Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Cycling wedding

Cycling wedding

To disable ads, please log-in.

So it looks like my wedding is going to be in two months and I am still trying to decide what to do about some of the plans - my future husband, who prior the proposal said all wedding planning would be up to me, has now revealed all of these elaborate visions/plans/things that he wants to do . The plan is that we are riding our tandem bike to the wedding, having the ceremony (very casual and brief) and then back home to change into our clothes for the reception (and drive to that). I am trying to decide how I want to dress - I see that the ugly wedding gown cycling jersey is no longer available (not that I wanted it anyway) but there is a cute Sheila Moon dress I might want, and maybe put a veil on my helmet (have to figure out an updo that will survive the helmet!). Now what I'm stuck on is trying to find shoes that I can put Eggbeater cleats on that are not totally ugly. I might have to switch to SPD pedals so I can get these although I don't want to spend $200-300 or whatever those cost just for wedding cycling shoes (since I don't otherwise use SPD pedals). Although, could the Eggbeater cleats work on those too?

Does anyone have any links/suggestions for cute dresses I could ride 35 miles (round trip) in? How about attractive cycling shoes that are Eggbeater compatible? Thanks!
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"

Skirt Sports has cute dresses...or maybe something from Athleta or a tennis dress?

Why not do flat pedals for the day?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I would totally put flat pedals on the bike for the day and then wear whatever cute and comfy shoes you want! Plus, if it's a tandem, he can be clipped in and pull you along a little. I mean, it IS your wedding day. A veil on the helmet would be darling!

I LOVE what this couple did- they got 50 friends to ride to their wedding reception with them. I love what she's wearing, too. Wedding ride If they can do it in 105 degree heat, surely you could get some friends to ride with you. What a fun procession that would be.

What about just a cute white summer dress- maybe with a bolero or a shawl if the weather will be cool?
    This one is very sweet, but more formal.
    Or you could do a Nike tennis dress like this one.

Now *I* want to get married again and do it bike-style! (only get married to the same man, of course).

How fun for you!! Please tell us what you decide!
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 07-09-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Then again, I want these SO. BADLY. and they are highly fashionable and would work...AND husband-to-be knows how much I want them, and they would make a fabulous wedding present, wouldn't they?!
    2013 Volagi Viaje

Running Skirts makes dresses that come in a pretty wide variety of patterns, or check out Nuu-muu or Nike or maybe some tennis companies (K-Swiss?).

Oiselle makes a very cute running wedding dress but OMG is it expensive.

Just thinking...I bet you could get a simple white tennis dress (if you want white) and get a local seamstress to "bridal" it up a bit and add stretchy lace or whatever your dream dress might have...
    Last edited by jessmarimba; 07-09-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: brainstorm

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I think Grog had a cycling wedding segment (and she wore red shoe heels).

MojoGirl, it's your wedding. Have fun with some imaginative touches on the dress.

For shoes there are various styles that are flat ballet dance shoes, sometimes with a strap buckle so shoe doesn't slip while cycling, and underside is slight rubber sole with some traction so that you wouldn't slip off platform pedals. Ballet dance shoe styles would give you more colour choices ie. silver, gold, white, red, purple, royal blue...
    In the end, you will have a new pair of shoes to wear that's practical for streetwear/biz wear after wedding.

I like the idea of a lovely white dress oriented for tennis..but I would sew on some fun clear/shiny sequins in a simple flower or pattern somewhere to dress up as a wedding dress. Or sew around the edges of hem with some lovely ribbon or with lace/floral trim.

There are cloth or ribbon roses that can be bought premade or made and sewn onto the dress also. Let your imagination abit loose. Just something tasteful that would be memorable for the dress.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 07-09-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoGrrl View Post
    Then again, I want these SO. BADLY. and they are highly fashionable and would work...AND husband-to-be knows how much I want them, and they would make a fabulous wedding present, wouldn't they?!
    oh- I think you need to have those!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post

Oiselle makes a very cute running wedding dress but OMG is it expensive.
    Holy crap! I mean, I never would have thought that such a thing existed at all, but yeah, wow, that's pricey (for a running wedding dress, that is. For a "real" wedding dress I could easily spend $15,000 on some ugly designer gown).
    Last edited by MojoGrrl; 07-09-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    2013 Volagi Viaje

Thanks for all the suggestions! Some of those dresses are really cute and look doable on a bike...I'm concerned that it might be really hot that day so I'm thinking maybe I should wear something more like an athletic dress for the ride (or maybe just ride in regular cycling gear?) and change for the ceremony...early September is still summer here and it can be in the mid 90's. SO MANY CHOICES! I need to just make up my damn mind...
    2013 Volagi Viaje

Thumbs up

Holy crap! I mean, I never would have thought that such a thing existed at all, but yeah, wow, that's pricey (for a running wedding dress, that is. For a "real" wedding dress I could easily spend $15,000 on some ugly designer gown).
    Add the word "wedding" to anything and automatically increase the price about 100x. Go fig.

I just want to add that I LOVE that you are doing a bike wedding. Woohoo!
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Those are fabulous!! Now I want them too. Have fun planning, what a unique and personal plan you have.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I don't have any suggestions, but I just wanted to say congrats, and that you have a cute idea, and here is a photo I found that I think is ADORABLE:

Head's up on tennis dresses. They are really clingy - they show every bulge if you have any???

I wear skirts and tops, but so far I've never found a dress that looked very good on me. When you order, you might want to buy a size up from what you think you would wear.

Spoke

What about a cute short white dress(not an athletic dress)

white house black market has a few short ones. There are a bunch of neat wedding dress designers that have short dresses.

I am wearing a long dress from Saja but she makes some great short ones along with checking on Etsy(a lot of great designers sell through Etsy for wedding gowns and can alter to your length and then the price is less due to less material/work).

Lots of things to think of!