Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized S-Works Cycling Shoes & Hot Spots

To disable ads, please log-in.

About 5 weeks ago, I decided to upgrade my old Specialized Road Comp road shoes to the new Specialized S-Works road shoe. I went to a shop and got fitted.

Great.

They had to order them since the store didn't carry that color and size so I waited about 1 week for them to come in.

I got them, they mounted the cleats and I was off. I've been riding with this new shoe for about 5 weeks now. I've experience way more hot spots than I have with other, lesser quality, less expensive shoes. The pain is definitely localized to mostly just my left foot (but sometimes, more recently, my right), on the pad of the foot, just below the toe joints. I road 81 miles last Saturday and went out for another ride on Sunday. My feet were actually sore. I've never had this problem.

Anyone have any advice? Is this an insole problem? I've tried adjusting the cleats and they are in the same position as my other shoes (where I did not have any problems). Any other factors I should consider? I don't think the break in period should be this long. I use them for 200-250 miles/week.

HELP! Please!
    2009 Blue RD-1/White Selle Italia Max Flite Gel

hmmm that is the first I heard of with the S-Work shoes. Most of the upper level cyclists in our club wear them and I have not heard of problem. My gf who use to to get hot spots with her other shoes does not have the problem any longer with the S-works shoe.

I know you mentioned getting fitted, but to find them to be extra snug?
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Nope, not snug.

This is really baffling me as I chose these shoes because they tauted elimination of hot spots. But I'm also finding that I seem to be the only one that has a hot spot problem. So clearly, I'm the problem, but I'd like to find a solution so a $400 shoe doesn't go to waste

It couldn't hurt to try a different insole. I use SOLE insoles in my road shoes. This may sound out there, but I also have a bit of moleskin that is attached to my insole. I've long had a bad hot foot (well, really it's a hot toe) issue. It doesn't really matter which shoe I wear, although my SIDIs are not the top of the line so I can't say that I've exhausted my options. Between better insoles, the moleskin, thin socks and the repeated use of Tiger Balm during the course of my rides, I can keep the pain mostly at bay. Prior to these admittedly weird fixes, the pain would be about a 9 on the pain scale. The fact that you didn't previously have any issues and have otherwise replicated your cleat set up has me stumped though. That stinks.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Me too. It's definitely in the metatarsal area. Which is what this insole from Specialized that came with the shoe is supposed to be so good at - protecting that area and eliminating hot spots.

I've contacted Specialized through their website, Twitter, and Facebook and haven't heard back yet. I know I'm maybe 1 in 1232132432422132 that may have experienced a problem with the shoe, but man, spending that kind of money hurts and for the shoe to feel like it's working against me really bums me out.

I'd probably go back to your fitter and see if he/she can help out. It might be the cleats need to be moved and/or you need different insoles or you might need wedges.. or...?

Most reputable fitters would want you to come back and let them know of the problem so they can further tweak the fit for you. The shoes are likely much stiffer than your other shoes so perhaps they aren't as flexible to the various motions of your foot during the pedal stroke. Your foot may also have to adjust to this. This is all postulation on my part, however since I'm not a fitter by any stretch.

If you trust your fitter I'd go back to them. If not, then as others have mentioned go thru some trial and error with the various options out there. My friend had the same issue and actually went to a podiatrist who also happened to be a cyclist.. or a triathelete. She found that at least gave her clues about her feet and some direction on how best to resolve issues.

Good luck!
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Actually, the fact that they are quite a bit stiffer and was one of the reasons my feet cry had crossed my mind. I'll try a variation of the suggestions and hopefully, something will work!

Thanks everyone!

I'm tempted to vote for "shoes too loose" They really should make you "nervous" about the size being too small when you WALK in them.
    Additionally they come with the smallest (least) footbeds. Perhaps you are a candidate for BLUE footbeds rather than the red or black stock ones.

Another issue we sometimes see is too much or too little last curve to match the foot. General rule is pain on the outside...get a straighter last shoe. Px on the inside get more last curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
    Another issue we sometimes see is too much or too little last curve to match the foot. General rule is pain on the outside...get a straighter last shoe. Px on the inside get more last curve.

sorry if this is hijack.. but i resemble this. well not really pain but cramping on outside. what is a straight last shoe??
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

What are the BLUE footbeds?

I have the same issue, for me its the right foot, I clip out with the left foot so this one is clipped in most of the time.

It usually happens at about 60-70 miles into a ride.

Sharon

I agree with the other posters

3 things to look into

1) not snug enough

2) cleat position

3) need for a different insole

Also if it is extremely hot where you are, trying squirting water on your feet when it starts to occur- sometimes it has to do with heat and bringing down the temp can help relieve some of the pain.

I basically had the same issue with my new, very expensive Shimanos (the ones that get molded). I switched from Sidis because I needed a wider toe box and a a narrow heel. The first ride was so painful, I had to ride without insoles. I promptly went to the Good Feet store and got the blue insoles. It's better, but basically, I have to barely tighten the ratchet and wear the thinnest socks I can find. I still have issues with my left foot, that has a bunion and is the one I clip in/out with.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

My gf, who has no bike knowledge, also suggested they might have been too loose (which definitely made sense), so yesterday, I tightened them up real good and rode 60. Still had the same problems. I also tried the SOLE moldable footbeds, wore them for about 2 weeks, put 200-250/week on them, and they hurt like bloody hell so I put the original insole back into the shoes. I'm thinking maybe I need to move the cleat position toward the heel? I don't want to lose too much power. Anyone have any thoughts on moving the cleats back and how that affects power output?