Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Trail shoes

Trail shoes

To disable ads, please log-in.

After an hour at the LRS, I'm sympathizing with those of you who have difficult times finding bikes that fit.

I prefer shoes with a low heel-toe drop. I have a pretty low volume foot, that's narrow at the arch and heel but too wide in the toes to fit narrow shoes. On the road I run in Kinvaras, which are ok but not the best (especially on steeper downhills) - they're too wide at the base of the arch.

I have given up on finding trail shoes that fit. My Brooks PureGrit fit okay, but they're causing lots of pain and I don't particularly know why. My only other option, it seems, is the New Balance WT 10, which is a really really skimpy shoe. I might just go for it, since my trail runs are generally shorter than 10 miles and trails are softer (mostly) anyway.

I guess I'm not particularly asking for advice, I just want to whine. I don't know what to do at this point, except wait (again) for something new to come out. I tried on probably 15 pairs of shoes today and had a very understanding salesperson. I almost wanted to buy something just to thank the guy for his patience.

I'm going to remember this experience the next time I'm having trouble at a clothing store. At least I can get clothes tailored to fit!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I can commisserate with you on this one. I have no problem with road shoes, but with trail shoes...oy vay!

My latest trail shoes are and Salomons, and while I do love them and they fit me well... the soles are too soft/forgiving and my arches hurt after an hour or more out there. It seems all trail shoes are soft (I've tried Brooks, Asics, and Montrails). I put my stiff orthotics in them, but they are still not stiff enough for me. I'm tempted to run in my road shoes, but they allow too much grit/sand in and then it causes blisters.

I hope you can find something that works for you...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I hope you can find something that works for you...
    You too! I did just read that NB is coming out with a thicker-soled 4mm drop trail shoe next month (WT 1010). AND the Kinvara TR for women should be out soon. I can be patient for a few more weeks, I guess.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    You too! I did just read that NB is coming out with a thicker-soled 4mm drop trail shoe next month (WT 1010). AND the Kinvara TR for women should be out soon. I can be patient for a few more weeks, I guess.
    Once these new shoes wear out, I might try the Kinvara or the NB. I haven't had luck with NB road shoes fitting right, but maybe the trail shoe will.

Crossing fingers they work for you!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I don't know anything about low-drop (or even what that means), but I have narrow, low-volume feet and was fitted in Vasque Blur trail-running shoes at REI. I use the Green Superfeet in them, and they work really well for me. They are not a narrow size but run narrower than other trail-runners, so said the fitter. Don't know if you've tried them or if they are even made anymore (mine are 2-3 years old), but I've been really happy with these shoes. Wear them for running, walking, and hiking.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks, Emily. I've used some of the Vasque shoes for hiking in the past and they were great, but I've been looking for trail shoes with less structure (and less heel bulk) for running. Shoe weight is about the equivalent of wheel weight and I'm definitely hooked on the lighter road shoes. Just not having much luck with off-road!

Jess, have you tried the Saucony Peregrine or the new Xodus 3.0. The Xodus was re-designed from the ground up and ain't the same aminal as the old 2.0. My foot sounds very similar to yours except it is tall. I think it is worth checking out both models.

The Asics Gel Trail Attack 7 sounds like what you want except the heel drop is too extreme and the sole too thick! However, since the trend is to lower the drop and reduce the sole maybe Asics changing that in the next model. Might be worth checking with them. It seems like this is the time of year for the new models to start showing up.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Just to offer a positive review - I run in the NB Minimus trail (WT10) on the road and LOVE them. They were the only shoe wide enough in the toes for me, but narrow enough through the arch to keep my feet from sliding around (ie, forward) on long runs. And I went through LOTS of shoes before finding these.

Running in them on trails (which I don't get to do that often) is almost as much fun as running barefoot! They feel great!

(and I had zero luck with the NB Minimus road - they didn't fit my foot at all)
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Thanks all.

Neither the Peregrine nor the Xodus fit.

I love the NB WT 10 (they are actually the only shoe that DOES fit) but I am wary of transitioning to so little cushioning this late in the season. I need something that's going to work for the Pikes Peak ascent. I'd like to see how the WT 1010 will fit, though rumor has it they are running wider (at least in the men's shoe reviews). It may be that the WT10 ends up my only available choice.

After lots of time staring at my feet as I veg on the couch resting my sore calf, I migh have figured out the problem.

My feet would probably be at least 2 sizes smaller if I didn't have such GIGANTIC monkey toes. I'm not kidding. My big toes are practically opposable.

So clearly, I should just buy a size 8 shoe and cut holes for my toes. Ta-da!! Problem solved.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    jess, I have really long toes, too. Sometimes I'm not sure whose feet I have.

Long shot, but have you looked at the Hoka One One? It's like a 3 or 4 mm drop but obviously with a substantial sole. I'd say a good 40% + of the ultra running crowd here wears them and swears by them (including my TRR partner). Not the shoe for me (I'm pretty much in love with the Peregrine 2), but I don't know anyone who has them that has gone back to, uh, more "traditional" shoes.

I run on pretty technical trails and long ago came to the conclusion that while I like a shallower drop (like 3-4 mm), I do not like a minimal sole. The shoe manufacturers are finally figuring out that there is a market for this type of shoe.

I'm surprised SadieKate didn't mention the Scarpa running shoes. Have you seen them?

I didn't because what I read talked about high volume feet. Maybe that was for only some models. You saw them in person. What did you think?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    I'm surprised SadieKate didn't mention the Scarpa running shoes. Have you seen them?
    Haven't seen them in person. I don't think the running stores have them but it looks like REI & Wilderness Exchange do, so I'll definitely check them out.

have you looked at the New Balance 101 (9mm differential) or the New Balance 110 (4mm differential, same last as the NB WR10)?

Other brands to look at are Newton, Inov-8, Vivo Barefoot, Merrell. Try reading some of the reviews on birthdayshoes.com and se if anything fits your criteria.

Yep. No luck.

I seriously tried on almost every trail shoe in the store - mens, unisex, cross-country flats, you name it. I was actually going to just buy another pair of the Kinvara (road) but they're unstable through the arch on downhills...plus the store was out of my size.