Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Greasing pedal bearings, who knew?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I overheard a conversation at my LBS today while waiting for a minor mtb bike repair that got me to thinking about the need to grease my Frog pedals on my Gunnar. Apparently this bit of maintenance is needed for all clipless pedals at some point to extend their lives and I really had no idea. My odometer just clicked the 2k mark on my Gunnar so I need to pick up a grease gun to take care of this pretty soon. Surely I can find one that costs less than the $35 that Speedplay charges for theirs, though it does come with grease...

How often should I grease the bearings in my Frog pedals?
    Speedplay recommends that you grease the bearings with a synthetic, waterproof grease every 2000 miles or more frequently if you ride in wet or dusty conditions. The Frog pedal’s built-in grease port makes greasing quick and easy. Remember, grease is cheap insurance and saves you money on replacing prematurely worn or damaged parts.

Apparently I should also lubricate the cleats and crowns on the pedals regularly as well. I had no idea

So if you didn't know this was necessary, then you may want to check out the website for your particular brand of pedal to see what the recommended manufacturer's guidelines are.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-13-2012 at 01:15 PM.

My LBS includes lubing my cleats when they tune my bikes. One less tool taking up space.

Also, don't forget to lube your cleats.

Pedal maintenance

Not all pedals require this level of maintenance, but Speedplay is very specific in their owner's manual (that the shop should've given you, along with the product registration card) in regards to spindle maintenance as well as cleat lubrication (before every ride). All of this info and more is on their website as well.

As for Look/Shimano, they use a sealed bearing system that is maintenance free. My 1990-era Look pedals are still as smooth as the day they were made.
    Replacing road cleats yes, they are only plastic. Metal SPD/Time cleats last forever.

I use White Lightening on my Speedplay X pedals (cleats), but the Frogs specifically state you don't need to grease the cleats! Perhaps the bearings/spindles need something, but since they are on my "second" bike, they only have about 900 miles on them.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I use White Lightening on my Speedplay X pedals (cleats), but the Frogs specifically state you don't need to grease the cleats! Perhaps the bearings/spindles need something, but since they are on my "second" bike, they only have about 900 miles on them.
    hmmm, the Frogs FAQ page at Speedplay clearly state a need to grease the cleats - however I've never noted an issue at 2,000 miles. Of course, I am not using them for mountain biking anyway so that may well change things. I think I will call them next week and just ask if this is a real concern.

Abarnes I am sure that the directions came with my pedals, and I did send in the warranty card, I am just not so good at times in checking out the actual directions

The following is on the FAQ page regarding cleats:

Where should the Frog cleats and pedal surface be lubricated?
    Lubricate all areas where the cleat contacts the metal crowns on the pedals, and lubricate the metal crowns on the pedals. Be sure to use a dry-type (PTFE)lubricant such as Super-Lube Dry Film, RD-50, DuPont Performance Dry, Liquid Wrench Dry Lube, Pro Gold or Finish Line that will not attract dirt and debris.

What type of lubrication should I use on the Frog cleats and the metal crowns on the pedals?
    Speedplay recommends a dry-type lubrication such as Super-Lube Dry Film, RD-50, DuPont Performance Dry, Liquid Wrench Dry Lube, Pro Gold or Finish Line that will not attract dirt and debris. DO NOT USE A WET LUBRICANT!

How often should I lubricate the Frog cleats and crowns on the pedal bodies?
    The Frog cleats and pedal body crowns should be lubricated at least once a week, however, applying lube before each ride will significantly prolong the life of the cleats and the pedals. Additionally, lubricating Frog cleats and pedal body crowns with a dry-type (PTFE) lubricant makes entry easy.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-13-2012 at 05:47 PM.

I have Speedplay X pedals and had no idea you were to grease the cleats. I just looked at the online manual and it says to use a dry lube every other ride.

Thanks for the heads up Catrin and Crankin.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I recommend Phil Wood Waterproof Grease for the pedal bearings. I think it even comes with a small grease gun. A three ounce tube will last you a while.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    My LBS includes lubing my cleats when they tune my bikes. One less tool taking up space.

Also, don't forget to lube your cleats.

Oops, I meant my LBS lubes my pedals when they tune my bike, I lube my Speedplay road cleats (and change them regularly).

I lube my X pedals about once a week. If I don't, the cleat on the foot I clip in and out of gets a little difficult to deal with.
    I just read the FAQ page to DH, Catrin. Usually, you don't lube mountain bike pedals like Frogs, which is why we never have lubed them. I haven't had any difficulty getting into the Frogs, since my initial adaptation to them. I'm actually afraid lubing them would make me unclip in an unwanted situation, as I really had to practice for this not to happen! But, if it's recommended, I will start doing this.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

... Usually, you don't lube mountain bike pedals like Frogs, which is why we never have lubed them. I haven't had any difficulty getting into the Frogs, since my initial adaptation to them. I'm actually afraid lubing them would make me unclip in an unwanted situation, as I really had to practice for this not to happen! But, if it's recommended, I will start doing this.
    I've never had a problem accidentally unclipping from my Frogs, but from what I've read apparently some have had problems with this from time to time. I think I will contact Speedplay this week and see what they say. It is recommended, but I do wonder if that recommendation is based on typical trail conditions - mine are for road use and aren't exposed to the dust and dirt of trails. If they tell me I still should then I will...

I called the techs at Speedplay today and we talked about proper maintenance for Frogs that aren't being used for mountain biking. The rep recommended that the cleats still get a drop or two of dry lube every 2 weeks or so. Weekly if they get wet, but we can go a little longer if they aren't ridden in the rain & aren't really exposed to mud and dirt. He said with a little care the cleats will only need replacing every 5,000 miles. He strongly emphasized the need to grease the pedals about every 2K miles.

We had an interesting talk - then he tried to talk me into replacing the BMX pedals on my mountain bike with Frogs I will when I am ready - but that won't be THIS year. When I can go a full mountain biking season without having to take time off for injuries then I will consider it - but I didn't tell him that