Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Swim timer?

Swim timer?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I never know where to put swimming threads...

I seem to be one of those people who can fog a brand-new pair of goggles in nanoseconds. By the time they're 6 months old, forget it....no amount of anti-fog solution helps. I've recently started doing workouts that require using the pace clock....and I can't see it through the fog! Since I'm not going to fix the fogging anytime soon, I'm looking for another timing option. I tried using my SportCount Combo yesterday. It didn't really work for me because of the way it shifts from timer mode to lap count & time when I hit the button, which makes it hard to accurate time a very short rest interval.

Any suggestions? Any feedback on the Swimovate Pool Mate for the purposes of timing?

Thanks in advance!

This is a good review of the new Garmin Swim Watch. If you poke around that website, there are reviews for the other swim watches too.

I wonder if a watch form factor will be OK for you to see, though.

That sucks about the fogging issue.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thanks for the link! I wasn't aware that Garmin had released a new watch.

I could see my SportCount and my workout well enough because they were close up. I would desperately love to solve the fogging issue, but I can't keep buying goggles every 4 months. A swimming friend has suggested that swedes or similar may help because they cover so little skin, and that's next on my list to try. Then again, she also told me that I might just have juicy eyeballs

Do you run hot? I have the same problem with fogging because I get so hot when I exercise (particularly my head) that the differential between the heat of my head and the relative cool of the pool water means fog. Period. It's a nightmare in open water if I'm swimming hard (like in a race).

I found that swimming with a lycra swim cap helps a little bit because it keeps me cooler (even though it means zero protection for my hair).

Oh, and for the timer, the Garmin 910 watch works great because you can pick the fields you want to see as you swim. I used to use my Chrono finger thingy too but found that I couldnt' read it very well without my glasses and like you, the flipping back and forth between displays was annoying. My pool doesn't even have a deck clock!
    Last edited by GLC1968; 07-18-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I've never thought of myself as warm-blooded, but I heat up quickly during a workout, relative to my normal temp. I'm usually freezing, until I start moving, and then I'm sweating buckets. Lycra caps were better, fog-wise, but I was going through one every other month because of the chlorination. I wish someone made a poly cap like my Endurance suits!

I hate to spend Garmin-type money to solve what seems like a simple, inexpensive problem...but it may come to that. Anyone use a simple multi-lap sports watch?

I just use my Timex Ironman Watch, I use either the chrono or timer mode.

If I am just looking at rest intervals between sets I use the chrono mode.
    It I want to do the sets in specific time I use the lap mode.
    It has 100 lap counter and was only $40 at Target.

Oh yeah, the lycra would die a quick death in a chlorine pool. I swim in a saline pool, so it's not quite as bad. I forgot about that part!

I also used to use an inexpensive timex and that worked great until my eyesight got bad enough that I could no longer read the display. If you don't have old lady eyes like me, that would probably be your least expensive solution!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by sgf726 View Post
    I just use my Timex Ironman Watch, I use either the chrono or timer mode.

If I am just looking at rest intervals between sets I use the chrono mode.
    It I want to do the sets in specific time I use the lap mode.
    It has 100 lap counter and was only $40 at Target.
    This sounds like a reasonable solution at a reasonable price. Thanks for the specifics of each mode- it's helpful.

A couple of fog tips: never ever touch the inside of your goggles. Immediately after you swim, rinse them thoroughly with cold water. In addition, some folks swear by cleaning them in baby shampoo, but I haven't tried that one. I've been lucky in terms of not having too many problems with fogging (I use Speedo Vanquisher 2.0s).

No advice on the timer, since I roll at turtle speed usually. ;-)
    Last edited by Selkie; 07-18-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly