Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Saddle - non-padded shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a hybrid that I'm putting together as a bike to use for short trips. Mostly for shopping, actually, but also to do family rides with everyone. I don't want to wear my regular road cycling shorts, but rather regular street clothes. I'd like something that is still like my Selle Italia ldy or a Terry butterfly, but with more cushion to take the place of padding. Suggestions?
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

I ride my regular saddle with street clothes for commuting and short trips without any trouble. I agree with Muirenn, I'd try the saddle without padded shorts and go from there.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I sometimes use short liners with my hybrid, but am good up to 20 miles just in regular clothes.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I'm fine on my hybrid in street clothes, even jeans, now that I put a saddle on it that fits me. The farthest I've been is about 20 miles, but the limiting factor there is general bike fit, lack of destinations, and disinclination to ride such a heavy bike any farther. I have zero saddle/seam related problems.

My inclination would be to use LESS padding on a saddle I intended to ride in street clothes. The more you give seams the opportunity to sink and dig into your soft parts, the more they will take that opportunity...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've been riding it (on all but the hottest days, in the evening, with my family) for going on 2 months and it's not working for me (Terry saddle). I have no problems using this saddle with padded shorts for long rides (even 60 or 70 or more miles). I use it on my Lemond, too, and sometimes I'll ride it in the morning and it's fine with shorts. Then in the evening, it doesn't work for even a 5 mile ride to the park and back in street clothes. I'm not looking for a granny seat. This bike was one I bought for my mother, who is now gone, and I rode it with the cruiser seat a few times. Definitely not good. But I do want something a little more padded than the Terry seat. I'm looking for a happy medium.

I did try that very same gel cover (borrowed it from my neighbor friend) but it shifts as you ride. You can't get it tight enough. It was annoying.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by velo; 07-10-2012 at 03:43 AM.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    I've been riding it (on all but the hottest days, in the evening, with my family) for going on 2 months and it's not working for me (Terry saddle). I have no problems using this saddle with padded shorts for long rides (even 60 or 70 or more miles). I use it on my Lemond, too, and sometimes I'll ride it in the morning and it's fine with shorts. Then in the evening, it doesn't work for even a 5 mile ride to the park and back in street clothes. I'm not looking for a granny seat. This bike was one I bought for my mother, who is now gone, and I rode it with the cruiser seat a few times. Definitely not good. But I do want something a little more padded than the Terry seat. I'm looking for a happy medium.

I did try that very same gel cover (borrowed it from my neighbor friend) but it shifts as you ride. You can't get it tight enough. It was annoying.

Thanks all!
    The butterfly is what I use on my road bike and it is pretty well cushioned. Maybe it does make sense to try what Oakleaf suggested, an even less padded saddle. My hybrid has a harder saddle on it than my road bike and after a week or two adaptation period I can ride without bike shorts. But people differ so who knows.

If you try the more padded direction, TE has this cushier Serfas seat: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSE_RX922V.html. TE makes returns/exchanges easy. REI has another:http://www.rei.com/product/752077/se...-saddle-womens But, the profile of these seats look bigger than the Butterfly and maybe too close to the cruiser seat that wasn't good for you. Here is another possibility: http://www.rei.com/product/794376/se...-saddle-womens

Or maybe just use liner shorts.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What issues (symptoms) exactly are you having with the Terry?
    My butt hurts. Seriously. That's it. It's just uncomfortable. I can feel my sit bones grinding into the seat.

Goldfinch, that Serfas saddle looks just like what I'm looking for. I have bought from TE and you are right that the customer service is great. I am going to talk to dh about buying one and trying it out. Thanks!

On two of my bikes (Trek FX and Spec CRosstrail) I use the Sepcialized Dolce Sport Gel. It really works for me when I am in a more upright position. Kind of the same shape as their road saddles (Jett, Ruby) but more padded.
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...sdolcesportgel

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

My impatience got the best of me. I wanted to do a ride with my family tonight, without by bum hurting, so I sought out a local source for the Serfas saddle. It's perfect. We rode about 12 miles , to the park and back, and it was wonderful. Thanks again, goldfinch!!

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    My impatience got the best of me. I wanted to do a ride with my family tonight, without by bum hurting, so I sought out a local source for the Serfas saddle. It's perfect. We rode about 12 miles , to the park and back, and it was wonderful. Thanks again, goldfinch!!
    Funny. I had one of those and it was like a medieval torture device. But I know at least 2 women who LOVE it. My hooha hurts and goes numb just looking at it!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Funny. I had one of those and it was like a medieval torture device. But I know at least 2 women who LOVE it. My hooha hurts and goes numb just looking at it!
    I know - it's so funny. I would have thought the same thing. And I was very surprised that this Terry saddle I have that is a dream for me to ride on *with* cycling shorts, is a medieval torture device without them. I've done dozens of centuries over the years in this saddle, but without the shorts, it just wasn't any fun at all! It's just proof, for me, anyway, that the saddle alone is not the ticket... finding the right combo with shorts is.