Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thumbs up

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey TrekHawk, Sounds like you and I may be a perfect match up for the ride. I was also wondering if I could start early and still hope to make it back before times up.

Since I would be coming down from the north, Logan looks to be the best place for me to stay. Yellow, It's great you can do a little recon work for us. We'll all owe you a drink or two.

This is getting exciting! Maybe all this will help with my training.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    SK, you won't find your map 'cuz you gave it to me!

I don't have scanning capability, but I'll see what I can do tomorrow when the Utah world reopens. It's not the best quality so it may not scan all that well.

According to the map, here are some race logistics that should answer some of TH's questions:

There were three routes last year: 30, 60, and 100 miles. The 100 mile route has 4 "official" stops. The 60 mile route has 3 official stops. The 30 mile route has only one.

The 30 and 100 follow the same route up until about mile 24. They have the same first stop at about 20 miles. The 60 mile route's first stop is at mile 27.6; it splits from the other route at mile 18.2 (but comes back to join it later). There is a restroom (aka LOO, ELEPHANT) at mile 13.1 for all routes.

The second stop for the 100 is at mile 35. The location is the same as the first stop for the 60. The second stop for the 60 is at mile 35.5. This is the "lunch stop location".

The third stop for the 100 is at mile 48.8. This is the "lunch stop" location. The third stop for the 60 is at about mile 56 (the map neglects to show the mileage at this stop). This is the last stop for the 60.

The fourth and last stop for the 100 is at approx mile 80.

You only get to ride in Whydaho if you do the 100!

Ya stop at the stops if you wanna stop. I usually have to stop at all stops if I'm properly hydrating myself! (are there good willow patches on the route??? )

That must be why I just found it in the Oregonia mountainbiking route stash! Must have tucked it in there way back in September.

Yellow's got it right. The route snakes and snakes and snakes up to Whydaho. The third stop in Lewiston, Yewtah, is visited twice by the 100-milers. You ride a 20 mile loop into Whydaho between the two stops at it, so it is easy to reduce your ride to 80 -- certainly still a good ride.

I have several photocopies here. You want one? PM your snail mail address. I have a scanner at work and at home but neither is set up, so you'll have to wait for Mr. Postman (er, Postperson). The map describes all 3 routes and isn't easy to follow but you'll understand it with patience.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerHen
    Hey TrekHawk, Sounds like you and I may be a perfect match up for the ride. I was also wondering if I could start early and still hope to make it back before times up.

Since I would be coming down from the north, Logan looks to be the best place for me to stay. Yellow, It's great you can do a little recon work for us. We'll all owe you a drink or two.

This is getting exciting! Maybe all this will help with my training.
    Hey BikerHen sounds like a good plan. Im sure it makes it easier if you have someone to ride part/or all of the way with.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Map says "course closes at 4:30". As long as you start first thing and don't dawdle at the rest stops, you should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Map says "course closes at 4:30". As long as you start first thing and don't dawdle at the rest stops, you should be OK.
    Yep that does sound doable (even for this slow Poke) as long as like you say I (or we if bikerhen and I ride together) dont dawdle at the stops.

Thanks SadieKate that little bit of info sure makes me feel more comfortable of finishing in time.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

How fun is this? I'm working on my schedule for this year and thought I would post on te to see if anyone had done the RRH. Well low and behold, you are already discussing it and planning trips from all over the west. So it must be a great race if ya'll are willing to make a weekend trip for it.
    Long story short, thanks to your pure enthusiasm I will register for this one as soon as it becomes open. Sounds like so much fun.

I'm not as experienced to the cycling world here in Utah as it sounds like Yellow is (I'm new to cycling, still learning to clip in without freaking out.) But since I am local, I'll be happy to offer any info as much as I can. So feel free to ask away and if I don't know, I'll try to find out.

Also, just a word of warning. The Salt Lake Marathon/half marathon/5k and bike tour is the same day as RRH, June 3rd. Therefore, if you plan to stay in downtown salt lake, there will most likely be some road closures, traffic as there was last year. Its a very popular race. Not sure how it will affect the hotel situation...since I'm not into the runners world I don't know how many will travel in for the marathon.

Hi sulis -

Thanks so much for the info ! Look forward to meeting you.

- Jo.

I googled the website for the marathon
    http://www.saltlakecitymarathon.com/
    and came across this helpful tidbit in a press release :

The results of an extensive weather analysis of 30 years of weather history for April, May and June shows us that June has a significantly better chance of clear skies and pleasant temperatures. The first Saturday in June shows average temperatures of 54°F at 7:00 a.m. for the marathon start and 70°F by 1:00 p.m. at course closure …..well within a comfortable range for participants.

Here's a map of the route. The good news is, the marathon route extends from SLC southward, while Wellsville and Logan are north of SLC.

Might make things a bit more complicated, though

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    The 30 and 100 follow the same route up until
    Ya stop at the stops if you wanna stop. I usually have to stop at all stops if I'm properly hydrating myself! (are there good willow patches on the route??? )
    i don't think i've EVER passed a stop on an organized ride!

that's quite an odd spread! you'd think they woulda put them at 25, 50, 75 for the 100... 20, 48, 80 is odd (and a big gap for the end of the ride!)

Hi, Sulis. Last year I saw several TE jerseys but none of the wearers seemed to know about this forum so spread the word!

Cali, this is RURAL Yewtah not megalopolis SoCal. You takes your rest stops wherever there is a village/park/elephant. The good news is that the population and traffic are low so the riding is relaxed, the air is clean and you can look up at the scenery.

Here is a nice article on bicycling in the Cache Valley.
    http://www.utah.com/schmerker/2001/cache_valley.htm

A map to help everyone locate Wellsville. Ogden would have a lot of amenities. I suspect that the Marathon will affect housing and restaurants only. The Cache Valley is about 85 miles northeast of SLC. Tons of women commuted from SLC the day of the ride. Didn't even need a map to find the start, just followed the bikes.
    http://www.utah.com/maps/logan/

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    that's quite an odd spread! you'd think they woulda put them at 25, 50, 75 for the 100... 20, 48, 80 is odd (and a big gap for the end of the ride!)
    I agree, even if it is rural Yewtah. It's rare to have more than 25 miles between stops on a century ride (double centures are of course another matter, since those people are tough ). And the 100k's 1st stop is nearly 30 miles in - my crystal ball is showing "tons" (ie, bunches of 16 women) hunting for elephants all along that road.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Cali, this is RURAL Yewtah not megalopolis SoCal. You takes your rest stops wherever there is a village/park/elephant. The good news is that the population and traffic are low so the riding is relaxed, the air is clean and you can look up at the scenery.

[/url]
    i don't live in the megalopolis part of socal... i live in BFE... the desert... often nothing but cactus... cactus... and more cactus for miles!

i was just saying it's a loooooong way between stops.. and there are other ways of accommodating (porta potties)... the ride i just did saturday was in an area with NO facilities except at the start (and even those were porta potties)... they rented 2, put them trailers... and towed them out to the two rest stops! i was actually more concerned about food for that length of time! i get hungry and then i get fatigued....

if i'm able to do this... i'll have to be sure to stock up (stuff my handlebar bag) at the sag stops for between times...

I know you live in the boondocks; I was teasing. But sometimes you can't place rest stops based on mileage markers.

I don't remember any rest stops being too far apart. Plus, I always carry enough snacks that I can survive if I don't find anything digestible.