Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Other Olympic Observations

To disable ads, please log-in.

Such a big party, doesn't it deserve more than one thread?

I'll start:

There are cheerleaders at this volleyball match that Brewer is watching right now. I cant tell if they came to support Serbia or the USA or if they are non-partisan and supplied by the host city. They have pink striped sleeves.

What's up with that?

What do you like and what bugs you?
    Random observations, bad politics, fun stuff, annoying stuff.
    Let's hear it.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I thought the whole Industrial Revolution part of the opening ceremony was dull. It was well done, of course but dull. How much more depressing can you get. And the rural stuff before that was a bit weird. I loved most everything else I saw....except I could not stay awake for the whole thing and that annoyed me. This is the first year I remember it being till Midnight and I couldn't stay awake. I fell asleep during the parade of nations "R". and I really wanted to see S, and U. ugh.

I also heard that the beach volleyball outfits are going to be tamer than usual, and show less skin.

I'm enjoying it all!

In the parade of nations I was nodding off at about Ghana and decided to go to bed at about Indonesia.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Can we please dump all these back story look at athlete things. They take away time that would be better suited to showing actual competition.

Think I fell asleep somewhere around Lithuania, in the parade of nations. That's my favorite part of opening ceremonies, just wish it was available live so it would have been at a reasonable hour, at least for someone who's usually in bed by 10pm.

One odd observation: has anyone else noticed that all the play-by-play announcers for NBCetc. are men? They have women working as sideline reporters and expert/color analysts and studio anchors, but not doing play-by-play. Maybe there have been some I haven't caught, but it's odd...

My favorite part of the opening ceremonies is the lighting of the Olympic flame... I think Barcelona 1992 cannot be topped in how spectacular it was, but this year's was nice.

In the ceremonies before the parade, I wish they had shown some men in kilts, some highlands games. :-)

The NBC athlete profiles and stories... could be left for online fodder...

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    How about those glowing bicycle Monthras? Doves, whatever, Mothras to me. They were great, and I want a pair of those wings.

I like the back stories. Otherwise, there are very few athletes I would know anything about (sad, but true).

I think it's colder in England, and the beach volleyball has been late at night. I suspect that's why they're wearing long sleeves some.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

It's colder in England in general. I think the daytime temps are in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    How about those glowing bicycle Monthras? Doves, whatever, Mothras to me. They were great, and I want a pair of those wings.
    Those were cool. The cameras did not focus on them for long. I wanted to see more detail, how those wings were attached! <and what bikes they were riding>

I'm not sure I'm nuts about the random switching around of sports on NBC stations and BRAVO??

The industrial part of the opening ceremonies was too dark for me, and the teenage thing, frankly, I have 2 teens. I can see that garbage here. The "I found your cell phone" business was stupid. My sons asked "So, what, she has 2 cell phones?"

I don't know, sweetheart, I was busy trying to tune the whole thing out.

One more thing- The "Call me maybe" video by the swim team was FABULOUS as far as I'm concerned.

I think background info on the athletes can be good. I just hate how they always try to emphasize some kind of melodrama. Like, we couldn't learn about where Tyler Farrar was from or his family or how he got into cycling -- we had to hear about the death of his close friend instead.

I haven't really watched anything except cycling yet.

From past Olympics, I would like to say that the men who play beach volleyball ought to be forced to wear speedos. What's good for the goose...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Queen Elizabeth can skydive! And those corgies!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

OH!! I LOVED the swim team singing that song. So fun and youthful. I want to look up the part of the ceremony I missed and watch it. I didn't see the bike moths.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I think background info on the athletes can be good. I just hate how they always try to emphasize some kind of melodrama. Like, we couldn't learn about where Tyler Farrar was from or his family or how he got into cycling -- we had to hear about the death of his close friend instead.

I haven't really watched anything except cycling yet.

From past Olympics, I would like to say that the men who play beach volleyball ought to be forced to wear speedos. What's good for the goose...
    ...is good for the goose to watch...I agree. Make them run and jump while risking their junk falling out.