Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym vs Cycling

Gym vs Cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Cycling wins, every time! However, today's weather was pretty grim looking, so I decided to go to the gym instead. I haven't been there in ages, but keep my membership since it's only $10/month.

I did the elliptical for a while, and then the recumbent bike. (I find their regular upright bikes very uncomfortable.)

I left feeling very unsatisfied...like I hadn't really pushed myself the way I do on a long weekend ride.

What exercise/equipment do you use when you can't get on the bike?

I do elliptical and weights (mostly functional exercises) usually. I gauge the elliptical by heart rate. Sometimes I swim (depending on how crowded things are).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I take a boot camp/functional fitness training class twice a week. Otherwise, I'm outside.
    In the dead of winter, I might take a spin class or go to yoga class. I decide between spin class or my own bike on the trainer at home by the needs of my schedule. I also have a treadmill at home, so no need for the gym there. I'm also outside most of the time in the winter, whether it's snow shoeing, nordic skiing, or running.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I take a functional fitness/metabolic training class twice a week all year, if the weather is bad I will work out on my own for a third session during the week or take a Bosu class.

In the winter I will use my bike trainer at home, but I don't use the cardio equipment at the gym. I am just not a fan of machines - and I ride outside in the winter as often as the weather will allow. I plan to do a bit more walking/jogging at the gym this winter as my body allows. Cold air is an asthma trigger for me so I have to be careful.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-21-2012 at 02:44 PM.

I'll run in just about anything, as long as it's not super icy. I've even biked as cold as 18º with a bit of snow and ice and slop with studded tires. But most of my Winter rides have been on the indoor trainer. I definitely don't push myself hard unless I'm doing a Sufferfest workout.

This Winter I hope to have a mountain bike with disc brakes. I assume I can get studded tires for that. I'd ride my CX bike in the Winter, more, but I do NOT like the almost complete lack of braking ability once my rims ice up. With disc brakes that wouldn't be an issue.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

ROW!!!! it will kick your tail and uses the opposing muscle groups from cycling (:

I'm a gym rat...always have been, always will be. My riding days are Sat, Sun, & Mon. The rest of the week, I'm at the gym doing cardio and weights. At the gym, I use the Stairmaster, treadmill, 2 kinds of elliptical machines, and 2 kinds of stationary upright bikes. I also take a spin class 1x a week (I'd do more, but I don't care for any of the other instructors). And on Fridays, I swim laps at a local outdoor pool in the summer months (I loathe swimming in indoor pools!).

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I hate the gym. I get bored easily.

If I can't ride, I hit the trainer, but not so much in summer. I do some yoga and I should consider adding other stuff.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

stair mill (the one that's like a mini escalator that you have to keep up with)--either long and steady or intervals for a shorter time. ouch
    2003 Trek 7500FX/standard saddle
    2006 Trek Pilot 2.1/Serfas cutout saddle

I run inside and out during from late fall to early spring. I also have a home spin bike. I have practiced yoga for about 6 years and do resistance and core work with a trainer twice each week. I love to ride, but I tend to think that it needs to be balanced out with other activities. There are a number of muscle groups that get underworked or not worked at all on the bike. Plus, it's not weight bearing. Cycling just doesn't check all the necessary boxes for me, nor does just cardio.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen View Post
    stair mill (the one that's like a mini escalator that you have to keep up with)--either long and steady or intervals for a shorter time. ouch
    +1

I'm a bit of a gym rat also & regularly visit to lift weights. That way, when the weather is nasty, I'm not feeling out of my element in the gym.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

It continues to amaze me that there a number of people at the gym who think exercise is something you do at the gym and would never, ever go outside for any activity. I've worked at and belonged to probably 6-7 gyms in 2 states as an adult, and it's been the same at all of them. I've actually had some (all women) tell me don't like getting sweaty outside, or that something outside (like wind, dirt, bugs) is too "gross" for them. It's good they are exercising, but it's like people have forgotten what's real.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Cycling just doesn't check all the necessary boxes for me, nor does just cardio.
    +1. For me, it's yoga once a week, swimming once a week, year-round, in addition to cycling. During the winter, I'll add a weights class and add more swimming or yoga as needed. I'd like to attempt running again, but I'm not sure where I'll fit it in.

I, too, participate in functional fitness classes twice a week in addition to my summer riding. I began taking fitness classes last January to help rehab weak muscles after breaking my ankle. I've been amazed at how the fitness classes have contributed to my riding. For instance, my mountain biking benefits from a strong core and upper body strength but riding does little to build these muscles. I'm riding better than ever after 7 months of fitness classes.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    It continues to amaze me that there a number of people at the gym who think exercise is something you do at the gym and would never, ever go outside for any activity. I've worked at and belonged to probably 6-7 gyms in 2 states as an adult, and it's been the same at all of them. I've actually had some (all women) tell me don't like getting sweaty outside, or that something outside (like wind, dirt, bugs) is too "gross" for them. It's good they are exercising, but it's like people have forgotten what's real.
    This used to be me...that is, until I found cycling