Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a Ruby Expert and have been riding the original Ultegra Wheels that came with it. Last month I did a century ride and borrowed DH Mavic ES wheels (he hurt his back so wasn't riding). Lovvvvved them so much, I decided I had to have a pair for myself. I searched CL and found a guy who was selling his bike with Mavic SL wheels. I contacted him and asked if he would be willing to sell me the wheels and I would give him my Ultegras so he could still sell his bike. He agreed, so I go the wheels for $500. He said there was about a 1000 miles on wheels, but really other than his word I couldn't tell. At the finish line of the double century we did last weekend there was a Mavic booth. The guy took a look at the wheels and said that they had very few miles on them, so I feel like I got a great deal. I absolutely love the wheels, so thumbs up from me on the Mavic Ksyirum SL's!!!

Muirenn, I have held that frame in my own little hands. It is beautiful. I knew exactly what you were refering to.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Muirenn, I have held that frame in my own little hands. It is beautiful. I knew exactly what you were refering to.
    I knew what Muirenn was referring to, too. I said I was glad Wahime weighed in because I was glad to see her give a shout out to Tom.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    That's impressive, Becky. Was it hard to do?
    Not really. For me, it requires a great deal of focus and patience. It's almost meditative, especially once I've got the wheel laced and in the stand.

This was my third or fourth wheelset, so I felt more comfortable attempting it with expensive hubs and using a lacing pattern (2x) that I hadn't tried before. I use Roger Musson's book each time and go step by step. As long as you're careful about even spoke tensions and consistently checking round vs. true. vs. dish, it's pretty straightfoward.

Props to LPH for convincing me to try to build the first wheelset! I think the next set will be for my carbon roadie: black White Industries hubs, double-butted spokes, and black Aeroheads or A23s. I might even radially-lace the front wheel! Indy, how did Ron lace your 20/24 set?
    Last edited by Becky; 07-23-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Actually Troy Ligero built my wheels. I don't even know if he's still building these days. Mine are laced 2x front and 3x driveside, 2x nondriveside rear.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Actually Troy Ligero built my wheels. I don't even know if he's still building these days. Mine are laced 2x front and 3x driveside, 2x nondriveside rear.
    Oops, that's what I get for not reading more closely!

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Oops, that's what I get for not reading more closely!
    No worries. I didn't mention who built my wheels in my original post because Troy's business went through some ups and down and some changes after he built my wheels. I could be wrong, I think he eventually started building wheels only with his own proprietary parts. He also got really overwhelmed with orders and was criticized repeatedly on some other forums. I never had a problem with him though....

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I don't need a really aerodynamic wheel. I am looking for lighter ones. Of course, anything would be an upgrade from my current wheels (the stock ones). I'm not regularly going fast enough for aerodynamic wheels to make a difference. I realize that I'll have to compromise performance and comfort.

I hear this all the time. I'm not sure what physics book people are using.
    If it's the physics of cheaper is better, I can understand.
    But I don't think you can say you want to upgrade performance without exploring an aero wheel.
    Even if you do average 12mph. ( a dubious arbitrary # anyway..)
    Given that almost all the work (70%) you're doing is getting through the wind and that the newest versions of top end aero wheels do not suffer from the same control issues of their older cousins. One shouldn't discount the option.

I run 25mm tires on Zipp Firecrest wheels. It's the fastest, most comfortable setup I've ever had.

Seajay: if I may ask a question... I live in a very windy area (10-15mph winds are not unusual; surges to more than 20mph are relatively common) and I would not be the type to be swapping wheelsets depending on conditions. That has been my rationale to stay away from aero wheels. Am I off base?

Thanks for posting this! I'm still getting the knack of truing wheels, but you've encouraged me to make the leap once I feel like I've really got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Not really. For me, it requires a great deal of focus and patience. It's almost meditative, especially once I've got the wheel laced and in the stand.

This was my third or fourth wheelset, so I felt more comfortable attempting it with expensive hubs and using a lacing pattern (2x) that I hadn't tried before. I use Roger Musson's book each time and go step by step. As long as you're careful about even spoke tensions and consistently checking round vs. true. vs. dish, it's pretty straightfoward.

Props to LPH for convincing me to try to build the first wheelset! I think the next set will be for my carbon roadie: black White Industries hubs, double-butted spokes, and black Aeroheads or A23s. I might even radially-lace the front wheel! Indy, how did Ron lace your 20/24 set?

Quote Originally Posted by geaux View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I'm still getting the knack of truing wheels, but you've encouraged me to make the leap once I feel like I've really got it.
    Geaux, I highly recommend Roger's book even for wheel truing. I learned some things from it that have made my truing more efficient and effective, and gave me the confidence to tackle my first build.

You can do this!

Quote Originally Posted by geaux View Post
    When Tom is building wheels, he is extremely focused and methodical. In fact he often can't have a conversation with me during parts of the truing process because talking would be too distracting. And he builds at least 2 wheelsets a week. He also says that anyone that has patience and attention to detail can build a wheelset. It just takes practice and focus. He thinks that women are actually better at it than most men because in general he thinks that women pay more attention to details and are more methodical.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
    I don't need a really aerodynamic wheel. I am looking for lighter ones. Of course, anything would be an upgrade from my current wheels (the stock ones). I'm not regularly going fast enough for aerodynamic wheels to make a difference. I realize that I'll have to compromise performance and comfort.

I hear this all the time. I'm not sure what physics book people are using.
    If it's the physics of cheaper is better, I can understand.
    But I don't think you can say you want to upgrade performance without exploring an aero wheel.
    Even if you do average 12mph. ( a dubious arbitrary # anyway..)
    Given that almost all the work (70%) you're doing is getting through the wind and that the newest versions of top end aero wheels do not suffer from the same control issues of their older cousins. One shouldn't discount the option.

I run 25mm tires on Zipp Firecrest wheels. It's the fastest, most comfortable setup I've ever had.
    DBF says that he never felt any benefit from aero wheels over a simply lighter wheel until he hit about 18mph+. Given that there are a whole bunch of factors there, well...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I tend to agree that aero wheels don't seem to make much of a difference until you're hitting 17 or more mph. I don't use them here at all because they are a pain in the arse in a wind unless it's perfectly head on. Otherwise the gusts throw you around like you wouldn't believe. Not a good feeling, especially when descending.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I have Easton EA90 SLX wheels. Hubby picked them out as a present for a birthday or Christmas or something I think. He chose them for their low weight and good for climbing, something I need all the help I can get with.

Here's a description: Developed as the ultimate low weight wheel for Easton's sponsored athletes, the Easton EC90 SLX is a sub-1200 gram carbon wheelset prized for amazing climbing legs and smooth, dependable braking surface. Feathery, 24-mm deep Easton carbon rims enhance acceleration and offer precision braking and outstanding durability. R4 SL hubs feature alloy axles, axle caps and cassette bodies to shave 36-grams of rotating weight and have ceramic bearings for a smooth ride. Sapim double-butted spokes and alloy nipples cut weight without sacrificing durability. Entirely hand-built and acoustically tuned in Easton's own factory.

My husband, who is an amazing climber, but wanted more of an edge on the flat chose a different set of Eastons. Don't know the model, but could find out.

Figure out if there's something specific you want to get out of a wheel set and try to find one to accommodate. For me it was climbing, for hubby fast on the flat. Who knew there was so much to think about when choosing a wheel?

Whatever you do, you may be able to find a deal on Ebay or something. There are amazing deals to be had on bike components if you look and are maybe a bit patient.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra