bike, I improved my bike time by 15 minutes at the same sprint triathlon, from the year before. The bike is lighter, quicker, more responsive, more aerodynamic.

B) I found my first road bike on eBay. There are pros/cons, but if you want to go used, you would need to visit websites to make sure you are looking for the right sized bike, first. Then, ask the seller lots of questions and if they aren't very responsive, forget it. You want to have confidence that they aren't trying to unload a junker. Also, you can check out roadbikereview.com for reviews and used bikes, as well.

C) Before you pay the $$ (and $700 sounds about right for entry level), you will want to determine whether to get a road bike and alter it for triathlons (clip-on aerobars) or a tri-specific bike. If you plan on touring or century riding, you may want the former, until you can afford both. The latter has the more compact geometry that will benefit you most for racing, as it uses your leg muscles in a way that will save your legs more for the run, but it will not be as comfortable of a ride for doing club/fun rides.

My two cents! ~Angie

First Tri - suit or no?

Hi, I'm new around here, and brand new to triathlons. I am competing in my first tri in May. Is anyone else from Oregon? The race is at Hagg Lake, I'm guessing that the water will still be cold from Spring Snow melt. Does anyone have any insight to this race location, what the temp of the lake is, and whether people would recommend that I purchase/rent a tri-suit?

Thanks, -The newbie