Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike Names - Does yours have one and how did you choose?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a brand new road bike and I am thinking of naming her and I started wondering about other TEers. Do you think it is silly to name your bike? Or were you inspired?

Heh, no worries, you're in very good company

Naming Bikes: Normal or Crazy?

(There are probably a few other threads but they might have the word 'name' in the title, which is too short or too common to come up in a search)

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

My bike doesn't have a name, per se, but it's definitely a girl. The closest she has to a name is Not-Bikington (so as to distinguish it from my boyfriend's bike, which I dubbed Bikington).
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Mine is Lillibeth.
    Wherever I go, there I am!

2012 Rivendell Betty Foy

my bike is a pretty light sage color, they call it "Jade", so that is what I named my bike. I like the name for a human too.

There's another thread here

Mine did have names but they didn't really stick. The mountain bike is now "Scratch" and I think the incoming mixte will be "Minnie".
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyabeth View Post
    I have a brand new road bike and I am thinking of naming her and I started wondering about other TEers. Do you think it is silly to name your bike? Or were you inspired?
    We are of the belief that your bike will tell you it's name if you are open to listening. In our stable, we have Sky, Chief, Norm and Cruella de Ville
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    We are of the belief that your bike will tell you it's name if you are open to listening. In our stable, we have Sky, Chief, Norm and Cruella de Ville
    Yes, my Surly whispered a name to me a few days ago as I was considering colors for new bar tape.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I desperately want to name my Madone. She is beautiful and a good teacher. Unfortunately, the name has to just come to me, it cannot be forced. My husband and son had several suggestions, but "Superbike" and "House Payments" just didn't sing to me.

My hybrid's name is Scamp. He just told me.

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post
    My husband and son had several suggestions, but .... "House Payments" just didn't sing to me.
    LOL, good one!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Of COURSE it's silly to name you're bike. That's what makes it so fun!

My bike has been an evolution of ever changing components, including the frame. When I first got her, she was a CAAD9 frame and I kind of called her Caddy for a while. But then it sort of evolved to Caad Baby and then just Baby.

When I got the SuperSix frame, and other changed components at the same time, it seemed like a completely different bike. I guess I kind of stopped calling her anything in particular, as nothing was really jumping out at me. I do like to say that she's "Super Sixy!" Haha! And she is. But that's not a name.

I guess if she had a name, it would still be Baby. This thread has me thinking, though. I WOULD like to have a name that really sticks that I actually use. Baby seems like a nickname, like Honey, and that's how I feel when I call her that. Yet it also reminds me of Dirty Dancing. "Nobody puts Baby in the corner!" I do put MY Baby in the bike cabinet, all safe and sound, though.

I'll let you know if anything jumps out at me today. As for the bike telling me her name . . . that hasn't happened and she's been a SuperSix for a couple of years now. Maybe I just wasn't listening. Hmmmm!
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

Okay, I just went to a site with pet names, girl pet names in particular. Seemed like a good place to start. I was drawn to names beginning with S, which I later decided was because she is a SuperSIx.

Near the top was the name Sabrina, which jumped out at me. After that I looked through several lists, just female names in general (not pets) and the only other name that kind of spoke to me was Sadie, another S name.

So at the moment, I'm toying with Sabrina (which I could possibly call her Bree for short . . . only then there's no S, but whatever! I like Baby, too, and that's a B. There's something about the first letter of names for me. I have always leaned toward certain letters when I've searched for names for my pets and, of course, my humans.)

Sabrina feels sexy (like how she is super sixy and all!) and like a strong female name . . . and she feels like a strong bike. She's fast, even though I'm not right now, and takes care of me.

Hmmmm. I think I'll live with it for a while. Ponder it and see if it feels right. Also Sadie, but definitely feel stronger about Sabrina.

So there's my super long ramblings on my bike name. Two whole posts even. I need to get a life!
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

My bike royal blue- exactly the color of a wildflower called Speedwell. The genus is Veronica. Therefore: Veronica Speedwell- Ms. Speedy for short. She is, and I'm not (speedy, that is)
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

My Storck is called the "Stealth Storck"....well, because she is basically all black and sneaky I really need a better pic of her. She is prettier than the pic shows The other two don't reallly have names yet.....they just haven't "spoken" to me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Storck 5-21-11 001.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	14765  
    2005? Storck Senario cd 1.0 with SRAM Force, Specialized Romin Comp Gel 155 saddle
    1998 Lemond Tourmalet
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

trek pilot 5.2 is named bebe (pronounced baybay) which is an extension of blue bike which is what she is, but she is also baby baby my baby in every way. She agrees and told me so.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."