Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Newbie addicted to speed...and of course questions

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies!

Just wanted to jump on here and finally say hello! I have been lurking on here for months, but neglected to sign up until I got my road bike. I got my new speedy machine yesterday, and I am super excited to get started.

I have been an avid indoor cyclist for several years, and I decided that I needed to get outside and live a little!

Of couse, I have a billion questions, but I will only pick the collective mind here for a few! Thanks in advance for all yall's help! What a great resource for active women!

What are the gear necessities I need? Essentially, all I have is a bike. And of course, I'm on a budget (librarians are not rollin in it)
    Brain bucket suggestions?
    How did yall learn to ride? A book? A riding group?

Welcome. We need bike pics!

Definitely get one or preferable two pair of quality, not cheap bike shorts. If you don't already have cages for water bottles, they are a must. Gloves are good.

EDIT: Helmet!!! I didn't put it at first as I assumed it was a given, but just in case.....
    Last edited by murielalex; 07-08-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    EDIT: Helmet!!! I didn't put it at first as I assumed it was a given, but just in case.....
    Yea for sure! Do you have any suggestions? Will a nice Bell cut it?

Quote Originally Posted by litgirl84 View Post
    Yea for sure! Do you have any suggestions? Will a nice Bell cut it?
    You need to go to a LBS and try some on. Some folks seem to have "Bell heads" and others "Giro heads", and of course there are other brands as well, and a bevy of colors and styles.

Aside from what has already been suggested, either a Camelbak or a couple of water bottles and cages so you can hydrate on rides. And either an under-seat bag or jersey with rear pockets (or both) so you can carry a snack, cell phone, a replacement tube. A multi-tool and tire irons are good to have too. Even if you don't know how to use it all (yet), oftentimes someone you're riding with or a passing cyclist can help. A bandanna for wiping sweat and/or blowing your nose (if you get drippy like me when you ride). Decent sunglasses to protect your eyes.

Welcome to TE!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow