Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What kind of bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am new to bike riding and I just discovered Cyclocross via google (saw it on this site and wondering what it was) WOW! Looks like so much fun!
    I am probably getting ahead of myself conscidering I am totally out of shape and new to riding.. but I can see myself wanting to do this down the line.

I am curious, what kind of bike do you need to do this? I assume my Specialized Ariel wouldn't cut it?
    Can you use Cyclocross bikes for just road biking once the season is over?

Thanks,
    Jenny

It does look like fun, doesn't it?

Cyclocross bikes look a lot like road bikes (drop bars and all that), but have wider tires and a few other tweaks to make them mud-friendlier. Some have disc brakes. IIRC, Specialized makes the Crux and Tricross. Giant has the TCX, and there are others (Surly Crosscheck, Redline, etc). You'll have to do some more research if you truly need a WSD bike, because there aren't that many WSD cross bikes out there.

And yes, you can absolutely ride them on the road--just swap the tires out. Also good for winter because they can take studded tires--good if you live in the frozen north. If you're only going to have one bike, a CX bike is probably a good choice!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I have a friend whose primary bike is a custom Seven in titanium...she swaps out tires for road or off-road riding. My dream bike would be pretty much the same sort of concept, except with disc brakes (since the brakes commonly used on CX brakes don't stop well on the road from higher speeds). I'd have 2 sets of wheels--one mounted with slicks and 1 mounted with knobbies. It's a pipedream for now, but maybe in 3-5 years it would happen. It would be kinda cool to have one perfect bike.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I am new to bike riding and I just discovered Cyclocross via google (saw it on this site and wondering what it was) WOW! Looks like so much fun!
    I am probably getting ahead of myself conscidering I am totally out of shape and new to riding.. but I can see myself wanting to do this down the line.

I am curious, what kind of bike do you need to do this? I assume my Specialized Ariel wouldn't cut it?
    Can you use Cyclocross bikes for just road biking once the season is over?

Thanks,
    Jenny
    Warning: CX is highly addictive Seriously, it's a blast. Beginner races often allow riders to use mtbs w/o bar ends. Road bikes are a challenge due to tire width limitations. If you were to get a cross bike, just swap out tires and run it on the road. If I was to own a single bike, it would be a CX bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    If I was to own a single bike, it would be a CX bike.
    This is what I tell all my friends who are interested in cycling. Get a decent CX bike and a 2nd set of wheels mounted with slick tires...and swap them as needed.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    This is what I tell all my friends who are interested in cycling. Get a decent CX bike and a 2nd set of wheels mounted with slick tires...and swap them as needed.
    My first bike was a CX bike, it was great for learning to road ride. A little sad I got rid of her (she's under a fellow TEers care now).
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my cross bike. I picked up the Specialized Crux Expert Force back in May and sing nothing but praises. I picked up a spare set of used Zipps off ebay and mounted road tires and use my cross bike set up with road tires for long distance rides. It's a little more sluggish in responding then my road bike but I am looking forward to riding this winter while everyone else is stuck in the gym
    Felt F65
    Specialized Crux Expert Force (My baby)

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazejane View Post
    ...I am looking forward to riding this winter while everyone else is stuck in the gym
    Studded tire rides are fun! The only thing that stinks about Winter riding is how godawful braking is with icy rims. Someday all my bikes will have disc brakes for this reason!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Studded tire rides are fun! The only thing that stinks about Winter riding is how godawful braking is with icy rims. Someday all my bikes will have disc brakes for this reason!
    Exactly why our CX bike purchase this year is for the Cannondales with discs! Can't wait.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    Exactly why our CX bike purchase this year is for the Cannondales with discs! Can't wait.

SheFly
    I am totally lusting over the SuperX!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Although perhaps not exactly what you are looking for... the 2012 Cannondales are on sale!!

I am totally lusting over the SuperX!
    I *think* that's what we're getting!

And yes - the 2012 C'dales are a bargain right now.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    Although perhaps not exactly what you are looking for... the 2012 Cannondales are on sale!!
    *sticks fingers in ears* La la la la, I'm not listening!

Does anyone other than Giant make a WSD CX bike?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...