Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

The Mitten Pedaler - for my Michigan TE'er friends

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Mitten Pedaler is written by a friend of mine who helped to introduce me back into bicycling. Listening to Jim's bicycling adventures and trips stirred something in me that brought me back to the bike.

He is touring the perimiter of our "mitten" state, Michigan, and has been posting updates on his travels and bicycling experience on a blog that can be found here http://mitten-pedaler.posterous.com/. The photos are great as is the writing of the journey.

Michiganders enjoy! Pure Michigan!
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Cool! I'll definitely check it out. I grew up in Michigan and am going back for a visit in a couple weeks. Hoping to find a place to rent a road bike and get in a couple long rides.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Thank you! We spent several days in the Leelanau Peninsula camping and cycling 3 weeks ago. I wholeheartedly agree with his statement, "Cycling Mecca up here. Grand views from mostly wide, smooth shoulders of M-22 following the coast. About as close to Heaven on Earth as you can get, I imagine. Too bad for the cars."
    2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur

Try that "tunnel of trees " between Cross village and Harbor Springs. Rivals anything I've done in the Appalachian mountains!

Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    Try that "tunnel of trees " between Cross village and Harbor Springs. Rivals anything I've done in the Appalachian mountains!
    Jim the Mitten Pedaler and I have another mutual friend George who always does the Shoreline West Michigan Tour from south to north and that route goes through the "tunnel of trees" I've heard it's amazing and hope to ride through it some day.

There are just so many great places in Michigan to ride and not enough time!
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Anyone doing HOLLAND HUNDRED , speaking of nice rides?

oh, I havent been on the Kal-Haven Trail since I left the Mitten in 1992.
    Loved that trail, one of my favorite in the whole wide world.
    commuter: a Giant Sedona '97
    road: Giant OCR c3 '08 | 105/Ultegra
    lusting a Sweet Pea A-line for when DH sweeps me out to sea

Quote Originally Posted by ak2outside View Post
    oh, I havent been on the Kal-Haven Trail since I left the Mitten in 1992.
    Loved that trail, one of my favorite in the whole wide world.

I've been camping near there. Guess I'll have to get on that trail now that I have a mountain bike!

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    Anyone doing HOLLAND HUNDRED , speaking of nice rides?
    Never again. For years our JDRF team has had members who have worked the event, in exchange for a portion of the proceeds. The Macatawa Cycling Club had verbally guaranteed the local JDRF chapter a certain $$ amount for our fundraising accounts.

AFTER we all worked it in sweltering heat, last year, they ended up throwing what amounted to pocket change at us and totally going back on their monetary support promise. Someone at MCC also suggested that the JDRF isn't even a real charity.

HH is not a nice ride, IMO--it was my first century 2 years ago, but I have no plans to do it again (even if there weren't bad blood). The Allegrina 100 is in the same general area, a prettier route, friendlier event, and supports a great cause (a scholarship fund at GVSU for non-traditional students). It also has a big party at the finish and starts and ends at the Felt Mansion in Saugatuck.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2