Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gym vs Cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    It continues to amaze me that there a number of people at the gym who think exercise is something you do at the gym and would never, ever go outside for any activity. I've worked at and belonged to probably 6-7 gyms in 2 states as an adult, and it's been the same at all of them. I've actually had some (all women) tell me don't like getting sweaty outside, or that something outside (like wind, dirt, bugs) is too "gross" for them. It's good they are exercising, but it's like people have forgotten what's real.
    I'm amazed by the people who run on treadmills year-round, regardless of weather. The only time I've run much on a TM was for 1 Winter when we had record snow and an ice storm that left most of my running routes unusable for weeks on end (since they don't plow/salt/sand some of the more rural roads much at all). Otherwise I wouldn't use the "dreadmill" if you paid me to do so.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Not a fan of the dreadmill, but doing C25K in Vibrams and want to really watch my pace and work on form. It's torture, but I'm hoping it pays off in the long run (pun intended ). Running in Vibrams makes my lower back & knees happy since I can't pound down on my heel. I listen to Buddhist podcasts & concentrating on the philosophy helps make the dreadmill less of a dread.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I'm amazed by the people who run on treadmills year-round, regardless of weather. The only time I've run much on a TM was for 1 Winter when we had record snow and an ice storm that left most of my running routes unusable for weeks on end (since they don't plow/salt/sand some of the more rural roads much at all). Otherwise I wouldn't use the "dreadmill" if you paid me to do so.
    While I'm not a huge fan of running on the treadmill, it's about the only option I have if I want to run at all these days. With my chronic lower back issues, I really shouldn't be running...but I do...just not on the pavement because it hurts my back way too much. For the low amount of running that I do (3x a week, 2-3 miles per run with short walking breaks thrown in) I can tolerate the dreadmill.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    It continues to amaze me that there a number of people at the gym who think exercise is something you do at the gym and would never, ever go outside for any activity. I've worked at and belonged to probably 6-7 gyms in 2 states as an adult, and it's been the same at all of them. I've actually had some (all women) tell me don't like getting sweaty outside, or that something outside (like wind, dirt, bugs) is too "gross" for them. It's good they are exercising, but it's like people have forgotten what's real.
    I thought about your comment a bit last night. For me--and I am only speaking for myself--I don't do outdoor activities just to exercise. The time I spend outdoors feeds other emotional and spiritual needs that go beyond mere fitness. I don't mind working out indoors and I think my yoga practice also serves other non-fitness needs, but I get a huge benefit from experiencing nature and being engaged in the natural world that I don't think I could ever get from a treadmill.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    While I'm not a huge fan of running on the treadmill, it's about the only option I have if I want to run at all these days. With my chronic lower back issues, I really shouldn't be running...but I do...just not on the pavement because it hurts my back way too much. For the low amount of running that I do (3x a week, 2-3 miles per run with short walking breaks thrown in) I can tolerate the dreadmill.
    There are definitely reasons when the TM is the best possible option. Avoiding bugs and reasonable weather wouldn't be one of mine. Plus it gives me vertigo when I get off (my sister has this issue, too)!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Indy, I feel the same way, actually. Being outdoors riding or running, or doing winter stuff fills my need to be in nature and my need to exercise. That's why if I am short on time, I would rather walk the 2.2 mile loop in my neighborhood, where I can see nature and get my HR up going up the hill. In fact, I originally started mountain biking because I love being in the woods, since I was a kid, in fact. But, the actual mountain biking part didn't work out so well for me, so now hiking is my alternate activity in the woods, during warmer weather.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I kind of like going between the gym to nature and back again. I need to be out in nature to connect to the world around me - but I tend to do those things solo. The gym rat half of me enjoys going for the range of activities and the challenges of group training, but I couldn't limit myself to indoor activities outside of recovering from something that keeps me off the bike. I need that outdoor connection.

I must admit that I am starting to get frustrated with the rate at which I seem to injure myself mountain biking, I can't seem to stay on it long enough to progress before injuring myself again I can't be the only one in this situation however, and I was warned this would likely happen before I improved. When it works it is so sweet though, just to be able to shut off everything outside of me, my connection to the bike and the woods around me. Hiking just isn't the same! As much I as I like riding the road, that isn't quite the same either...
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-23-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Honestly I hate gyms. I've had memberships a couple of times but I just don't like being there so I just gave it up. If I did still have one & felt like I needed to go there for some exercise, I'd probably just swim.

Neither will give you the results you want. Eating better will. As much as 75% of weight loss is at the dinner table not at the gym or on a bike.

I love cycling because I don't only train my body but also get closer to the nature. That's the reason why i like riding along countryside.
    My work is sometimes kinda stressful and i couldn't have much time for riding, i go to gym.
    Last edited by Lindacan; 09-06-2016 at 01:50 AM.

I love gym "environment" as much as I like the outdoor. I have my own gym at home and use it in the "dead" season. I am not allowed to run outside (knee and ankle issues) and feel safer and in control on my treadmill. My weeknights are too packed to have the "luxury" of going out too long and Montreal weather can get nasty more often than not in the winter season. So my home gym is my little paradise. I have a "personal" trainer who plans my workouts so I do my exercises the right and most efficient way.

I could cycle indoor more than on the road if it was only up to me. I find I push myself way harder and it is safer (no falls, no squirrels or dogs crossing, no fear). I love my home gym. But I am so well equipped there that it is a pleasure to work out.

I'm starting yoga classes next Monday but only for a session as I need to get back into my stretching/strengthening before hitting my gym and the hard training after my tibial plateau fracture of last winter.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike