Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Favorite snack & drink while out on a ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm just getting into going for longer and longer rides (for me that's over 25 miles) and I was wondering if you stop and take a break what is the best snack and drink which is healthy and tastes good too. What's all this I keep hearing about pie??? Everytime my husband looks up a bike ride they mention free pie at the rest points and after the ride.
    Is this some kind of cycling tradition?
    Last edited by Custardcup1; 07-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.

I mostly stick to bananas, dried fruit and nuts, Clif shots, Paydays and Larabars for self-supported rides. Cytomax is my drink of choice but that's mostly because I have a giant jug of it. I haven't tried a ton of others.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I mostly stick to bananas, dried fruit and nuts, Clif shots, Paydays and Larabars for self-supported rides. Cytomax is my drink of choice but that's mostly because I have a giant jug of it. I haven't tried a ton of others.
    My ride food looks a lot like this, though I would have Power or Cliff bars rather than a Payday or Larabar. Heed is my drink of choice, and for longer rides I really like Lemon Lime Accelerade.

I recently got turned onto Skratch Labs "secret drink mix". I believe it has more sodium & less sugar than typical replacement drinks like gatorade. It is supposed to make your gut happier. Honestly, I never noticed feeling bloaty on Gatorade until after I switched and NOT being bloaty with Skratch. It's got a good flavor too.

For food, I eat PBJ, Larabars, trail mix, bananas & sometimes Nutter Butter cookies. Obviously, not all on one ride!

I like Pur bars, Larabars, pbj, cheese & crackers, and bananas. If I am ambitious enough to make these muffins, I like taking them on rides.

Oatmeal cookies.
    Water or Nuun.

For rides over 25 mi I like pbj sammiches in quarters. Sometimes apple or banana. Ride bananas make Brewer sick. Weird, huh?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Cliff bars and Powerade with a TON of ice in my Podium Ice bottles.

2012 Specialized Amira Elite, upgraded carbon handle bars, Jett saddle 143mm switched to 145mm 2012 Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle
    TigerMom is offline Reply With Quote

Cliff bars (vanilla and chocolate-peanutbutter), Bloks. Cliff Protein bars right after the ride. Bananas (which I don't like but I make myself eat) at the 'half way point'. Sometimes I substitute dried bananas from Trader Joes (somehow I like them better), and mixed nuts. As for what to drink, I stick with my two main cycling drinks, water and GU electrolyte drink but I will be trying Cytomax when the GU is finished. After the ride, a glass of lactose free low fat milk with Ovaltine. If I have to refill the liquid during the ride, I stick with water and when I run out of the electrolyte drink, I switch to the bloks.

Once I tried hauling a corned beef sandwitch on rye in my Camelback on a challenging MTB ride and ate that on a stop. It was a bit much and I ended up belching corned beef all the way back. But it sure tasted good when I had it. Now I stick with peanut butter or Nutella and jelly.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Quote Originally Posted by amb View Post
    I recently got turned onto Skratch Labs "secret drink mix". I believe it has more sodium & less sugar than typical replacement drinks like gatorade. It is supposed to make your gut happier.

I also love Skratch's drink mix. For longer rides, I will still use sustained energy drink as supplemental fuel, but for hydration I don't think you can beat Skratch.

I eat as much as possible on the bike as opposed to stopping. I do a lot better when i eat real food - sandwiches, pizza, nuts, tamales, and use gel blocks as a rescue fuel if I get behind.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I cut gatorade with water and then add gatorlytes. Favorite food (I'm not the healthiest eater when I exercise) are those nutterbutter minis. Or a payday bar or Kashi roll. Or I can tolerate most of the Honey Stinger stuff.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

One of these days, I swear I'm going to pull out a piece of fried chicken from my back pocket.

Real answer: Secret Drink Mix, Bloks or sport beans, a Clif or Luna bar, Gus by the handful.

I'm starting to get really annoyed by all the sweet stuff, though. I'm starting to brainstorm out how to package savory flavors like Gu, and have a mid-ride Guacamole shot, pretzel and mustard, or turkey gravy. The trick is how to still get enough high-glycemic carbs in it...

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    I'm starting to get really annoyed by all the sweet stuff, though. I'm starting to brainstorm out how to package savory flavors like Gu, and have a mid-ride Guacamole shot, pretzel and mustard, or turkey gravy. The trick is how to still get enough high-glycemic carbs in it...

-- gnat!
    If someone made a mashed potatoes and gravy "gu" I would probably eat it. I just cannot do that goopy texture with sweet stuff. It makes me gag.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    If someone made a mashed potatoes and gravy "gu" I would probably eat it. I just cannot do that goopy texture with sweet stuff. It makes me gag.
    Gawd, mashed potatoes and gravy would be awesome. Or biscuits and gravy!
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

I'd go for chicken too, but I'd worry about poisoning myself because it would not be cold.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I've tried to have chicken before, or during a ride, and the results have never been fun - it is just too much for my stomach.

While I am not all that fond of the taste, I've started using Margarita Shot Bloks in this heatwave we have been having. They are certainly not sweet and one serving (3 bloks) have a whopping 210mg sodium, all of the other Bloks have 70. Same amount of potassium, 20mg.

I really like the Honey Stinger bars - but they all melt so easily The Honey Stinger Waffles aren't covered in chocolate so that isn't the problem, but the size and shape aren't bike friendly - at least to me they aren't. They are very sweet though, and that gets to me. Right now I am really liking a couple of the Power Bar offerings, not so sweet, not melty, and my body likes them as much as Cliff bars. Cheaper too