Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Chris King Gourmet Century

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is anyone else doing this ride in Portland next weekend? We did it two years ago, but had to take last year off due to my husband's broken knee. Chefs from some of my favorite local restaurants are preparing the food for the rest stops. The route looks stellar and the food will be amazing! I can't wait!

http://chrisking.com/company/events_gc_mmddyy

would love to do this one day. how do you get notified that reg is open for this?
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

That's a good question actually. The first time we did it, I found out about it from a friend, and now I think we're on their mailing list. And the same friend is super in-the-loop and reminded me this year to sign up early before it closed. I'd try emailing building@chrisking.com and asking if they have a contact list so you can get notification next year!

Some of the staff did a pre-ride of the course this weekend and there's a cool blog post up with pictures. Fun fun fun! Doing 70 miles in one go is going to be a stretch for me - I haven't done more than 45 in one ride in awhile, but I did do two 30 mile rides last Thursday (morning and evening) so hopefully I'll be ok. At least there are plenty of rest stops and chances to recover. And it's not too hilly of a route other than at the beginning and end.

I am doing the ride on Saturday - I too am feeling some trepidation regarding the distance, haven't logged enough mileage to feel comfortable with a 70 miles!

My riding partner had an accident recently, so I am riding solo. Hopefully I can find some people to ride with to keep me motivated.

Looks like the weather is going to be fantastic!
    Last edited by sznn; 07-25-2012 at 12:37 PM.

When we did it two years ago, we met a ton of awesome people - everyone was super friendly, so I imagine you'll have no problem finding riding buddies! I'll either have my Ladies Auxiliary kit on (http://www.sweetpeabicycles.com/abou...auxiliary-kit/ - this is the skinsuit but it looks just like the regular kit) or a red Rapha jersey, and I'll be on a dark green Torelli. Be sure to say hi

I will look for you J.
    Come say 'Hi' if you see me first - I will be in either a Twinsix or Castelli black jersey and ride a red/black Specialized.
    Really looking forward to this ride - might be a bit of a struggle towards the end, but the anticipation of a gourmet dinner should help push me along!
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by sznn View Post
    I will look for you J.
    Come say 'Hi' if you see me first - I will be in either a Twinsix or Castelli black jersey and ride a red/black Specialized.
    Really looking forward to this ride - might be a bit of a struggle towards the end, but the anticipation of a gourmet dinner should help push me along!
    Susan
    Will do! And yes, the gourmet food all along the way will get us through! Now getting home *after* the dinner will be a feat - we're biking to the start/finish so I can leave the car for the babysitter. I suppose if I'm really done for, I can have Mac bike home and come back and fetch me in the car

Wow - how ambitious!
    I am cabbing from Kennedy School Hotel, no extra mileage for me.
    I did 35miles yesterday and tried to image doing another 35 while having my après ride beer...just couldn't imagine it.
    Packing some Advil - just in case.

Glad I actually did spot you on the road, I'm only sad it was on the Old Germantown climb so I didn't get to chat. I couldn't stop or I would've never ever gotten going again. And then once we were done, I didn't have your bike/jersey combo to look for to recognize you at the dinner. Drat!

Hope you had a good ride! That was *hard* in spots. I sort of overdid it the first half before lunch, hanging with some fast friends of my husband. I was doing ok, but realized the pace was not sustainable and we bailed on them for the 2nd half. It was a beautiful day though, and I really enjoyed riding on a lot of those rodes I've heard of but never actually ridden on. I'll search out parts of that route again for sure.

I was great that we ran into each other on Saturday. I was riding with a group until that last leg, very glad i didn't have to keep up with anyone on that hill.

Great ride - fantastic food, just got home today and I have a major food hangover.

I think my 35 mile ride this w/e will seem like a breeze!

Maybe we will see you next year - happy riding.
    S

I was great that we ran into each other on Saturday. I was riding with a group until that last leg, very glad i didn't have to keep up with anyone on that hill.

Great ride - fantastic food, just got home today and I have a major food hangover.

I think my 35 mile ride this w/e will seem like a breeze!

Maybe we will see you next year - happy riding.
    S
    That hill kills me on the best of days. But especially with a belly full of salami and 60 miles in my legs already. *sigh* I managed to keep going though, I focused on my freshly painted nails and thought of my friend Heidi Swift riding the Reve Tour (she always has a nice bright manicure before cyclocross races) and kept the pedals turning. And swore quietly a lot.

Glad you made it home safely, and yes, next year for sure! It's definitely one I hope to make an annual tradition.

Do you know the total distance of the ride?
    I forgot to restart my Garmin a few times and missing a few km's -must have been too busy digesting my snacks

Do you know the total distance of the ride?
    I forgot to restart my Garmin a few times and missing a few km's -must have been too busy digesting my snacks
    According to the cue sheet it was 69.01 miles. I didn't restart my computer when we got to the start, and I know we biked almost exactly 5 miles to get there. My computer showed just shy of 80 by the time we were getting close to home so that's about right.

We did a few extra laps around the rose garden near our house so it would be an even 80