Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Photoshop vs Aperature

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am taking the dive into opening a photography business with a niche in pet photography! So, do I go Mac or PC? Then there is the choice of Aperature or photoshop.

Any advice would be super helpful.

Thanks!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

I think perhaps you mean Lightroom vs Aperature?

Photoshop is photo editing / graphics software

Lightroom and Aperature (I believe, I don't use either of them) are for cataloging, categorizing, and organizing, though they have some simple editing capabilities.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

LOL, Lisa, I think you are following me around. But, I don't really do "pet" I do dog sports.
    Anyway....
    I've recently got a new MacBook Pro with retina display. It looks good, it's a nice size and its sturdy.
    I've gone with Bibble - I hate Adobe and avoid it. Bibble is slightly more powerful than Lightroom and no where near photoshop. But, I don't use photoshop, I don't want to "fiddle" with my photos that much. Bibble is quicker and has a better interface. I did just buy the Corel version and I'm happy with it thus far.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Thanks, yes, now I understand that Lightroom is on par with Aperture.

Bibble sounds interesting. Gimp 2.8 is getting a lot of kudos.

But don't count aperture out. Yes, many admit that it was designed to work in tandem with photoshop. Check these reviews out.

The tutorial on lynda.com says that 90% of your editing can be done on Aperture. Photoshop is clearly the gold standard, but pro level pictures can be created from Aperture.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UAuJx2t5mSN

http://download.cnet.com/Apple-Apert...?tag=mncol;txt

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by itself; 07-21-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

We have photoshop. Basically Photoshop is for editing, resizing ect photos. I use it mostly for work. As a merchandiser I'm required at time to take pictures and enter them in the report. Many times I need to resize them (make them smaller, lower resolution, lower MB) to get them to upload to the site and for me Photoshop is the easiest program to use for that.

I use a combination of Lightroom and photoshop. I have aperture, just never got into it. Lightroom is good for batch editing and basic post-production that you would do with event work or a studio shoot...working with a large number of photos with similar lighting/settings can be quickly corrected, then individual edits, tweaks, crops, effects all can be applied. Lightroom is also non-destructive editing, which means there are no final mistakes.

I use photoshop to correct specific post issues, like blemishes, unwanted people, drop out backgrounds, layered gifs for web purposes, and mostly to prepare things for web viewing in the web-design portion of my work. Photoshop is destructive editing, unless you save each iteration as a new file.

Aperture works much like Lightroom, but I don't find the workflow to be as intuitive as Lightroom. Also, the number of amazing effects you can get from free or purchased plug-ins for Lightroom are really great for getting that image "just so", often saving a not-so-great candid shot with strong elements.
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

Thanks Chatnoire.

I am taking photo tutorials on lynda.com on both photoshop CS6 and Aperture. Great website, and as the learning curve for photoshop is big, this site is amazing.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

I've not used Lightroom - but it sounds a lot like Bridge, which was included with Photoshop, though I'm guessing it has some extended capabilities.

I use Bridge to open and correct raw files. It has some basic editing - you can adjust color balance and levels, crop and probably some other stuff I've never tried. It allows batching too and is non-destructive. One of my colleagues uses it to make contact sheets and says it's easier than using the batch function in Photoshop.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I'm no pro. I'm a hobbyist, but I use Lightroom for simple adjustments that I may have to make. I have very little in the way of lighting equiptment, so sometimes things need to be corrected or sometimes I just want to play around with things. If I do a client shoot, this is by far the easiest way to adjust a whole bunch of things quickly without losing the original shot.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog