Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Hot weather commuting

As the new semester starts tomorrow bright and early I have been looking ahead at the forecast. It's high of 97 tomorrow (tolerable) but then 102 Tuesday and 107 Wednesday. Ugh. Tomorrow won't be so bad bc early it won't be too hot. Later in the week it's only getting down around 88 at night and supposed to be humid. I have a gym nearby on campus that I have debating on utilizing for showering. I was thinking about just waiting to clean up after I got to campus. It's just so hot I'm soaked within two miles.

It always seems like I go through the whole check list of things to bring in my head each time I commute but this weather does make is challenging. I think cold is easier. Come to think of it there are lockers at the gym but we can only use them daily not overnight so i cant leave stuff there. Might be good still for leaving my clothes and other getting cleaned up stuff in till i change in the evening to ride home??? So far I've come up with this as my essential list:
    Change of clothes
    Books and notes
    Computer
    ID
    Purse
    Travel toiletries
    Towel
    Shoes
    Food for lunch

It was a rough start to the new semester. Myself and several others learned of the unexpected passing of one of our classmates. It just doesn't seem possible someone so young and promising was allowed to slip away? Not my place to decide who stays and who doesn't I know but it is hard to accept.

So on a happier note, my commute went great. Getting my Philly legs back after a summer refuge in the flats of Indiana. As most of us know the heat both places has and continues to be relentless. I'm not even dressing in my 'normal' clothes tomorrow. I'm heading strait to the gym to shower then go to class. Maybe I'm getting wimpy in my old age but this heat/humidity combo is just about the worst I can remember!

Glad to hear your commute went well, sorry to hear about your loss. Respect the heat and go easy on your body as it adjusts. Your packing list looks complete-- don't forget underwear!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

My get up an go done got up and went.

Good advice about the heat. I am not feeling the best this evening probably due to the heat and me not being used to it yet. I am drinking a lot of water in case im just dehydrated. It may be start of female cycle getting ready too. I feel super tired, i took an iron tab and i have some lean beef for dinner. I hate feeling so wimpy.

Yep gotta bring undies tomorrow for sure :-)

Remember electrolytes. Water isn't enough. You can lose a surprising amount of salt (sodium AND potassium) in a short amount of time. My favorite is V8, but others like sports drinks & gels etc.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Sending you a high 5 for being brave enough to ride in these temps! I am going to try a short ride in the park tonight - and I am going to wimp out and drive my bike there to park under shade instead of riding there...now THAT is wimpy Can you get some Margarita shot blocks or something like that?

Hang in there, it is hard to lose someone we know.