Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike Build Project: need advice.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'd like to learn how to build up a bike. For quite awhile now, I've wanted to take all the components on my ill-fitting C'dale and transfer them to a Soma. I'm picking up my new roadie next week, and instead of selling the old, I think I'd get the best value out of keeping as much of the bike as I can.

The first issue is, which one? Honestly, everytime I test a bike, I fall in love with it. Two wheels are good. I do picture something that could serve as either a back-up road bike, or a do everything bike. But it doesn't have to be both.

I think I should choose the frameset that:
    One: fits (obviously) and Two: works the best with my current group. This way, I spend the least.

My bike has a 105 drivetrain and brakes. Ultegra Flight-Deck shifters/levers. 700c wheels. The usual for a road bike. The wheels are by Xero. Pretty sturdy.

I like the Soma Smoothie (roadie). The Soma Buena Vista (mixte). The Soma Saga (touring bike, would need 26" wheels), perhaps one of the Cross bikes. (I assume I'd need a sturdier drivetrain, something suitable for mountain bikes. So perhaps that's out, but would love one). Hmm. I can see an argument for getting a lot of these Somas.

Definitely going with a Brooks saddle. Perfect on steel framesets. At least, to me they are.

All would have drop bars since that's the easiest with my current brake system.

Thoughts? No rush. Just in the early planning stage. Great bonus to get a steel bike for the cost of the frameset and a few small parts. And this way, I'd learn a lot more about bikes.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 07-20-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

The Smoothly looks nice, I've seen a few in person, but I covet the Buena Vista. I chose the Double Cross for the disc brake and rack braze-ons, but every time I ride to the store I think how nice it would be to have on a skirt, and to easily dismount with panniers. The DC is great in rain and snow, though.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I covet all of them.

I've actually ridden my roadie in a skirt. Not far, but I did it.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

If you can buy it in a frameset (and I think you can), I'd look at the Salsa Casseroll. So pretty.....
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    For quite awhile now, I've wanted to take all the components on my ill-fitting C'dale and transfer them to a Soma.

I think I should choose the frameset that:
    One: fits (obviously) and Two: works the best with my current group. This way, I spend the least.

My bike has a 105 drivetrain and brakes.

I like the Soma Smoothie (roadie).
    FYI, the Smoothie is the only Soma frame that takes regular road group brakes. All their other frames require long reach calipers. Also, the Soma sizing is kind of strange - the different sizes don't vary smoothly.
    Laura

I won A Double Cross and absolutely love it!! I could easily ride this a everyday road bike, although obviously a bit heavier than what I already own. However, it's a bike that you can do just about anything with... so depending on your chopice for the day... daily rids, commute, dirt roads...

AS for sizing, it's definitely something that you can work, if you choose to. The great thing about being different is that it tends to make us 'think' about what we want for components and the riding we intend to do. IF everything fit the same, then life would be pretty boring and there would only need to be one brand of bikes!

Have fun deciding what you'd like to do!!

Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    FYI, the Smoothie is the only Soma frame that takes regular road group brakes. All their other frames require long reach calipers. Also, the Soma sizing is kind of strange - the different sizes don't vary smoothly.
    Okay, just looked it up. Not sure what kind mine are, but brakes aren't too expensive. They actually may be long-reach.

Would the parts for a cross frame be so different that it would be very expensive? Or could I use most of my components? I do like the idea of a cross-frame. I actually considered getting a cross bike when I got my current setup, because you can go off-road so easily.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 07-21-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    If you can buy it in a frameset (and I think you can), I'd look at the Salsa Casseroll. So pretty.....
    You're right! It is!

It's so much easier to have just one choice.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

So Muirenn - did you end up building up a Soma? How did it go?

I'm thinking about starting with the Buena Vista and building it up to be my commuter/around-town bike. I'm a bit overwhelmed just thinking about it, though!

Does anyone know if there is a checklist anywhere of all the pieces one would need to buy/have on hand to build up a bike? I could inventory one of my existing bikes of course, but if a list already exists, that would be handy.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Give me a day and I will work on one for you
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com