Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    +1 for little pockets.

My panniers don't have them, but I use a trunk bag too so all the little stuff goes in there.
    +1. I'm having flashbacks ot our Katy Tour last fall. We had Nashbar waterproof panniers, which for $50, isn't a bad way to go. But everything small gets lost at the bottom of them. I can't tell you how many times we had to remove nearly everything to find the one thing we were looking for.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I bought a thin flat purse with a top zipper that fits well in my panniers. It solves the issue of losing small stuff to the depths and I don't have to collect all that stuff when I'm away from my bike.

I nabbed a set of Racktime TravelIt panniers on Ebay for ~$50 last year, and they've been fantastic. Good size, plenty of pockets, integrated rain cover, and the Ortlieb rack attachment system.

looks like the 17" is a pannier and the smaller one, 13", is just a bag.

btw, the inside of bag has an image that some folks found offensive. i think it added whimsy to an otherwise black bag. i liked the bag since it also had an easy off the bike carry option - a wide, comfortable strap that makes the bag look messenger bag-like.

that said, as folks have said, people love their arkel bugs. i too considered this but since i wasn't sure of what i might actually carry i was afraid it might be too small.

oh.. another thing, i do notice, even on my short ride, the difference between a grocery pannier and the knog. when i have my laptop and gear in the knog, the bike feels more balanced than it does with the grocery pannier. it's likely two things.. 1. the grocery pannier isn't really aero. it is just a square box 2. the knog has the laptop compartment close to the rack and the way the bag is shaped it sorted forces the cargo to be as close and tightly secured to the rack as you pack it.

pros n cons as always.
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

here's some pix for you so you get a sense of what i'm talking about and maybe to help you decide between grocery vs something more pannier-like.

for size reference that's a 47 atlantis w/ 26" wheels.

though since you seem to be in college/university the arkel bug might work out better for you since it becomes a backpack. i can say that while it's nice to have the ability to carry the knog around, it's so big it's not really something i'd do for long distances.

i think.. from the back, i sorta look like a giant messenger bag with a head and stubby legs...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7250066.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	14835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7250067.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	14836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7250069.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	14837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7250068.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	14838  
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Thanks for all the suggestions/pictures Lots to think about.

I'm a PhD student, so I need to have the ability to carry a bag with me off the bike. Even if I could just toss my normal bag in one of the panniers and make sure it was waterproof, that would be fine. I just have to be able to take my work bag with me.

ETA: Thanks for putting the CM's on that bike. It looked small. I've had a 48, a 50, and a 47 (current bike), so my bikes will never be much bigger than that. Good to know what it looks like!
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

For anyone interested: I got a great deal on an Axiom Town and Country Pannier for the other side of my bike or for grocery runs (the grocery store is like right next to my new place. I doubt I will use the car for this). I am still looking for commuter bags, but now I have some great ideas thanks to you guys. This will hold my stuff that doesn't need to be waterproofed or could be put in a plastic bag. Still looking for a laptop friendly bag, but it will come in time. Until then, I will just use my old messenger bag.

I also tricked out my rack with turquoise sparkles to match my bike. It needed some Rustoleum sparkles, you know?

Owned by:

Approval of the Ortiel panniers

I love my Orteil back panniers.
    I picked them up used on eBay for $135 for the pair.
    commuter: a Giant Sedona '97
    road: Giant OCR c3 '08 | 105/Ultegra
    lusting a Sweet Pea A-line for when DH sweeps me out to sea

I am keeping out a look for something waterproof for the other side of my bike currently, but all looks to be well for now with the Axiom. I got it today and it looks fine. I just moved into my new place and haven't tried it out but I plan to tomorrow. I need to go into town for internet because I am having to use my phone to tether. We don't get internet until Monday really. My computer actually fits in it fine and it seems big enough for work commutes for now. It will get me through. I went to the bike shop, but nothing really has tickled my fancy. I'm going to keep looking for sales, I guess. Everything there was not right and it's too much to spend on something that just isn't perfect.

Owned by: