Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post

So it sounds like you could potentially refuse certain benefits (like hotel or maybe transportation) and that would affect the minimum?
    Once again, it entirely depends on the event. Find out the specific details about the event you're interested in.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    If you want to ride 100 miles, just do your own ride.
    I abhor the thought of asking people for money. The only charity rides I've done are ones where you just pay a registration fee. Seriously, I wanted to do the Soldier Ride a second time, but they added in fund raising commitments. Sorry, I just can't do it. I won't ask work colleagues and I can't ask friends.
    I have to jump in here. Fundraising is not for everyone, and I get that. I've done TNT a few times now, and it's definitely the most difficult part.

However, the fundraising model has enabled the LLS to raise more than $1 billion for cancer research and patient care. Event registration fees alone could never touch that. TNT money - from friends, families and colleagues - has funded important breakthroughs in cancer treatments. It's pretty cool being at the dinner before an event and have them talk about specific medicines and research, all possible because of TNT.

I also know people, family friends, who were directly supported by the LLS. The society does more than fund research - it matches patients with experimental treatments and new treatments. It helps them find other support services. The human aspect of this really sealed the deal for me.

If you think about it, your friends will probably give some money to a charity. You are simply making them aware of this particular charity. I look at it as a worthwhile PITA.

Finally, there are lots of ways to raise money, other than simply asking. My friend and I had a beer tasting party - we got some interesting craft brews and charged folks $20 each to come and try beers they might not have seen yet. Some businesses are also very happy to help - a local bar I know of will let you sell extended happy hour tickets at the door. Restaurants will sometimes donate a percentage of an evening's profits to the cause. TNT's pretty good at helping you find this stuff, too.

*Gingerly hopping down from my little soap box now.*
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Quote Originally Posted by tangentgirl View Post
    I have to jump in here. Fundraising is not for everyone, and I get that. I've done TNT a few times now, and it's definitely the most difficult part.

However, the fundraising model has enabled the LLS to raise more than $1 billion for cancer research and patient care. Event registration fees alone could never touch that. TNT money - from friends, families and colleagues - has funded important breakthroughs in cancer treatments. It's pretty cool being at the dinner before an event and have them talk about specific medicines and research, all possible because of TNT.

I also know people, family friends, who were directly supported by the LLS. The society does more than fund research - it matches patients with experimental treatments and new treatments. It helps them find other support services. The human aspect of this really sealed the deal for me.

If you think about it, your friends will probably give some money to a charity. You are simply making them aware of this particular charity. I look at it as a worthwhile PITA.

Finally, there are lots of ways to raise money, other than simply asking. My friend and I had a beer tasting party - we got some interesting craft brews and charged folks $20 each to come and try beers they might not have seen yet. Some businesses are also very happy to help - a local bar I know of will let you sell extended happy hour tickets at the door. Restaurants will sometimes donate a percentage of an evening's profits to the cause. TNT's pretty good at helping you find this stuff, too.

*Gingerly hopping down from my little soap box now.*
    Agreed!

One other thing that I didn't know about TNT before I went to the orientation last weekend was that because leukemia and lymphoma aren't the type of cancers for which you get "screened for early detection", they don't waste a lot of energy or money on awareness campaigns. The majority of the money goes directly to either research or support of patients with the disease.