Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks Giulianna23 for asking those questions.....I wondered the same thing! I'm a fairly new rider & also live on the west side. I've been interested in signing up for a local ride but am a bit intimidated having never done one & not knowing anyone that rides. It sounds like this might be the perfect opportunity to get out there!

Here's my two cents about group riding, although others may disagree with me. Before you do a group ride or an event ride in particular, get comfortable riding on streets and roads either on your own or with a small group. Learn how to use hand signals appropriately and know the rules of the road as they relate to cyclists.

Once you feel relatively comfortable, I personally would recommend that you do an organized ride with CIBA (the Central Indiana Bicycle Association). They are offered most weekend days in and around Indianapolis. If you go to www.cibaride.org and look for the "non-repeating ride" schedule, you'll find a list of the rides, along with contact information for each ride's leader. Feel free to email the ride leader and indicate that you'd like to do the ride and would appreciate being able to ride with a mentor if at all possible. A mentor will help show you the ropes of riding in a group. Then introduce yourself to the ride leader the day of the ride. Even if you don't have an official mentor, someone will likely be available to help you out.

I've done the Hope Ride. It's fun as others have suggested, but I think it could be a bit overwhelming for someone new to riding. While the crowd does eventually thin out, it's pretty thick near the beginning and thick with other new or casual riders who often ride a bit erratically (nothing against new riders, but I think there's a tendency at casual event rides to sort of forget that they're on a public road. With cars and other users).
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by marjjohn View Post
    Thanks Giulianna23 for asking those questions.....I wondered the same thing! I'm a fairly new rider & also live on the west side. I've been interested in signing up for a local ride but am a bit intimidated having never done one & not knowing anyone that rides. It sounds like this might be the perfect opportunity to get out there!
    Welcome to TE

I am always looking forward to meet other people to ride with. So whenever you have a chance let me know and we could maybe go to Eagle Creek Park . I also need to practice with my new bike and will be going this Saturday

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

A couple of weeks ago I did the Sagbraw tour in Wisconsin. Here's some of the stupid things I saw riders do. On the first day a group stopped at a stop sign and blocked the entire lane. This was a 4 way crossing, it was at the top of a rise and they not only blocked me but the cars coming behind them. My only choice was to cross the yellow line into the oncoming lane and go around them or stop behind them. I stopped behind them and had to walk my bike to get around them. I heard later that week that a police officer warned riders about blocking the lanes and told them he would ticket them if they continued.

The same day a woman started drafting me. We were riding along the Lake Michigan shore on a bike path. She said nothing but no matter how I tried to drop her she stayed on my wheel. I don't draft and feel very uncomfortable with a rider I don't know so close to my rear wheel. Finally, I told her I was stopping and pulled over. She caught up to my SO and drafted him. It was very obvious what she was doing.

The next day a young guy passed my SO on the right with no warning. Later I heard him complain the hills were slowing his average speed.

There was a couple riding side by side taking the whole lane, talking away. They were oblivious to those around them so passing was difficult. This happens a lot on these tours.

Another day I went to pass 2 older men also taking the entire lane. I said "passing" but they didn't move over. I yelled "passing" again and they still didn't move over forcing me to cross the center line to pass them (visibility was good). When I passed the rider on the left yelled back "well, I'm not passing!" I took that as his excuse for not moving over.

My perspective on all of this is these are people who have not ridden on group rides and aren't aware of the dynamics going on around them.

Interestingly enough, by the end of the week these riders seem to disappear. I often wonder if they leave the tour or spend the last few days sagging.
    Last edited by Kathi; 08-15-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Unrelated to Kathi's post, I think it is also important to not give into the "lemmings" approach when crossing intersections. While there are certain givens to crossing an intersection (signed or not, level of traffic, speed of oncoming traffic, visibility, etc.), there is also a range of of conditions that determine whether an intersection is "clear" to cross between individuals. What I might consider safe might not be for you, or vice-versa.

Conditions change quickly, so what might have been perfectly safe for several riders in front of you doesn't automatically follow that it will be safe for you. Take responsibility for your safety and determine for yourself if/when it is safe to cross.
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-15-2012 at 05:28 PM.

I've finally registered for the Hope Ride. Went for the 75 mile "Mad Cow Metric Century"...methinks the additional 13 miles is the "Mad Cow" effect While I registered for the 75 miles, I will decide that morning if it will be the 50 or 75 mile route. It will all depend on my legs and how much road riding I do in the next month. The 50 wouldn't be a problem now, the 75... probably not. Mountain biking is just so much more enticing these days than long road rides so we shall see

The Hope Ride is next Saturday I just found out there are over 1,800 riders registered for this ride - talk about going for a bike ride with a few hundred of our best friends!

This ride is coming up again. How was it for everyone?

I've been out of town for it the last few years (and will be again this year).
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Megustalaplaya View Post
    This ride is coming up again. How was it for everyone?
    It is a very good/well supported ride. If you are considering it debate no further - and it supports regional food banks. Sadly I can't go this year - between my mom's health and my move I can't go

Catrin, how much climbing is on this ride? Is it a very hilly route?

They change the route periodically, so I don't know that there's a definitive answer to that. The last I did it, there were a few short hills, but I wouldn't have called it hilly.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

What Indy said, it really depends on the year. They do, from what I understand, have more hills on the 100 mile option. It seems like every time I do this ride I wind up having to cut my ride short due to previous injuries...but I only remember 1 or 2 short STEEP little climbs on the route. Roads are great, and there is always music and goodies at each SAG.

Will be doing my first century tomorrow at the Hope Ride. MY longest ride so far is 65mi at the Gary's Ride a month ago and I did pretty well, so I think I can do this.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

Have fun - 100 miles is quite different from 65 however, so listen to your body. Also, the distances on the Hope Ride routes are typically longer than advertised so keep that in mind - at least they have been in the past I understand the century route gets quite scenic so have fun!!!