Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    I do a lot of sustained climbing and long rides. I try to sit a lot but then make a point of standing periodically, even if I don't have to to take a butt break and to change my posture. But if I'm struggling up a climb I will often count pedal strokes and I'll stand as much as 1 third of the time. Often I'll go up 2 or even 3 gears, stand for 50 pedal strokes then sit down again. It breaks up the climb in my head and allows me to change tempo and deal with fatigue.
    I don't do a lot of sustained climbs, but I will even do this on relatively short ones for a change of pace and to work different muscles. I thought I was the only one who did the counting thing.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I don't do a lot of sustained climbs, but I will even do this on relatively short ones for a change of pace and to work different muscles. I thought I was the only one who did the counting thing.
    If I am struggling, I walways revert to counting strokes. I do it running and swimming too. I think it helps me not think about how much farther I have to go and to only focus on the next 10 pedal strokes, arm strokes, strides...
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Exactly!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    I do a lot of sustained climbing and long rides. I try to sit a lot but then make a point of standing periodically, even if I don't have to to take a butt break and to change my posture. But if I'm struggling up a climb I will often count pedal strokes and I'll stand as much as 1 third of the time. Often I'll go up 2 or even 3 gears, stand for 50 pedal strokes then sit down again. It breaks up the climb in my head and allows me to change tempo and deal with fatigue.
    Holy crap, I do this too!! Ha..also glad I'm not the only one

I think momentum is huge in my decision on sitting vs. standing if it's rolling terrain. When I start the beginning of a steeper hill, I keep it in the same gear as when I was going downhill from the previous hill (or if it's coming from a flat, keep that momentum from the flat part), and then when the road tilts upward, get out of the saddle and start the counting thing (as long as the upcoming hill isn't TOO long). I count, say, 20 pedal strokes (# depends on how long the hill is), then shift a gear down and get back in the saddle and keep crankin. Then I continue to shift down as necessary, but I'm usually at least halfway up the hill by then. It has taken me practice to get this right and not burn out immediately at the bottom of a climb. I have done that many times trying this technique but when you do nail it, you get up the hill faster than you expected and it's fantastic.

With longer sustained climbs, I do as Wahine does..in and out of the saddle, alternating to give my back & butt a break.

I'm not a great hill climber by any means, but I, too, do a mix of standing and sitting. I read somewhere that if you stand and you're not super close to the top, that you should keep it to 8 to 10 seconds, then sit and spin, then do it again. I think this has to do with the amount of time it takes for your muscles to recognize lactate buildup or something (12 seconds?) so you're working at your LT but not for long enough to burn out immediately. I count pedal strokes (sometimes half pedal strokes, a number as each foot hits bottom of the stroke)

You know, I have to ask about all the people who say they just "spin up the hill". I get the theory. But there are plenty of hills where I'm in my biggest, lowest gear, and I'm still pushing barely 50 or 60 rpm and "spinning" as a perceive it is simply not even an option. There's one hard hill near my house that I ride pretty regularly - it's oly 140 feet of climb over just under a quarter mile. It feels brutally steep, but I think it works out to only being about 10.6% grade. And there are people around here talking about 26% grade?!?!
    "There are only two ways to live your life: You can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle" - Albert Einstein

2012 Cinelli Gazzetta della Strada
    2011 Scott Contessa Speedster 15
    1993 Cannondale H600
    1970s Western Flyer Cruiser

funny question. a lot of us do both. It really does feel good to power up a hill. but if the hill is a little too long and you run out of steam, you plunk right back down into that saddle
    and spin the rest of the way up.

the fitter i am, the easier standing is.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Maybe I am perpetually unfit?
    I just cannot stand. On a steep climb, I doubt I could actually get my azz up off the saddle, and on smaller ones, it just hurts my leg so much, why do it? My speed goes down, too.
    My core is strong, so I don't know what is wrong with me. Sometimes, I'd like to power up a small climb, but I'd be left in the dust, just going slower and slower.
    I get the predicament about just "spinning" up a steep climb. On the 10-20% grades I've done, or the sustained 6-8% 10 mile climb I did in Spain, I just sat and spun away. At 3 -5 mph. My cadence was probably 50-60. It's still spinning to me.
    However, I felt OK, I made it up, and I didn't walk. I guess I don't care about speed on these types of climbs, just getting up the hill.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

CRankin,
    it COULD be your bike. I remember when I switched from Bike A to Bike B (I don't remember which now) I was stunned that suddenly it was EASY to stand up!!
    and if you are doing 20% grades, you are NOT puny. I am not doing 20% grades. or even 15%.. maybe 11 or 12 sometimes. for a few feet... eeek.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    CRankin,
    it COULD be your bike. I remember when I switched from Bike A to Bike B (I don't remember which now) I was stunned that suddenly it was EASY to stand up!!
    and if you are doing 20% grades, you are NOT puny. I am not doing 20% grades. or even 15%.. maybe 11 or 12 sometimes. for a few feet... eeek.
    I'll second that it could be your bike. I've had several bikes that it was near to impossible for me to stand on a climb on, mainly because of the way my weight was distributed. In any case even on a bike that fits me I'm more of a sitting climber. I'll stand to power up short, steep hill or once in a while to stretch out my butt muscles on a long one, but for the most part I'm a seated climber.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Well, I've been like this ever since I started riding, through 4 road bikes. In fact, the first few times I went to a spin class, I couldn't even stand up there. Now, I could stand all day on a spin bike, although I don't spin much anymore.
    I can stand when my bike is on the trainer. Perhaps this has to do with my lack of balance. I always feel like I am going to fall over/crash when I stand. Both of my bikes have been fitted, one is custom and the other went through the laser/computer fitting. The custom bike has a more relaxed geometry, but both are very light weight (14.7 and 16 lbs. without the bags, rack, etc).
    I've only done very very short stretches of anything over 15% grades, mostly in Austria and the Berkshires. The 10 mile (17K) climb i did in Spain just about made me puke, but I did it; it was a cat 2 climb on the Vuelta and the markings were all over the road. I just would like to be able to power up a hill for awhile, like my DH does.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

hmm sounds like a fear issue to me. imho!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

At first, it was. Now, it just feels like I have no strength in my usually strong legs and awkward, hence the feeling I'm going to crash.
    But, you're right, Mimi. I am no slouch when it comes to climbing; in fact there have been several times on group rides where the guys (OK, older guys) ask me what kind of training I did to be able to spin up a hill at such a high cadence. The answer is always the same. No training, it seemed like the natural thing for me to do.
    I just wish I could stand with as much ease.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

you sound pretty strong indeed.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    At first, it was. Now, it just feels like I have no strength in my usually strong legs and awkward, hence the feeling I'm going to crash.
    But, you're right, Mimi. I am no slouch when it comes to climbing; in fact there have been several times on group rides where the guys (OK, older guys) ask me what kind of training I did to be able to spin up a hill at such a high cadence. The answer is always the same. No training, it seemed like the natural thing for me to do.
    I just wish I could stand with as much ease.
    Have you ever tried the "rowing" technique? I learned it at a Mt bike clinic for long climbs but now I use on the road. You slightly pull up on the handlebar in cadence with your pedaling, also not a full upright stand but off the seat about half way .....It sounds like you are way strong and experienced- so maybe it is just a matter of experimenting.......

I agree with you.