Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

toe pain/numbess-shoe suggestion

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am having an off/on problem with toe pain and toe numbness. My toes HURT and then go numb. It was doing it on longer rides but it did it on shorter rides too

I'm not wearing clipless shoes (or whatever they're called) and don't plan to. I'm wearing regular tennis shoes.

If anyone has ANY suggestions...shoes, foot position, inserts etc... on how to "fix" this problem it would be great! I'm training for a longer ride so I need to correct this issue

thanks

neither I use regular peddles...like on a normal regular bike. I don't like the cages or clipless peddles/shoes at all.

I tried harder sole shoes (like they can't get any harder) and it was worse.

This is my 3rd season riding. I started with a hybrid bike with out clip in shoes and wore my tennis shoes. I then decided to go with a lighter bike because I was riding on the road more than trails. I kept my tennis shoes and had the same problem with numbing and almost like dead feet, and then the pain would go up my leg. I went to several bike stores and they all told me I needed clip in shoes. I converted! I was also told to purchase them one half size up, like a runner, so you have room when swelling occurs. I went with a MTB (mountain bike shoe) I prefer those to road bike shoes for now and I have not had a problem with my feet. I also have noticed a significant increase in strength and peddling ability,and I dont get as tired. So it might be worth it to look into it further. They dont have to cost alot either!

Trek Fx7.5
    Specialized Ruby 2011

you've probably done this, but I'd also make sure that your bike seat is adjust correctly.

I'm thinking bike fit, riding position, and/or saddle.

Numbness sounds like some nerves are involved so the problem might not be originating at your foot (or feet).
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I was having the same problem with the numb foot. Try adjusting your seat either forward or backwards. To make a difference you don't need to move it much, just try out slight adjustments and see what happens. For me all it took was the seat moved forward a tiny bit, and it's made the whole numb foot issue a whole lot better. Worth a try

I've noticed the same issue with my toes in my Nike Free Crosstrainers. I'm thinking flexibility is some of the issue because I ride my mtb with low top hiking shoes and have never had an issue. They're way too clunky/heavy for my road bike. I have Zerfas mini clips (just wrap over the toes of my shoes) so anything chunkier than tennis shoes don't fit too great.

A friend that has rode the Seattle to Portland (2 day double century) 4 times wears basic Pearl Izumi mtb shoes without any cleats (left the rubber cover on). He really likes them a lot since they're sturdier than standard shoes and more breathable. He also uses Power Grip straps so there's lots of ways to position the feet. So maybe making a conscious effort to vary the foot position a little can help keep the blood flowing.

Another possible variable is the laces. I have serious problems with my feet falling asleep on my snowboard. It's typically when I get the strap over the top of my foot too tight. The main vein to the foot runs along the top so if your laces/straps/binding are too tight as the feet swell its easy for circulation to be constricted.
    2011 Trek Lexa SLX "Silver Surfer"
    1998 Specialized HardRock AX FS

Where are you placing your foot on the pedal?

Whe I rode my hybrid last year with tennis shoes and platforms, i used to place my toes towards the back of the pedal. I was mainly using my toes to do all of the work. THis caused horrible pain and numbness, until someone told me to move the pedal more under the ball of my foot. Ohhh! What a difference.

I am not sure of the exact position you should use, but maybe try a few different spots.

Even after this mostly corrected the problem, I would still get slightly numb feet on longer rides. I would have to take my feet off the pedals every couple of miles and move them around.

Also, are your tennis shoes wide enough in the toe box? Your feet might be swelling while you ride.

Could you have plantar fasciitis? This can lead to pain and numbness in the toes while riding. Stretching your achilles tendon can help.

Maybe the stiffer soled shoe that you tried was not for you. Maybe it was too tight?

This really sounds like a shoe and shoe/fit problem. What type of shoe did you try that was stiff? Do you have wide feet, narrow feet?