Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hope Ride (Indiana)

To disable ads, please log-in.

The registration page is up for the 2012 Hope Ride in southern Indiana. This is a great ride that is well supported and serves as the annual major fundraiser for local area foodbanks - this isn't a wealthy part of the state and this is the 25th annual ride. The entire community comes out to support this ride and they have a great sense of humor

The SAG stops are great and have live music, and one of the stops is at a local winery. There isn't much climbing on the 50 mile routes and shorter - their "metric" is 75 miles. I hope to do this one myself, or at least the 50 miler.

If you are in driving distance you might want to consider it. They do have teams, the largest team takes $2500 home to their local food pantry. It would be great to have a TE team just for fun

Information page here
    For fun
    Photos
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-16-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Wow Catrin..thanks for the info. Sounds like fun. I am very interested I would love to do the 50miles I know I can do it even with my vintage commuter bike but hopefully I will have my baby Giant roady at least a month before that event....I wouldn't mind at all driving down there to participate.
    I will check the page. The only thing I am affraid of is that I really don't know how to fix my bike if something happens (like a flat tire for example) . But I guess I shouldn't worry too much if I will be using a brand new bike right?...or should I? Another thing is I have no one to ride with . I have a friend but she lives in Noblesville , she rides her new Raleigh on the weekends but because she is not close to me we never get to ride together..we always say we are going to do it but never do... I am going to tell her about this event to see if she wants to go and we can ride together....I dunno..
    With my steel Schwinn I average aprox. 12.42 MPH and I am getting better each day . When I first started commuting I needed about 52 minutes to get to my office and about 1 hr going back home ,8miles each way (the way back home its harder) and that was killing myself and getting to my destination without breath and with my legs shaking. Now it takes me about 35 minutes going to the office and maybe 40 going back home and on a easy pace (not killing my self) So I think I can do the 50miles.

I hope nothing comes up at the last minute to prevent me from doing this.
    Last edited by Giulianna23; 07-16-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

@Guilianna, new bike or not, it's arguably worth your time to learn how to fix a flat well before you're in that situation. As your LBS if they'd be willing to do a demo for you and then go home and practice. But at group rides, I'd say it's better off if you get a flat than if you're riding on your own. As people pass you'll, most will ask if you need any help and somebody would likely be able to help you. Still, it's a necessary skill to have regardless of the rides you do.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks for the heads up Indysteel. It is ironic that now I don't know how to do it and I used to when I was a kid. I do have an idea but I dont think I can do it correctly now. But yeah I better start practicing.

Whan about them youtube videos?..

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

Print off instructions for changing a flat and carry them with you. It sounds silly but before I was proficient at changing my flats that's what I did.

The terrain on the Hope ride is fairly flat. Because the ride is in 25 mi loops you can decide at the sag stop if you want to continue on.

The last time I did it I rode the century. That was an epic week for me, I had just finished the week of the TRIRI tour, approx 300 miles, then rode the Century on the Hope ride.

To the best of my knowledge, they periodically change the routes for the Hope Ride, so I don't know that past year's routes should be used as a guide as to how hilly/flat it will be this year. I did the 50 mile route two years ago and there were some hills. Not sure I'd call it hilly, but it wasn't flat.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, they periodically change the routes for the Hope Ride, so I don't know that past year's routes should be used as a guide as to how hilly/flat it will be this year. I did the 50 mile route two years ago and there were some hills. Not sure I'd call it hilly, but it wasn't flat.
    Yes, they do change the route every year, and the short routes do diverge form the longer - at least that has been my experience. There are multiple decision points however at which one can choose a shorter route if desired. I call it "scenic" rather than hilly or flat, and the back roads we were using were in excellent shape - I do remember that. Of course there will likely be a new route this year - or at least one I've not yet seen

I agree that knowing how to change a flat is very important, and it is good to practice from time to time. I've not had a flat yet, and I am in my third season. It will happen eventually and I am dreading that for I am not very fast at it. However, I do know how to do it, and that is what matters. If it does happen on a group ride like this there are usually others around, which is nice. There is a SAG wagon if there are mechanical difficulties and you can't continue.

Registered for the 50 mile category...

I was going to get my new bike by the end of August but because I really want to practice and train for this event I will try my best to get it in by the end of this month or first week of August. I am really concern about "saddle" comfort and want to have time to get use to it or find out if I need a new one and get it before the event.

Now... this will be my very first time ever doing this so I have no clue about it so please excuse my ignorance. I have some questions about if I should go the same day very early or should I just go the day before and spend the night at a nearby hotel?...should I take a friend or family member as company or can I just go by myself?...

I already know I have to re-learn how to fix a flat tire but what about practice?...During the week I am only able to do my 18 mile commute but I have Sat and Sun to practice. How should I practice as far as speed and strength?.. Hills and flats?..is there a time frame to complete the miles?

I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Giulianna23; 07-17-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

It will be a lot of fun! I will drive down early that morning but I am not that far away. I think the closest hotel is in Columbus if you choose that route.

If you have a very long drive you might want to consider the motel route so you can be rested - they also have free tent camping at the starting point (a school) if you are inclined. Many people do come on their own, so don't feel you must bring someone if that doesn't work out. I will be registering for the same distance...let's meet up! I would be happy to ride with you, just warning you that I am not very fast
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-18-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Catrin ....I am 1 hour away... not too far either. But yeah let's meet up. I think I will be driving as well early that morning..that way I will be really awake when we get there. Should we meet downtown and drive down there together? How early we gotta be there?

