Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hebe, 2 words describe your mixte: DROOL FUEL!!

Simply gorgeous. Congratulations :-)

Here she is with her super cute new backside too The Brooks is fantastic, I just don't notice the saddle at all and happily ride in jeans or summer dresses with no discomfort. I am going to get a mobile mechanic to check the bike build over, as the handlebars suddenly rotated towards me on a ride yesterday. The bike itself is fine, but I do have my doubts about how well it's been put together in the shop. Or she might just have suffered from being the display model. Their wrench isn't in until Thursday, so I'll treat Minnie to a proper once over and sort out a couple of minor niggles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000534.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	15315
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Hello again well the small girl is now 11 and completely in love with her own bike. I had surgery earlier this year and am keen to ride again, with the girl. I am considering getting a bit of an overhaul for Minnie the Mixte. The rear brake is still rubbish, I’d like grippier tyres, I want to replace the grips for cork or leather ones, change the pedals for metal ones, take off the basket and put a rack on the back instead, remove the plastic chain guard and put a chrome one on instead. The bike has always felt as if everything except the frame was done on a budget. It’s a Dawes Cambridge Mixte with a steel frame, but that frame makes my heart sing. I’m just trying to get my head around spending as much on upgrades as the bike originally cost (£230 seven years ago...) but there’s nothing off the shelf for the same total cost that is exactly what I want. I’m fed up with not riding, and the Vita is not an errand bike.

Anyway, hello ��

Welcome back. This is so much fun when you love the frame but hate or dissatisfied with everything else.

In my mind building up a customized bike is every bit as fantastic as going full custom. Enjoy the ride.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Thank you Trek �� I was starting to wonder if I was planning on throwing good money after bad. I just know that that mixte is never leaving, so it might as well be as good as it can be. I’ll keep you updated.

How are you?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Thank you Trek �� I was starting to wonder if I was planning on throwing good money after bad. I just know that that mixte is never leaving, so it might as well be as good as it can be. I’ll keep you updated.
    Most of our bikes are refurbed, rebuilt. I can find the threads about them here. Most of what I know about bikes was learned over the process. My late Trek 420 and namesake was completely customized. A GT Outpost trail I used to have. Love to follow along on your process.

And you can always post it here; http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...=19205&page=65

How are you?
    I’m tired. Really tired. Tired and relieved.

Knott was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer last October. I quit my job (which is good. Hated the job), took retirement, cared for her through chemo and surgery. She’s now NED. Means No Evidence of Disease Which is amazing, really. But I’m seriously De-contitioned.

Watch this space as I attempt to make a comeback.
    Last edited by Trek420; 08-22-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

That sounds like a rollercoaster of a year. I'm glad you were able to take the time to support Knott, and how wonderful for you both that she is now NED! All the very best to you both. Good luck with your comeback, I'll be watching and encouraging you from this side of the pond.

I had a hysterectomy in January after several years of wretchedness. Now that I am largely recovered I really want to start enjoying my bikes again. Just need the mechanic to come back from his holiday or wherever he's gone so I can crack on with my plans!

hebe….Your dawes is a wonderful and practical day-to-day steel utility bike frame! I see component upgrades as just part of the process of getting to what feels comfortable, safe and working for a persons needs. Enjoy getting back into riding!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    She’s now NED..
    that REALLY makes me smile
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Thank you Rebecca!

The bikes came back from servicing today and the Dawes is in better shape than when it was new - honestly. Brakes are much improved (actually effective), the handlebar is correctly aligned for me both vertically and horizontally, both wheel hubs have had some kind of alchemy invoked to make the spinning better and so on. It almost seems to ride itself and the basket doesn't feel as if it's even there any more. I didn't swap the tyres as it's an archaic wheel size (26 and a weird fraction inches) so there's barely any choice. Also, with the rest of the improvements (and correct pressure) the tyres felt much more secure. I'll ride it as it is and see if I want to change anything else later. He really loved the bike, which I wasn't expecting at all, and it was great to see how much he cared.

The Vita is lovely too - he fitted new leather grips to match the Brooks saddle and checked it all over. It felt so odd being back on 700c wheels, I was all over the place for the first few yards! B was thrilled to have her Frog back too and followed me down the road.

Thank you Rebecca!

The bikes came back from servicing today and the Dawes is in better shape than when it was new - honestly. Brakes are much improved (actually effective), the handlebar is correctly aligned for me both vertically and horizontally, both wheel hubs have had some kind of alchemy invoked to make the spinning better and so on. It almost seems to ride itself and the basket doesn't feel as if it's even there any more. I didn't swap the tyres as it's an archaic wheel size (26 and a weird fraction inches) so there's barely any choice. Also, with the rest of the improvements (and correct pressure) the tyres felt much more secure. I'll ride it as it is and see if I want to change anything else later. He really loved the bike, which I wasn't expecting at all, and it was great to see how much he cared.

The Vita is lovely too - he fitted new leather grips to match the Brooks saddle and checked it all over. It felt so odd being back on 700c wheels, I was all over the place for the first few yards! B was thrilled to have her Frog back too and followed me down the road.
    Pictures please! Sounds lovely.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton