Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A REALLY T-shaped saddle to watch for - Ergon SM3

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just stumbled across a saddle that SI is apparently making for Ergon. Look at how seriously T-shaped this puppy is!

I'm not seeing it available in the US, yet. I'm also sorta unsure about the shape of it. It does come in 2 widths (I think the S is 135 and the L is 145), but it appears that the sit bones would be in a sort of hollow, with weird sort of ridges just inside the sit bones. I'm not sure that dent/channel in the nose would be effective if the sit bones are already planted in divots. I think the footprint looks fabulous, but the overall shape of the top of the saddle looks a little suspect.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Off topic, I checked out the link to Ergon's site and stumbled on the grips I'd been looking for! I saw them on someone else's bike and I've been really wanting some. Thanks!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    Off topic, I checked out the link to Ergon's site and stumbled on the grips I'd been looking for! I saw them on someone else's bike and I've been really wanting some. Thanks!
    Ergon grips are great! They're on every single mountain bike in our garage (including the Mukluk)!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Smile

My GP told me to stop riding back last August because of De Quervain’s tendonitis in my thumbs. Fortunately my chiropractor said "No" and suggested I stopped using my laptop on my lap, so I bought a small table and separate keyboard PLUS changed to Ergon grips.

Result, great I can ride, the grips are good, plenty of choice for moving your hands around.

Sorry to have gone off topic slightly.

Need to replace my saddle, hence I checked out your thread.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

It didn't take me long at all before DH talked me into Ergon grips on my mountain bike. My hands were really sore on the stock round grips.

I found a video about the new Ergon saddle. At the end she hinted at the possibility of a road-specific version for next year. Also a demo program--I'd be all over that! Our LBS carries Ergon stuff, so maybe they could get their hands on a demo for me to try.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Ergon grips rock - I would literally be unable to ride without them. Let's hear it for Ergon! If I wasn't so happy with my SI Lady Gel saddles (on both road and trail bikes) I would consider the new Ergon saddle...

Hmmm, well I guess the only thing left is decide if I can spend the money on grips right now . . . I'd really love some! They look very comfortable, especially for long rides. I remember a time, way back when, I could just buy stuff as I needed it. Nothing extravagant, but still, if I wanted something, I could just go pick it up. Boy do I miss those days!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Hmmm, well I guess the only thing left is decide if I can spend the money on grips right now . . . I'd really love some! They look very comfortable, especially for long rides. I remember a time, way back when, I could just buy stuff as I needed it. Nothing extravagant, but still, if I wanted something, I could just go pick it up. Boy do I miss those days!
    Might you find a deal on a set on eBay? It's worth looking into.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Hi - first time poster chiming in re: the grips. I couldn't handle riding my flat bar commuter for more than a couple miles without aggravating wrist and thumb pain. With the Ergons, I can do 20 miles without issues.

If you're and REI member, it might be a good time to try them out with the 20% member coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by mzone View Post
    If you're and REI member, it might be a good time to try them out with the 20% member coupon.
    Plus I think they're pretty good with returns if something doesn't work out. I've thought about getting a membership for that reason.

Re: the Ergon saddle, I asked on their FB page when it would be available and they said the following:
    Likely beginning of May once we get the saddles and get them distributed to our various retail channels. Demo program? Yes. Still working out details on this and will release details once established.
    I really want to demo one.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I have those grips on my "grocery bike" and I LOVE THEM.

Interested in the demo program too! I hate my saddle. For me the search for the perfect saddle goes on...
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    For me the search for the perfect saddle goes on...
    The search is starting to make me want to hurt things (I mean, aside from my girl bits).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

It finally looks like this saddle has some limited availability in the US, after they kept pushing the release date back. I decided to order the lowest-end version in black, for starters (from Universal Cycles--they had the best price). If I don't like it on my road bike it will probably be better on a somewhat less aggressive bike (like my CX bike or mtn. bike). If I love it I'll eventually get the next model level up (carbon shell and has some super-slippery silicone coating on the inner thigh area to reduce friction against shorts, which is where mine wear out) in white for my roadie and put the cheaper black on on another bike. I remember seeing that they were considering a more road-specific version if the mtn. version does well, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Hopefully this will be the one! I look forward to your review.

Me too! The Bontrager InForm Affinity RL is *ok*, but it could be more t-shaped. I love the dent, just not the way my inner-thigh/cheek area feels so beat-up after 50 miles or so.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3