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

Quote Originally Posted by Giulianna23 View Post
    Catrin ....I am 1 hour away... not too far either. But yeah let's meet up. I think I will be driving as well early that morning..that way I will be really awake when we get there. Should we meet downtown and drive down there together? How early we gotta be there?
    hmmmm, I just noticed you are in Indianapolis I intend on being there by 6:30 at the latest and get some coffee before starting - and they will have breakfast as well. I've a hitch rack on my Kia Soul that takes two bikes, I think we can work something out here What part of Indy do you live in? I am on the NW side...If you aren't too far from me, my complex is a safe place for your car - but we can work that out closer to time via PM.

As I remember it took longer to get to Hope than I thought, so we will want to allow a bit more driving time than we think.

I am on the Westside close to Plainfield.

Kia Soul?...cool !.. In mid 2009 I got 2010 Kia Soul Sport ..the one with the fancy red black seats and all the extras but I sold it last year. Nice car and Really fun to drive.

Yeah I think we can discuss meeting up via PM later. I have a friend that wants to go not to ride but just to hang out and check out the event. So I might be driving. If she decides not to go then I think it would be a good idea to drive down there together in the same vehicle. So lets keep in touch.

Thank you

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

Quote Originally Posted by Giulianna23 View Post
    Registered for the 50 mile category...

I was going to get my new bike by the end of August but because I really want to practice and train for this event I will try my best to get it in by the end of this month or first week of August. I am really concern about "saddle" comfort and want to have time to get use to it or find out if I need a new one and get it before the event.

Now... this will be my very first time ever doing this so I have no clue about it so please excuse my ignorance. I have some questions about if I should go the same day very early or should I just go the day before and spend the night at a nearby hotel?...should I take a friend or family member as company or can I just go by myself?...

I already know I have to re-learn how to fix a flat tire but what about practice?...During the week I am only able to do my 18 mile commute but I have Sat and Sun to practice. How should I practice as far as speed and strength?.. Hills and flats?..is there a time frame to complete the miles?

I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you!
    Just keep riding. Gradually up your mileage during your weekend rides if you aren't already comfortably riding 40+ miles. If you can ride hilly terrain (which isn't necessarily easy to do in Indy) then by all means do it; hills always provide better training than the flats IMO.

Hopefully, you'll be able to get comfortably dialed in on your new bike prior to the Hope Ride. The quest for a decent saddle can take a while though so if you're not comfortable on what you have on the day of the ride, either ride a shorter route and/or generously use your chamois cream of choice paired with your best shorts.

This is my only word of caution: The Hope Ride attracts a lot of casual riders and riders who aren't used to riding in groups. You might see people not really following the rules of the road very well, not signaling, passing you without warning, and other types of behaviors that might be dangerous and/or annoying. Here are a few suggestions:

Stay to the right of the road unless you're passing. If you want to pass somebody, look behind you first to make sure nobody else is trying to overtake you (including cars). As you approach someone, announce "on your left" or "passing." Then get to the right again after you pass them. Ride single file unless it's safe to ride two abreast. At the start of a ride, I try not to ride two abreast until the riders thin out. Stay alert to what other riders around you are doing and to other conditions along the route. In other words, ride defensively.

If you're among other riders, announce and signal when you're stopping, slowing down or turning. Announce the presence of cars as necessary (for instance, if you become aware of a car approaching and riders are up ahead of you, yell "car back." Or if you come to a stop sign where you need to turn right, for instance, and there's a car approaching from the left, yell "car left"). Just try to do what you can to help other riders ride safely and hopefully the favor will be returned. That said, I always look both ways at an intersection before proceeding even if someone yells "clear."

If I'm unfamiliar with a route, I take a good look at the cue sheet to identify when I can expect the SAG stops and at what point the route I'm doing breaks off from other routes. I, personally, don't like to linger too long at the SAG stops, but if memory serves, some of the SAGS at the Hope Ride can get kind of crowded. The lines for the porta-potties were long. My strategy for that is to grab some food and then stand in line to go to the bathroom as I eat. I also always carry some of my own food. I've been to event rides where they've run out of food or food that I can tolerate. It's always good to carry your own stash.

I don't remember what the time cut off is at the Hope Ride. The big lunch spot will get picked over pretty well though if you arrive overly late. It sounds like Catrin intends to start the ride early and you're not doing the longer routes, so I doubt you'll run into problems there.

Have fun, ladies! I'll be on my way home from Maine the day of the ride, so I won't be doing it this year.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I think the cut off for lunch was 2:30? That might differ from year to year though. There isn't a mass start however which is quite nice, though there will still be plenty of cyclists starting at the same time. I am just not all that fast which is why I like to start early, take my time to enjoy the ride and still arrive at lunch before the food runs out

I agree those first few miles in particular can be interesting, especially with those who may not ride often or haven't learned how to ride in groups. That seems to usually be sorted out by or before the first SAG stop - at least that has been my experience.

Wow Indysteel...Thanks for all the tips...

I do 20 miles every Sat and Sun mornings and I am always up to do a few more miles but I have to be at home at certain time. I guess I am going to have to wake up earlier than ussual to take advantage and add 5+ miles every weekend.

Thanks again for the advice.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB