Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

42 and new to cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all! My name is Karen. I'm 42 and for the last 6 months I've spent my time trying to improve my health. So far I've lost 44lbs and spend time exercising most days. After 6 months I finally feel in good enough shape to buy a bike.

I'm interested in riding for fitness and socialization. I have no interest in racing and my budget is fairly small. I have an opportunity to get this bike new http://www.diamondback.com/2012-air%C3%A9n-1 for $500 and wanted some opinions.

I understand this is just a very basic bike, but I figure I could learn how to road ride and if I love it I can upgrade in the future.

That is an issue. I've tried other bikes that are the same size (48) but not that specific bike. I'm limited to buying online (due to the fact that I have an account I can charge it to with no interest for a year) or I can wait until Feb when I'll have cash and get something else.

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    That is an issue. I've tried other bikes that are the same size (48) but not that specific bike. I'm limited to buying online (due to the fact that I have an account I can charge it to with no interest for a year) or I can wait until Feb when I'll have cash and get something else.
    Welcome to TE and to your continued personal journey! Good for you for taking this on - I waited until I was 50 myself. It is an exciting and rewarding adventure to find both fitness and new activities that both engage and connect us.

Sadly, there isn't consistent sizing across bike companies, so a "size 48" in one brand can be rather different than a size 48 in another. Bike fit is very important, if it doesn't fit properly, then it will hurt and you won't ride/like it.

Do you know what your inseam is? For bike fit, that is the measurement from your crotch to the ground. What other bikes did you try in a 48? How did they feel? We could help you compare the geometry of the bikes you tried that were a size 48 with the geometry of the Diamondback to see if they are similar.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-19-2012 at 03:36 AM.

My inseam is 29. I'll go back to the shop so I can write down the specific name of the bikes I tried.

And thanks for the welcome and help! If nothing else I can read and learn from this website and then next year when I have the cash I can get a bike at the lbs.
    Last edited by thekarens; 07-19-2012 at 04:16 AM.

The two shops I went to carry Cannondale, Trek and Specialized. I'll have to ask about layaway. That would be a good option. I know it's not about being pretty, but that bike you linked to is very pretty

I just looked up dealers for Jamis bikes and there's another lbs not too far from where I live so I think I'm going to check them out. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Last edited by thekarens; 07-19-2012 at 06:15 AM.

You might ask the different LBSs what they have for financing. My Specialized dealer was offering a 6 month no interest plan last year.

I noticed that you are in Houston. When I lived there, the premier bike shop was Dan Boone Cycles down in the city. They might actually have some nice used bikes for sale there. If so, it would be worth considering them - they could help fit you and, hopefully, tune up whatever bike you choose.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaS View Post
    You might ask the different LBSs what they have for financing. My Specialized dealer was offering a 6 month no interest plan last year.

This, many LBS do offer this although they may not strongly advertise it. Many also allow for layaway as well - that is how I got my custom bike in early 2011. Layaway is nice

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to look into all of them

Houston has a boatload of LBS. If I can I'd rather use one close to my side of town, but if the right deal comes along I can and will travel.

Welcome to TE!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I think that Jamis is beautiful!

I can completely recommend the Specialized Vita, which is on the faster end of the hybrid spectrum. I'm not sure what the pricing is in dollars however. I learned to ride at 43 on a comfort bike, moved to a Vita and was just blown away by how much it changed and inspired my riding. It's not a road bike, but as Muirenn said will help you find your legs, and then when you do want a road bike as well you can just pop a rack and fenders onto the Vita and have a great utility bike too The Specialized Dolce might be an option too but I'm afraid I have no ideal on pricing.

Welcome to TE and congratulations on your weight-loss so far!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Keep it up! 44pounds lost...Wow!!!

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    Keep it up! 44pounds lost...Wow!!!

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle
    Thank you! It's been an interesting 6 months. I hope to lose another 26 in the next 6 months. My goal is to be 130, though if I were heavier, but with less than 20% body fat I'd be with with that as well.

On another note I stopped by the shop that carries the Jamis bikes. I had a mixed experience. The first clerk that helped me was clueless about almost everything and didn't offer to get me someone who could answer my questions. When I asked for someone the manager came over and he was very nice and knowledgeable.

I tried a 51 cm steel bike that I liked, but was just too tall. I would have injured some very important parts on that bike. The next size down was a white Ventura 48cm. I loved it! It was aluminum with a carbon fork and seatpost? I think he said.... For whatever reason I'm obsessed with white vehicles. I love white cars, motorcycles, bikes....

Anyway, things you don't think about as a new to cycles person....weight! The first thing he had me do was stand over the bike and pick it up to see how much room I had. I was shocked at how light it was. That was the first time I've ever actually picked up a road bike. All my bike experiences have been with Walmart bikes and they weigh a ton so I guess in the back of my mind I was thinking it would be heavy.

They did have some flat bar bikes there as well that were nice. All their 2011 models were on sale. If they had the steel in a smaller size I would have been seriously tempted. It had been reduced to $560.
    Last edited by thekarens; 07-19-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Hello Karen! I too am a 40 year old newbie on the goal to being healthy and staying fit. I've dropped 16 pounds this month alone! I initially bought my bike in 2010, spent good money on it, and didn't ride it much at all. I got back on about 3 months ago and hadn't looked back. I love riding!! I have some challenges ( Mississippi heat and humidity being the main one) but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I have a Trek Lexa WSD (women specific design). I wanted something kinda nice to learn and grow with. For me, it has been an awesome little bike to own. I get a lot of compliments on it. I'm learning to stretch that baby out too!! She has not disappointed me! When I bought my bike, Trek was offering 12 months no interest. That made it easier on the purse. Only you know what you can and can't handle.

A suggestion....if you do put that kind of money into a bike, make sure your LBS puts you on a bike fit for you. Dont get talked into getting more than you need. I travel across town, bypassing 2 other shops, because the guys I work with there take time with me and they don't make me feel stupid. They know I'm new to riding and they know my budget. As I grow with my bike, I have grown with my bike shop...everything from changing my saddle to going clipless.

I'm excited for you! Congrats on your weight loss! You'll find that every time you get on that bike, you will challenge yourself. You'll see what you are really made of!! I'm new to the TE forum ( this is my first post) and really excited to be here!! I'll be checking to see what you post. Have fun bike shopping!!!

Ride on sister....ride on!!!

Congrats on the pounds lost! I have an aluminum Trek Lexa and its a great entry level bike and I LOVE it!! The Lexa's prince range is from $730.00 to 1,430.00. I'm 39 and also a newbie!
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX