Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Fender recommendations?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I didn't think I'd be researching fenders until after I bought a Cross-Check (future N+1), but it looks like I'll need them sooner for the Aurora.

The bike came with flat, slab-like (plastic?) fenders (brand unknown) which are not the most attractive things, but they do the job. Yesterday while resting briefly, my front wheel casually turned when I reached for my water bottle. The fender put a nasty 2" gash in my leg-which bled for the rest of the ride.

The first time this happened, I was preventing the bike from falling over. The turn of the wheel was more forceful, so I wasn't too surprised to get a significant bruise and a cut where the end of the fender had hit my lower leg. This time, though, it was just a gentle turn of the wheel at a standstill. I don't even want contemplate the additional damage these fenders could cause in a fall.

This is my favorite bike, so replacing these poorly-designed things would probably be a good idea. I'm considering silver Velo Orange fenders that are have rounded edges. Can anyone comment on them-or offer other brands?

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

We have Planet Bike Cascadia road (not touring) fenders on our Auroras. Like you, we didn't like the stock fenders that came on the bike. On a tour last year, a piece of wood managed to lodge itself between the fender and tire. Part of the fender was damaged. Planet Bike replaced it for free.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Another vote for the Cascadias. They've held up well, and I love that Planet Bike sells lots of little replacement pieces (hardware, mudflaps, etc.).

Great endorsements for Planet Bike. I'll have a look at them. My tires are currently size 32s. I don't think I'll be changing that, but was wondering if fenders are sized in such a way so that you can possibly make minor changes if you wanted to?

I have the Planet Bike fenders too on my hybrid (new purchase, new installation) and they work great. I have 32s on my hybrid and the fenders that I purchased worked find. I can adjust how close or far I want the fenders to be to the tire surface.

2009 Trek FX 7.3
    2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact

I have experience with all of the one's you have mentioned. The VO's will not be as noisy as the Planet bikes tend to be as they are aluminum not plastic. I am putting the VO Zeppelin's on Sky because my Gilles Berthoud's aren't wide enough for my new tires. Another one to look at is the SKS Longboards - super nice fender for a great price.
    Last edited by Sky King; 07-30-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I don't know where the time goes, but I've been remiss in getting back to this discussion. My apologies to everyone who took the time to respond to my fender inquiry-only to have me disappear.

I'm still wavering between the VOs and Planet Bike Cascadias. I do know that I want silver-colored fenders, as the bike is cerulean blue with silver accents. The rims and rear rack are black, which darkens things quite a bit. If I ever upgrade the wheels, I'd want silver. But that's a long way off...

Also, I'm leaning more toward metal fenders-while trying to keep an open mind to other options.