Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    You know, a dear friend told me she thinks Katrina(the bike) just left because she couldn't bear to never be ridden by Donald again.
    On that note, I had been entertaining the notion that if bikes have souls (and I believe they do!), maybe Katrina was waiting for Donald on the other side ...
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

we are doing pretty good, but I miss him SO MUCH, and I keep wondering when he's going to show up...!!
    Hugs.

I haven't commented in these threads before because I didn't want to be a downer: About two years ago I lost an online acquaintance to the same cancer as Don. She went so fast - just two weeks from diagnosis. And looking back in her blog, just two months from the first symptom that something's wrong.

It is hard. For months my brain expected her to blog about the "experience". She was also active in an online role playing game. I expected to read about her plans for her characters. Now that she had "inside privilege" and unlimited playing time, was she going to run different types of characters, perhaps matching her own status? It took my brain a long time to accept that none of these things were going to happen.
    Laura

Mimi: I've been thinking about you so much in the last few days. Last Wednesday my Sister and Mom came up to visit from their hometown of Tucson. We lost my beloved brother in law, Hartman, to colon cancer a few years ago and he is still sorely missed. My sister was up in our area to go to Hopi homedance (Kachinas) for the first time since Hartman passed. He was Hopi and always participated in his religious part at homedance so it was hard for her to go back without him, but she made it with flying colors!

Part of homedance is always lots of baking and we spent all day Wednesday baking pies at my house (cherry and apple) so I spent the day thinking of Hartman and thinking of you and Don.

There are things that form connections all over the world and I just wanted to share with you our experience this week and the connections that are felt all around the country to you and Don.

Spoke

You know, a dear friend told me she thinks Katrina(the bike) just left because she couldn't bear to never be ridden by Donald again.
    It's really dusty in here all of a sudden. *sniff*
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

that's really beautiful, Spoke. and thanks Laura!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Raleighdon's bike

Everytime this thread pops up in "New Posts" I think, "Oh good, the bike has come home!"

I'd like to think that one of Donald's well-meaning friends appropriated the bike to tune it up, and get it all clean and nice for him to use as soon as he recovered. Now the current possessor of the bike is probably filled with remorse because he didn't get it done in time, and he's too embarassed to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Everytime this thread pops up in "New Posts" I think, "Oh good, the bike has come home!"

I'd like to think that one of Donald's well-meaning friends appropriated the bike to tune it up, and get it all clean and nice for him to use as soon as he recovered. Now the current possessor of the bike is probably filled with remorse because he didn't get it done in time, and he's too embarassed to return it.
    Sadly I don't think that's the case.

Now every black/red lugged steel bike I see here causes a gasp and a 2nd look. I think we had momentum for a coordinated routine of search especially with the good folks on bike journal.

Unless that's going on separately I think the grief and feeling of loss of Don took the wind out of the sails at least for a bit. I for one feel whoever has Katrina she's not there. Bikes have a soul and hers is riding with Don.

So maybe the crook is lying low for a while with the bike and thinks people have forgotten and will take it out in a while ... but no. We will never forget Don. I for one will be looking.

Karma's a b*tch so I expect to find the thief by the side of the road or doored with Katrina nearby and unharmed.
    Last edited by Trek420; 07-30-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I was at R & E bikes talking to Smiley the other day; my son is thinking of replacing Katrina with a Rodriguez. I asked Smiley what they do when someone rolls in with a Davidson like that for sale. He said "they never do - they come in with really good components for sale and throw away the frame." If that's true, for real, Katrina is dead too. Gone with Donald.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

I'm sorry, Mimi.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I'm sorry, Mimi.
    Me, too. It's just heartbreaking.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Also us. Counterbalance cycles said they do get crooks with obviously stolen bikes or "hot" bikes there. They confront them, ask a lot of questions and most often the perp leaves ... without the bike. The wrench I talked to said he has punched a guy out.

I do not sense he was saying this just to make me feel better about reporting a friends bike stolen. I think it happens.

Still it's very sad. I am so sorry.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

(((((Mimi)))))

Maybe she left to prepare the way for him, find all the best roads before he got there.

What if you include Katrina's memory in the dedication ceremony for the hospital bikes? Then whenever a patient rides those bikes, they can all ride together.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

... I miss him SO MUCH, and I keep wondering when he's going to show up...!!
    This is so familiar and sweet.
    I'm hanging on to it.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Bike journal posted some information about possible PNW bike theft chains:

From Portland's craigslist!

portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/3151932761.html

From Bellingham Police!

bellingham.craigslist.org/bik/3155072998.html
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    (((((Mimi)))))

Maybe she left to prepare the way for him, find all the best roads before he got there.

What if you include Katrina's memory in the dedication ceremony for the hospital bikes? Then whenever a patient rides those bikes, they can all ride together.
    Nice sentiments here.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna