Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Ohio to Erie

Ohio to Erie

To disable ads, please log-in.

I looked everywhere for information on this trail being ridden from the Ohio to Lake Erie. Everything I found started at Lake Erie and being that it was close to their home had very little about that end of the trip. So I headed out this morning from the Ohio River. I know I can get to Columbus, but after that who knows. I'm hoping to stop at a Columbus LBS and see if anyone there or to the North puts out as nice a map of that area as the Dayton Daily does the Southwestern part of The Ohio Rail Trails. Wish me luck! I printed off the million page map from the Ohio to Erie website already, I'm not a fan of those maps.
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46

Good luck! Just a warning--the area through which the Cleveland end of the Ohio-to-Erie trail goes through can be rough (I went to college not far from there).
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I just got back

So, I just got home from my ride across Ohio. It's doable but not signed well. Bring a real map. I printed off the maps at the Ohio to Erie Trail website. The names of the roads on those maps are way too small and there isn't enough detail to get you through the small towns. I carried about 100oz of water each morning and only had one day when I felt like I didn't have enough water. Mostly because I was focused on getting to my stopping place for the day and didn't want to get off the trail in Columbus to search for a drink. I was surprised that there were no water fountains along the Olentangy trail near campus.
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46

If you are inclined, a detailed trip report would be really nice. It sounds like an interesting trip.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I joined crazyguyonabike and will eventually get a journal from my trip posted with photos. It takes longer than I thought to get the information together.
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Glad you had a great trip! I can't wait to read all about it. Please share the link to your CGOAB journal when you finish!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/11427

I know it took too long to post but its finally here.
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46

Thanks for posting your trip report -- my husband and I really enjoyed it! He is originally from Ohio, and we have ridden a couple of those trails -- the towpath near Zoar and the Little Miami Trail in the Yellow Springs area. Ohio has GREAT trails, especially compared to the very few where I am from (North Carolina).

You didn't get any rain, did you? Looks like you had great weather! Maybe one day we will have the opportunity to ride across Ohio also!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I think that writing up the tour is every bit as difficult and time consuming as the tour itself. (Maybe I exaggerate, but not by much.) Thanks for putting in the effort, and for documenting the route so well. Now I have another trail on my list.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I so appreciate you posting your journal on CGOAB. Enjoyed it so much! You go girl. When is your next tour.
    callmej or jj
    2011 Giant Avail Adv. 1 - (Fizik Vesta)

Thanks for the great writeup! You've got me thinking about when I could do another tour now.

Thanks for all the great feedback! I'm sure I won't get as lucky with the weather during my next tour. I've been thinking and dreaming of my next tour! I went with some friends in the early spring up the bike trail to Yellow Springs and one of them is already wanting to plan another weekend tour/ bike overnight for next spring in Michigan. My brothers have also shown some interest in touring with me next summer. I'm thinking either the GAP/ C&O, or the KATY. Have any of you ridden either of these? The GAP/ C&O looks like about the same number of miles but I'm thinking of doing it all loaded up for camping. I'll have to find a good sleeping pad! Sounds like I'm leaning toward the GAP/ C&O. I didn't really think I had a preference.
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46