Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

OMFG. I'm setting the DVR, and the on-screen cable guide has "Olympics" from 5 am to SIX PM tomorrow. My choices are to record THIRTEEN HOURS or none at all. There's no way to end the recording at 11:00 or noon.

Same for Sunday, when they'll show the women's road race.

Idiots.

UPDATE: A MIRACLE HAS OCCURRED. I called Comcast to ask how I could record just a portion of the 13-hour program that was listed in the on-screen guide, and the customer service person actually was able to tell me how to do it.

I am speechless. A positive experience with the cable company.
    Last edited by ny biker; 07-27-2012 at 07:25 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My dish isn't quite that bad it's got Olympics from 5am until 8am and then from 8am until 6pm. I'm also not taping all that. I'm taking the F1 and GP2 stuff and will just watch whatever I can of the Olympics which won't be a good chunck of tomorrow afternoon since I just picked up a theater trailer check for tomorrow and will be at the movies watching trailers most of the afternoon (not movies, just the previews). At least the pay will be decent.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    Back to our regularly scheduled thread...
    Barely turned on NBC and I'm tired of the production values already.
    I'm watching the West Coast feed now, and during the parade of athletes the commentary is so frequently focused on who will or won't win what quantity of medals. It kind of seems anti-Olympic spirit, at least at this point in the games, where we're celebrating the coming together of athletes. It feels like an hour of sizing up the competition and patting those who don't have a chance on the head for being so cute.

Yay for Simon Whitfield, Canadian triathlete, for being the flag bearer!

The commentary through all the music numbers was inane. Some of it is interesting (what each bit is supposed to symbolize or who developed different pieces) but after that, just go away and let us watch.

They also cut this segment: http://t.co/1o4ucLKK

Also... so many commercials! My dad called it the commercialympics opening ceremonies. So thankful for DVRs.

(Maybe watching the opening ceremonies late on a Friday night after I only got 4 hours of sleep is a bad idea )

I'm sorry that your coverage was so heavily edited and commented. I am hoping that the BBC will put some of the Opening Ceremony onto i-player, it was some of the most amazing television that I have ever watched and I think deserves watching in its original commercial-free form. Cycling was well represented I thought, with Bradley Wiggins opening the Ceremony and Sir Chris Hoy leading the British team out. The sequence with winged cyclists looked pretty amazing too, though that was after my bedtime. And how brilliant that the cauldron was lit by seven young athletes.

So brilliant though - The Queen taking a cameo role with James Bond, Rowan Atkinson playing with the London Symphony Orchestra, a superb segment on the NHS performed with staff and patients from Great Ormond St childrens' hospital, incredibly poignant moments with the dance routine remembering the victims of the terrorist attack the day after we were celebrating getting the Olympics. That's very sad indeed that that piece was cut from your feed, Colby.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Morning despair. I wake up early to watch the men's road race... they had it on for a few minutes and then cut to swimming, preliminary heats and women warming up for heat 1. NBC is just terrible.

Update: thanks to ny_biker, I am watching online now. Thanks. Crisis averted.
    Last edited by pll; 07-28-2012 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    Morning despair. I wake up early to watch the men's road race... they had it on for a few minutes and then cut to swimming, preliminary heats and women warming up for heat 1. NBC is just terrible.

Update: thanks to ny_biker, I am watching online now. Thanks. Crisis averted.
    NBC keeps going back and forth - but yeah - swimming is getting more time

You may also like to try: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video

There is live coverage of a number of events - pick your sport. Men's road race on now. The only thing is you'll get British commentators rooting for our team.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    I'm sorry that your coverage was so heavily edited and commented. I am hoping that the BBC will put some of the Opening Ceremony onto i-player, it was some of the most amazing television that I have ever watched and I think deserves watching in its original commercial-free form. Cycling was well represented I thought, with Bradley Wiggins opening the Ceremony and Sir Chris Hoy leading the British team out. The sequence with winged cyclists looked pretty amazing too, though that was after my bedtime. And how brilliant that the cauldron was lit by seven young athletes.

So brilliant though - The Queen taking a cameo role with James Bond, Rowan Atkinson playing with the London Symphony Orchestra, a superb segment on the NHS performed with staff and patients from Great Ormond St childrens' hospital, incredibly poignant moments with the dance routine remembering the victims of the terrorist attack the day after we were celebrating getting the Olympics. That's very sad indeed that that piece was cut from your feed, Colby.
    Like hebe I was really impressed with the opening ceremony. BBC Iplayer link if you want to watch it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ny_audio_desc/ I think there is a version with commentary and also one without.

Woke up here in Friday Harbor at 6 AM, after an 11 hr. travel day yesterday, putting the Gurus together, and drinking/eating with old friends. The cable signal for NBC was almost nil, so DH just spent an hr. fixing it. We could hear the men's road race, but not see it. Now the swimming is on.
    What's wrong with these people at our inn? Don't they know everyone wants to wake up at 5 and watch cycling?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Dear Rigoberto: You must learn to pay attention in the last kilometer of a road race.

What was Urán looking at? Good for Vino, though. Wish they had shown the medal ceremony instead of heat 1000 of the swimming competition. And a replay of an earlier heat. I hate NBC.
    Last edited by pll; 07-28-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Thank you for the BBC links! Much better!! I posted before I saw Chris Hoy, too, very cool.

The cycling coverage on NBC makes me yearn for the features of the TdF broadcasts. It would be so useful to have the overview of how far back the peloton is from the breakaways, how many breakaways there are, how many athletes are in each, how many miles there are to go, and the time, on the screen much more often.

The commentary isn't bad, though, and they've been mostly showing cycling for several hours now. Very cool! It's timely that the Olympics happen so close to the TdF so people are more interested in cycling.

I am having a bit of an issue with time-delayed coverage, I either have to watch the coverage OR read the news, can't do both unless I want the result spoiled. A lot of it is still worth watching, though.

We got the whole men's road race.
    It looked like we had several channels to choose from showing long bits of stated sports rather than the old irritating cut away, cut away, cut away coverage.

***spoiler***

To hit the wall is heartbreaking. Haven't heard yet if it was bone breaking.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    To hit the wall is heartbreaking. Haven't heard yet if it was bone breaking.
    Ditto. I did not see the crash (out on a ride), just the aftermath. Heartbreaking is appropriate.

The BBC road race coverage was quite disappointing, apparently this is because they take it from a separate Olympics broadcaster. There was very little in the way of onscreen metrics and an awful lot of aerial shots of trees. I hope they improve it for the womens race tomorrow.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Just found this -- the cause was some faulty GPS... might be sorted before the women's race:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...rvices-cycling