Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How to get started/learn to MTB?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi! I have a mountain bike which I used for casual trail rides in the past. I just relocated to beautiful Southern Arizona! I would like to learn how to mountain bike. On some regional mtb web- site postings I saw that I just missed a series of MTB 101 classes. But, I can't seem to find any upcoming training opportunities. Does anyone know of any nearby workshops, course series or have other suggestions? Someone I met recently, just told me about a mtb beginners loop to ride . But, I'm not sure if its a good idea to go by myself --you know -what if I take the wrong loop there and get lost in the desert !!?!

Thanks.

How far south are you? Someone posted here back in January about women's mtb rides near Phoenix. It's not clear whether the rides are still going on but you could contact the poster for more info.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

There is a Betterride clinic in Sedona in November and one in Phoenix in December. You might post your question on MTBR.com's Arizon subforum to see if anyone there knows of other clinics or programs in or near your area. Or you might seek out a local coach for a private lesson or two.

I really do recommend a clinic or lesson as the way to start. Some people can pick it up intuitively I suppose, but I benefited from some basic instruction. There are some books on the market and some resources on the Web, too.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Are you in Tucson? Tucson has some great bike shops, you might check with them for beginner rides.
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

There are some great getting started videos on youtube ( try Free Ride Fundamentals, the pricipals are the same for any kind of mountain biking)
    Books : Mastering MTB Skills by Lopes/McCormack and the one by Ned Overend

for starters.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I second the recommendation to find a clinic if at all possible. If it is in your budget you can also find a certified coach to give you a one-on-one session. I did this last year after I attended a clinic and found it quite helpful. I hope to do the same later this season, but time will tell.

Welcome to TE!

I'm partial to this video:

http://wildflowermtb.com/

and not just because I'm in it. It has some good skill drills.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Where about in So. AZ? In the Tucson area there are lots of good instructors and clubs.

Have you ever ridden in desert trails? If you are not familiar with riding on desert trails, I suggest you first go out with someone who is experienced. It's not to scare you, just familiarize yourself with the lanscape.

Many thanks to everyone for the variety of suggestion! To those of you who wondered where in SA, I am in Tucson. Phoenix is about 2 hours away. I'll try to research some of the leads. If anyone has further info to add given that I live in Tucson, feel free to share.

I'm probably going to try to find a workshop clinic or maybe do private lessons or both if I can find someone local. The workshop/clinics I'm willing to travel for. The other resources such as videos/books are also good but I'm going to get into those after I at least have one in person lesson/experience in some kind of form.

Desert Tortoise-no I have not ridden desert trails. I just know I'll need a hydration though. I heard about Bunny loop at Fantasy Island but I'm not comfortable to go by myself.

I second heading over to the MTBR regional forum. That's the best way I know of to key into the local scene anywhere.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    I second heading over to the MTBR regional forum. That's the best way I know of to key into the local scene anywhere.
    Yes, this is a good resource! I don't post there very often but I do read it. Also, check to see if you have a regional or local mountain bike association that might have an internet forum. Something like that is a valuable resource.

Yea! Fantasy Island! It's a ridiculous amount of fun. Also, check this out http://www.tucsonmtb.com/modules.php...iewtopic&t=397 It's a Saturday girl's ride. Enjoy!
    Last edited by katherine; 07-24-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

Yes, Fantasy Island is fun and has a good beginners trail. If I remember right, it's nice and wide. Good for learning and not rolling into cacti. Take tweezers with you just in case.

A really good instructor is Martha at FatTireFinesse. Her website is under construction right now but her contact info is there. She's a big part of Tucson cycling. She's been featured on KVOA's News 2 Wheelin' a couple of times if you want to check out some of her work.

I don't know if she's holding classes right now but I wouldn't be surprised if something comes up soon. I got to learn some mtn bike skills from her but then once pregnant mtn biking was put on hold. Right now I'm hooked on road riding.

Good luck,
    dt